What's new

My brief encounter with Scientology in 1997

hitfan

New member here. I've always been fascinated by Scientology. I never joined, however. I was made aware of Scientology because I was approached by somebody on the street in downtown Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to take a "free personality test" in 1997. So I walked inside the building.

Knowing nothing of Scn, I took the test in a somewhat humorous if ironic way (to humor the one administering the test), not really caring how I came across and tried to answer as honestly as I could. According to the person who administered the test, I had a short attention span and lacked empathy in general. But I also could be helped and improve my character flaws with Dianetics, and eventually, Scientology.

It's true that I always struggled to listen to lectures in class from my formative school years all the way to college. I still passed, because I'm the type of person who can read only portions of a text in a half-hearted manner and grasp what is being taught by just extrapolating common sense and educated guesses. Case in point, I was quite proficient in spelling bee competitions, being able to sense how words in English should be spelled by a simple basic understanding of the rules of the language. And English wasn't even my first language, having learned it from watching Sesame Street as a child.

As for lacking empathy, shouldn't that be a feature and not a flaw? Aren't there creeps and charlatans who take advantage of those who are good-natured? I am that countervailing force that is sometimes needed in this world. Yin-yang and all that. I was quite the cold fish when I was young, but I enjoy having time alone. I wasn't a complete social pariah, my above-average good looks allowed me to talk my way into going out with a member of the opposite sex once in a while, in spite of having the social graces of a gnat.

These 'defects' are just part of what makes me who I am. Sure I have OCD tendencies, and I probably suffer from a milder form of Aspberger's (think of Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory), so even if I never read a railway timetable in my entire life, I would like to answer "yes" to that question if I do engage in that sort of thing (Not sure if L. Ron would consider that a positive aspect or not). Who doesn't find pleasure in reading about the socio-economic-political conditions that lead to the War of the Austrian succession? Wikipedia is like crack cocaine to me.

The interviewer asked me what I did for a living. I replied that I worked in IT. He sort of shrank back and said that whatever is said of Scientology on the internet is BS.

Being the inquisitive kind, I read whatever I could on Scientology on the web. I read all about the thousands of dollars it costs to be a good-standing member of the religion. I would have liked to dabble in the Scientology, but being a frugal cheap bastard, I decided against it :)

Which begs the question: since Scientology is a high-margin, low-volume religion, why doesn't David Miscavige turn it into a low-margin, high-volume religion? Get rid of the abuse, the excesses, and the bilking of your followers, and then it might not suffer so much from bad press. Make it an open source religion, and let Xenu be known to all. If the goal is to 'clear' the Earth from evil thetans, then wouldn't it be better to attract as many followers as possible with a religion that claims to help so many people?

I imagine that Scn found it's niche among a populace that wanted to help themselves. It's a lot like those health/exercise equipment/diet plan peddlers on late night infomercials that promise you miraculous results. I've followed Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer's "High Intensity Training" routines (easily found on the web) and Dr. Atkins' "New Diet Revolution" (paperback, but I also imagine that the text is easily found on the web) to much success. No need for me to join Weight Watchers or hire a personal trainer or having to buy all sorts of expensive equipment (I just use a barbell and 400 lbs of plates at home, I avoid carbs in general).

So I understand that self-help is a strong motivator. But Scn or Hubbard don't have a monopoly on having the answers. One could find motivation to be a better person by just listening to a Tony Robbins tape or reading Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (the latter actually helped me a lot).

So perhaps the reason why Scn is so secretive, is that in order to monetize whatever they do works (from my cursory reading of Dianetics, there is some truth to it, with a lot of half-baked ideas), quite a few layers of confusion and mystery is thrown in. If the answer to become 'clear' was freely available, then you can't make much money from it.

shadow

Patron with Honors
Welcome hitfan,

Which begs the question: since Scientology is a high-margin, low-volume religion, why doesn't David Miscavige turn it into a low-margin, high-volume religion? Get rid of the abuse, the excesses, and the bilking of your followers, and then it might not suffer so much from bad press. Make it an open source religion, and let Xenu be known to all. If the goal is to 'clear' the Earth from evil thetans, then wouldn't it be better to attract as many followers as possible with a religion that claims to help so many people?

