What's new

Memory loss and other strange phenomena

phenomanon

Canyon
I totally agree with you on (not) taking pills. Modern medicine was presumably a GREAT thing at one time, when it was designed to treat illness. What we have inherited from the past is still really useful - the ability to fix rotten teeth, deal with medical emergencies, antibiotics, etc. But in my view, the current health care system is, as you say, designed to maximise profits for pharmaceutical companies etc. It's the same thing with things like white goods (refrigerators, washing machines, etc), as I mentioned on another thread somewhere. We had the problem of making a washing machine that lasts 20 years licked in the 1970s. Now they (deliberately) don't last more than 5 or 6 years if you are lucky. There is an epidemic of diseases like diabetes in the West. The cause is obvious, and yet we have things like low-fat yoghurt on sale (which is still full of sugar), and mainstream doctors seem to have no idea of the cause. This is the problem of profit maximisation coupled with absolutely no ethics. Scientology is suffering exactly the same "dwindling spiral".

It's a very clever trick that manufacturers pull. They make it so that people are more concerned about the aesthetics of a product than its durability. With a little bit of reading and experimentation, I bet you could make a washing machine that would last for decades, and would be easy to repair. But making it look aesthetically pleasing is quite another problem, probably beyond the budgets of most people with a workshop in their back yard.

You see the same phenomenon with buildings. Look at any local government building or university or college, and the newly built buildings are all glass and plastic. Don't last five minutes, but look nice for a while. New-build houses use the poorest quality materials they can get away with. It's a very interesting (but tedious) phenomenon to watch unfold.

W.

:thumbsup::goodposting:

I totally agree with you on (not) taking pills. Modern medicine was presumably a GREAT thing at one time, when it was designed to treat illness. What we have inherited from the past is still really useful - the ability to fix rotten teeth, deal with medical emergencies, antibiotics, etc. But in my view, the current health care system is, as you say, designed to maximise profits for pharmaceutical companies etc. It's the same thing with things like white goods (refrigerators, washing machines, etc), as I mentioned on another thread somewhere. We had the problem of making a washing machine that lasts 20 years licked in the 1970s. Now they (deliberately) don't last more than 5 or 6 years if you are lucky. There is an epidemic of diseases like diabetes in the West. The cause is obvious, and yet we have things like low-fat yoghurt on sale (which is still full of sugar), and mainstream doctors seem to have no idea of the cause. This is the problem of profit maximisation coupled with absolutely no ethics. Scientology is suffering exactly the same "dwindling spiral".

It's a very clever trick that manufacturers pull. They make it so that people are more concerned about the aesthetics of a product than its durability. With a little bit of reading and experimentation, I bet you could make a washing machine that would last for decades, and would be easy to repair. But making it look aesthetically pleasing is quite another problem, probably beyond the budgets of most people with a workshop in their back yard.

You see the same phenomenon with buildings. Look at any local government building or university or college, and the newly built buildings are all glass and plastic. Don't last five minutes, but look nice for a while. New-build houses use the poorest quality materials they can get away with. It's a very interesting (but tedious) phenomenon to watch unfold.

W.
It's a vicious cycle. It is also planned obsolescence. As the value of the dollar goes down then they have to make cheaper and cheaper products to sell them to match the inflated dollar. If there if there was a way to stop inflation so the dollar was steady and pay people a decent wage, who could then afford quality products, then the products would last. But they don't. It's all about making money for the top few percent.

Mimsey

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

W.

I just wrote a huge rant about the state of the world we now live in (vile toxic chemicals in everything ... food, water, the air, pharmaceuticals, modern furniture, building products, carpets, cars, cleaning products, paints, varnishes and cosmetics and even clothing are all potentially contaminated and throwing off harmful compounds ... I could go on and on and on) but deleted it because it just makes me crabby even thinking about it.

Why have we allowed this to happen?

We are being played left, right and centre and all we can do is continue to try and navigate through all the endless spin and shite and do the best we possibly can while we still have the energy to do so.

I get furious ... people wonder why asthma and allergies are so prevalent (amongst so many other things).

You can see now why I deleted my rant and just wrote a few lines instead ... I shall wander outside and breathe deeply (oh wait ... perhaps not).

The Chinese export their crap to the rest of the world but are buying big in certain "clean" countries to export back to China ('Daigou' shoppers) ... I'd laugh if I still had a SOH but it's completely deserted me.

