What's new

Looking to talk to Ex-Scientologists about how COS gets and keeps members

hudsonnkh

Hi there! I'm working on a paper about how Scientology utilizes (I hesitate to use this word) brainwashing to bring in new members and keep the ones it has, specifically in terms of manipulation via an aesthetic experience. I'd love to talk to anyone who can provide any insight on this matter, in any method of communication that anyone might be comfortable with (email, phone call, texting, etc.). Any other resources that anyone can recommend would also be greatly appreciated, but more than anything, I'm looking for first-hand accounts.

Thank you!

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
Hi there! I'm working on a paper about how Scientology utilizes (I hesitate to use this word) brainwashing to bring in new members and keep the ones it has, specifically in terms of manipulation via an aesthetic experience. I'd love to talk to anyone who can provide any insight on this matter, in any method of communication that anyone might be comfortable with (email, phone call, texting, etc.). Any other resources that anyone can recommend would also be greatly appreciated, but more than anything, I'm looking for first-hand accounts.

Thank you!

Hi...I'm an ex member and I certainly know there's lots of conditioning (or brainwashing) in CofS. I would say, though, that this is what comes a bit later. It's how they keep people in, not necessarily how they get them in. IMO, it's more like a combo of a used car or timeshare or MLM sales pitch and a love bombing at the beginning.

I'm up for a chat... claireswazey (at) yahoo

Anonycat

Crusader

Thank you!

Getting new people in. Brief answer. It has changed dramatically over the years. It started with a cheap class called the Communications Course, and during this odd but fairly innocent program, the indoctrination begins. And the love-bombing. Suddenly you're part of a group that seems they just can't have enough time with you, or to wit, you cannot spend too much time there. As the course goes on, staff members will expose you to different parts of the cult, like the Tone Scale, shown on a poster. They might tell you that the mission is to "Clear the Planet", and various other things. They seem very excited and eager to get you to pre-pay for the next class. And they're more than happy to to put words in your mouth. The promises of continuing classes include: You'll always be way up there on the Tone Scale (very happy, never any less), you won't need glasses, leave your body at will with full perception, you won't get sick, and if you go OT (Operating Thetan) the benefits include "cause" (power and control) over Mass, Energy, Space and Time (MEST). Of course, that is a time traveling wizard. In short, you'll be the God-like spirit you were before Incident 1 (the creation of the universe, claimed to have happened quadrillions of years ago, and Incident 2, which is the Xenu story we all know so well, these days. In the beginning, you will not be told of Incident 1 & 2, and even hearing of Incident 2, will kill you, most likely of pneumonia. Xenu, which is OT3, is what South Park famously showed in one of their programs.

There are other bizarre things that Hubbard tells of, called Implants, and you can Google that to see the Wiki page. It's very sci-fi, with Marcabians from the tail of the big dipper, Cat People, Gorilla Goals, the Coffee Grinder Incident, tons of drug-fueled ramblings and really crap science fiction.

Today, you'll be told that you'll be more assertive, confident, maybe have more "beingness" [sic], more successful in relationships, work, and stuff like that. Where as before, you'd see that Hubbard said "you can knock a man's hat off" and "read a book in another country", promising telekinesis and Remote Viewing.

How to keep someone in. This is a very developed system of indoctrination, brainwashing, and personality replacement. New lingo is learned; some non-sense words that Hubbard created, and some English words with newly assigned meanings. You will be made to feel you're a part of a group, and when all the various methods come together, the goal is complete retention of culties. You can also become a staff member to get free services, and gosh, don't you want to end crime, insanity, and become as perfect as you were 4 quadrillion years ago? For all eternity? Wow, what a great value. Spend you retirement, take out 2 mortgages, hell, sell your house, everything must go to "secure your eternity".

There ya go.

Last edited:

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron

Thank you!

Hi...see my underlined bolded above...they're trying an appeal to this with their Ideal Org program, luring unsuspecting people in with nice over-the-top buildings an aesthetic experience if you like.