Scn cannot change, it cannot evolve, it will always remain a dinosaur (and hopefully go extinct). It must be followed verbatum from "source" (LRH), who was likely sociopathic, paranoid and delusional. With all that going for it, what could go wrong?

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard gives you the clue - an SP organization has "SEKRETS" - but by the time you realize Scientology is the SCIENCE OF SEKRETS...it is too late...you are brainwashed into believing it is the most ethical organization in all of the land! :whistling:It has the TECH to create a world w/o insanity and crimes.

They solve this by insanity and crimes! They are insane! They are criminals!

Secrets
:

Clear Cog "I mocked up my own reactive mind" COST $200K or more

OT III "Xenu flew people to Earth to COST:$250K or more
deal with population control.
He blew them up with HBomb.
The souls are attached to us
and the cause of all of our problems. You must audit them off! CHING CHING $$$$$$ But the guy never gets better - he just learns to keep his mouth shut and keep working for free or donating $$$$.

These are the biggies - but there is more: No transparency - the CULT never discloses how much $ they have. They give you the illusion that they are broke all the time! Even the staff think they are broke unless they are privy to the info- that they will justify - Scientology is man's only hope to save the planet! We must survive!! We need $$$$$$$$$$!

Why people BLOW! They are upset. Scientology is a
SCAM! COST: PRICELESS!!

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi, hitfan, :wave: and :welcome2: So how does the general public view all scno/co$? Do they even notice it? My expereience is that the general public has no clue what is going on, inside, in protest - nothing.

BUT wouldn't it be nice :shithitfan: :biggrin:

:welcome:

New member here. I've always been fascinated by Scientology. I never joined, however. I was made aware of Scientology because I was approached by somebody on the street in downtown Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to take a "free personality test" in 1997. So I walked inside the building.

Knowing nothing of Scn, I took the test in a somewhat humorous if ironic way (to humor the one administering the test), not really caring how I came across and tried to answer as honestly as I could. According to the person who administered the test, I had a short attention span and lacked empathy in general. But I also could be helped and improve my character flaws with Dianetics, and eventually, Scientology.

It's true that I always struggled to listen to lectures in class from my formative school years all the way to college. I still passed, because I'm the type of person who can read only portions of a text in a half-hearted manner and grasp what is being taught by just extrapolating common sense and educated guesses. Case in point, I was quite proficient in spelling bee competitions, being able to sense how words in English should be spelled by a simple basic understanding of the rules of the language. And English wasn't even my first language, having learned it from watching Sesame Street as a child.

As for lacking empathy, shouldn't that be a feature and not a flaw? Aren't there creeps and charlatans who take advantage of those who are good-natured? I am that countervailing force that is sometimes needed in this world. Yin-yang and all that. I was quite the cold fish when I was young, but I enjoy having time alone. I wasn't a complete social pariah, my above-average good looks allowed me to talk my way into going out with a member of the opposite sex once in a while, in spite of having the social graces of a gnat.

These 'defects' are just part of what makes me who I am. Sure I have OCD tendencies, and I probably suffer from a milder form of Aspberger's (think of Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory), so even if I never read a railway timetable in my entire life, I would like to answer "yes" to that question if I do engage in that sort of thing (Not sure if L. Ron would consider that a positive aspect or not). Who doesn't find pleasure in reading about the socio-economic-political conditions that lead to the War of the Austrian succession? Wikipedia is like crack cocaine to me.

The interviewer asked me what I did for a living. I replied that I worked in IT. He sort of shrank back and said that whatever is said of Scientology on the internet is BS.

Being the inquisitive kind, I read whatever I could on Scientology on the web. I read all about the thousands of dollars it costs to be a good-standing member of the religion. I would have liked to dabble in the Scientology, but being a frugal cheap bastard, I decided against it :)

I imagine that Scn found it's niche among a populace that wanted to help themselves. It's a lot like those health/exercise equipment/diet plan peddlers on late night infomercials that promise you miraculous results. I've followed Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer's "High Intensity Training" routines (easily found on the web) and Dr. Atkins' "New Diet Revolution" (paperback, but I also imagine that the text is easily found on the web) to much success. No need for me to join Weight Watchers or hire a personal trainer or having to buy all sorts of expensive equipment (I just use a barbell and 400 lbs of plates at home, I avoid carbs in general).