I'm glad I managed to restrain myself from ranting though ...

:whistling:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I just wrote a huge rant about the state of the world we now live in (vile toxic chemicals in everything ... food, water, the air, pharmaceuticals, modern furniture, building products, carpets, cars, cleaning products, paints, varnishes and cosmetics and even clothing are all potentially contaminated and throwing off harmful compounds ... I could go on and on and on) but deleted it because it just makes me crabby even thinking about it.

We are being played left, right and centre and all we can do is continue to try and navigate through all the endless spin and shite and do the best we possibly can while we still have the energy to do so.

I get furious ... people wonder why asthma and allergies are so prevalent (amongst so many other things).

You can see now why I deleted my rant and just wrote a few lines instead ... I shall wander outside and breathe deeply (oh wait ... perhaps not).

The Chinese export their crap to the rest of the world but are buying big in certain "clean" countries to export back to China ('Daigou' shoppers) ... I'd laugh if I still had a SOH but it's completely deserted me.

Oh oh oh..
My french ranting radar scanned this post and sent an alert...:unsure:

You degraded french frog BT leave this anglo-saxon body alone...Right now!
:grouch::grouch:

*whispering*

Sis..keep protecting you..you will need...
:biggrin:

survivalkit.1268070328.thumbnail.jpg

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Oh oh oh..
My french ranting radar scanned this post and sent an alert...:unsure:

You degraded french frog BT leave this anglo-saxon body alone...Right now!
:grouch::grouch:

*whispering*

Sis..keep protecting you..you will need...

survivalkit.1268070328.thumbnail.jpg

Well ... look what the cat dragged home!

If it takes a mad rant to get you back here it was well worth the effort.

It's lovely to see youuuuuuuuuuuuuu ....

PS I'm not wearing that moustache!

phenomanon

Canyon
Well ... look what the cat dragged home!

If it takes a mad rant to get you back here it was well worth the effort.

It's lovely to see youuuuuuuuuuuuuu ....

PS I'm not wearing that moustache!

Both of you are a disgrace to the Board,in posting stuff about someone's scriptures by mentioning BTs. On a Public Board! You both shall report to Galactic Ethics within 200,253.07 years, 47 hours and 11 seconds, otherwise you are dead meat.

Galactic Patrol MAA (Iheld from above).

phenomanon

Canyon

You should try smoking pot. If I didn't toke up once in awhile, I might be dangerous.:cloud9:

phenomanon

Canyon
It is Legal here, and there are innumerable 'upstat' looking stores. They even advertise on the Ferries in a big, color magazine, with a MAP of the stores included.
Then, you have your "homegrown", or regular markets still operating.
It's amazing.
The State is raking in Billions of $$$$$ in tax money.
These stores are State Regulated, and all kinds of testing and licensing is done
Seems funny to me that one has to have a Prescription to buy Medical, but anyone over 21 can buy Recreational right over the counter.
These place sell Cannabis in so many forms, it would make your head swim. LOL!:tease:

phenomanon

Canyon
a kid in a candy store

:giggle:

Us old hippies are not into the by-products, like Edibles and etc.
I'm just saying it's a going bizniz on the West Coast, and Colorado. Colorado stores sold so much Cannabis that they ran out of product,
I think it's hilarious. I knew a guy once ( he got me into Dn) who was arrested with one joint, and was given 16 years in a Texas prison. He served 8 yrs on the charge. Now it is legal.
We've come a long way, baby.
Medical is its own story. The research and success of Medical Cannabis is becoming known for the multitude of cures it delivers.
As for Recreational, there's nothing better as an anti-depressant.
That's your lesson for today.

Us old hippies are not into the by-products, like Edibles and etc.
I'm just saying it's a going bizniz on the West Coast, and Colorado. Colorado stores sold so much Cannabis that they ran out of product,
I think it's hilarious. I knew a guy once ( he got me into Dn) who was arrested with one joint, and was given 16 years in a Texas prison. He served 8 yrs on the charge. Now it is legal.
We've come a long way, baby.
Medical is its own story. The research and success of Medical Cannabis is becoming known for the multitude of cures it delivers.
As for Recreational, there's nothing better as an anti-depressant.
That's your lesson for today.
I gave up on it while in college in the sixties. I felt dull and lethargic - it took a month after I quit for it to wear off and to feel alive and awake again.

Mimsey