As for the washing of brains...Margaret Sanger sums it pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bRBFhMEQFk

The moment one agrees with, even slightly, just one piece of the Scientology pie, maybe something written in one of Hubbard's books, one is open to more and then more and so on. One is being brainwashed. And that was my experience.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Getting new people in. Brief answer. It has changed dramatically over the years. It started with a cheap class called the Communications Course, and during this odd but fairly innocent program, the indoctrination begins. And the love-bombing. Suddenly you're part of a group that seems they just can't have enough time with you, or to wit, you cannot spend too much time there. As the course goes on, staff members will expose you to different parts of the cult, like the Tone Scale, shown on a poster. They might tell you that the mission is to "Clear the Planet", and various other things. They seem very excited and eager to get you to pre-pay for the next class. And they're more than happy to to put words in your mouth. The promises of continuing classes include: You'll always be way up there on the Tone Scale (very happy, never any less), you won't need glasses, leave your body at will with full perception, you won't get sick, and if you go OT (Operating Thetan) the benefits include "cause" (power and control) over Mass, Energy, Space and Time (MEST). Of course, that is a time traveling wizard. In short, you'll be the God-like spirit you were before Incident 1 (the creation of the universe, claimed to have happened quadrillions of years ago, and Incident 2, which is the Xenu story we all know so well, these days. In the beginning, you will not be told of Incident 1 & 2, and even hearing of Incident 2, will kill you, most likely of pneumonia. Xenu, which is OT3, is what South Park famously showed in one of their programs.

There are other bizarre things that Hubbard tells of, called Implants, and you can Google that to see the Wiki page. It's very sci-fi, with Marcabians from the tail of the big dipper, Cat People, Gorilla Goals, the Coffee Grinder Incident, tons of drug-fueled ramblings and really crap science fiction.

Today, you'll be told that you'll be more assertive, confident, maybe have more "beingness" [sic], more successful in relationships, work, and stuff like that. Where as before, you'd see that Hubbard said "you can knock a man's hat off" and "read a book in another country", promising telekinesis and Remote Viewing.

How to keep someone in. This is a very developed system of indoctrination, brainwashing, and personality replacement. New lingo is learned; some non-sense words that Hubbard created, and some English words with newly assigned meanings. You will be made to feel you're a part of a group, and when all the various methods come together, the goal is complete retention of culties. You can also become a staff member to get free services, and gosh, don't you want to end crime, insanity, and become as perfect as you were 4 quadrillion years ago? For all eternity? Wow, what a great value. Spend you retirement, take out 2 mortgages, hell, sell your house, everything must go to "secure your eternity".

There ya go.

Whoa! Superb Summary!

Jeez, too bad the government doesn't legally require the registrar to take out a little card with the above DISCLOSURES & DISCLAIMER and read it to the anyone they are about to "handle", lie to, trick, psychologically manipulate, defraud, coerce and take money from.

Kind of like police having to read the "Miranda Warning" to a someone before arresting, interrogating and incarcerating them. That would pretty much end Scientology right there. LOL.

Final thought; I have an alternate definition of "INCIDENT I" and "INCIDENT II".

INCIDENT I: Walking into a Scientology Org on day one and listening to them promise and guarantee your fondest & most dreamed of 3 wishes.

INCIDENT II: Afterwards, cheerfully waiting for that to happen and doing whatever they tell you to get your magic lamp to work.

Scientologists famously sit still and "wait for that to happen" without blinking, twitching or letting their steady gaze/thoughts wander away. Often for decades!

Remarkably, the cure for those "Incidents" is rather simple.

Cure for Incident I: Walk out of the org.

Cure for Incident II: Stop waiting.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader

Thank you!

By aesthetics are you referring to this kind of crap? The use of sounds and images and photoshop to manipulate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3GWfg71PsM

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIUlr9ii2dQ
or simple mind control

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYDnS_Er5k

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
If you are interested in aesthetics, Scientology likes their ogres to look like a Vegas hotel.

Have a look at their event videos and compare them to the Nuremburg rally's.

Also part of this polished image involves shooing away homeless people, there is a video of this on YouTube somewhere. This would give you the opportunity of dropping the fact that in Scientology, charity is a out-ethics ie a sin.

This would make a good Segway into talking about the Volunteer Ministers, who don't do anything but make photo opportunities.

Look into Scientology volunteer ministers in Haiti. There's tons of stuff on that.