So I understand that self-help is a strong motivator. But Scn or Hubbard don't have a monopoly on having the answers. One could find motivation to be a better person by just listening to a Tony Robbins tape or reading Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (the latter actually helped me a lot).

So perhaps the reason why Scn is so secretive, is that in order to monetize whatever they do works (from my cursory reading of Dianetics, there is some truth to it, with a lot of half-baked ideas), quite a few layers of confusion and mystery is thrown in. If the answer to become 'clear' was freely available, then you can't make much money from it.

back in the day my friend, it was a high volume low price affair. the whole OTI-VIII package was $10,000 and the whole church truly was a grassroots movement

omnom

Patron with Honors
Make it an open source religion, and let Xenu be known to all. If the goal is to 'clear' the Earth from evil thetans, then wouldn't it be better to attract as many followers as possible with a religion that claims to help so many people?

To make that analogy, I do not believe it is compatible with any form of open-ness. Think of Scn as GPL2 licensed on the outside ("it works however you want it to work!", they say), but once you dig in, you find all these non-open binary blobs running the real show. So it's not really what you make of it beyond the early levels; instead it is something you must conform to in order to "get deeper" inside - Theo de Raadt and rms would see through that shit on principle, but a lot of end users don't find out until too late that they're locked into a non-free platform. And now you're stuck - it's harder to back out of a non-free (as in speech and not beer) platform than it is to scrap it and start fresh.

To further the open source analogy, the Freezone, Indy, whatever-they-self-identify-as practitioners may choose would be like reverse-engineering some binary blob. It has some grey areas, depending on the local IP laws, but some people make it work for their needs. You end up reimplementing what you personally find to be most important for your needs. In my mind, you're still behind the ball, since without understanding the deeper code, and no published API, you cannot gain the "promised" results either way (think of NVidia drivers the way Linus Torvalds does - it's broken, but nobody is able to adequately fix it inside or out).

The very keys to the kingdom are control - openness destroys much of that control, and it loses it's luster once people are allowed to review the code in it's entirety and release updates and changes unhindered.

Without access to the hardware, and ability to release firmware updates, it will only last as long as people put up with it.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome hitman

Were you just visiting Ottawa to see the beautiful city and it's many museums or was it work that took you there?

I have been at that org, and it was small. I think it had two auditing rooms maybe three.

And yeah, Scientology is secretive, I didn't find out about Xenu in the 35 years I was in. Had to find out about Ron's science fiction allegorical enemy online the week I left. And you are very correct, the secrecy is to entice, make money and hide the fraud.

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi hitman,
I'm new too and you just gave me a giggle using the words Open Source Scientology .. I love it! It hurts the brain even seeing those words together :duh::duh::duh: Ouch!

From another outsiders perspective, Scn doesn't want to be open for so many reason but since there is nothing left up to interpretation and everything is written on titanium plates it literally is set not just in stone..it's set in metal and Source is dead, literally LRH said if he didn't write it then it isn't true.. Short term thinking for sure! My hunch is he really didn't give a shit about anyone but himself so why try to make a religion that would live beyond him?

I could go on for hours but you will read way better from these folks than anything this silly wog could tell you and my post is really to welcome you and thank you for giggle ache! I've never had one before..but I think I need to enjoy this feeling :happydance: open source scientology.. I love it! {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Smiles!
Missy

shadow

Patron with Honors
back in the day my friend, it was a high volume low price affair. the whole OTI-VIII package was $10,000 and the whole church truly was a grassroots movement

I read that and thought: Yeah, a bowel movement!:eyeroll:

I know my in-laws really thought they were part of something big when they were on the Apollo and starting their missions. Their experience seemed to be like an uneasy relationship with a controlling parent that says they want their children to be independent, but interfere with every attempt the child makes to grow up and achieve that independence.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi hitman,
I'm new too and you just gave me a giggle using the words Open Source Scientology .. I love it! It hurts the brain even seeing those words together :duh::duh::duh: Ouch!

It is not that the whole thing can't be improved upon, far from it. I've plucked out what I think are some of the best bits of Scn and use them in PaulsRobot, along with many improvements. Others have plucked it over too.

But as soon as you start filtering and using some bits and discarding others it is no longer Scientology. "Open-Source Scientology" is an oxymoron — it is impossible.

Paul