What's new

My point of view

As a new participant to this Message Board, I wanted to share my point of view. I have been distancing myself from the Church for a few years, as I really couldn’t put up with the illogical scene.

I believe that : 1) I have been helped by the tech and have improved many aspects of my life; 2) I am a better person and better able to understand life, people and the world around me; 3) because of my basic personality, I was unable to put up with and ignore the injustices, the toxic environment of denial and fear and mismanagement of the organisation perpetrated by David Miscavige.

Fortunately, I did the grades, the L Rundowns and achieved the state of Clear before the Golden Age of Tech. I say that because the fundamental quality of the gains and auditing experiences changed not long after the Golden Age of Tech.

Further, I would say that following the Wake Up Call, the organization has been spinning and manifesting a growing form of insanity. I remember watching the IAS event with Tom Cruise and saying to myself "This guy is completely insane". I also wondered, how and when did Tom Cruise become the most active and valiant Scientologist and what would give him the right to put anyone’s ethics in?

Leaving Scientology was not difficult for me because the outpoints, my growing disagrements and the sheer pain of involvement had become so great that I truly didn’t feel that I belonged or had any fellowship with the group. I don’t have to insist on the fact that the group was bankrupting me financially and I couldn’t find anyone in there that was willing to confront the fact that the whole scene was horribly wrong.

Over the past year, I have be educating myself as to the real agenda and history of this organisation and, as most of you know, it’s not pretty. What drives a person to enroll is a desire to improve, to contribute and maybe to make a better world. These goals, these desires are used to entice you away from your fundamental determism into a world of other determism – the determinism of the Chruch of Scientology.

To many, intuitively, The Church of Scientology, is an evil, mind controling cult. The negative press, the broken families, the covert manipulation, all serve to reinforce this perception of pure Evil. Althought the Church will say that the SP’s are manufacturing lies in order to destroy the most prosurvival entity on the planet, most know there is something really sinister lurking in and about Scientology. For an ordinary person, Scientology is scarry. The funny thing is that when one does a due diligeance on the Church of Scientology, one does find that in fact the whole genesis of the Church is based on pure Evil – using a persons' fundamental vulnerabilities to establish total control over mind, body and spirit. One need only to glance at the out of valence automatons that gravitate around DM to see this is based on fact.

But let me get back to the reason for this post – to let you know a little more about me. In joining Scientology, I wanted to achieve a few things : 1) handle the charge I had on a number of issues; 2) obtain skills (an edge) that would help me succeed in business and in life; 3) find a group of fellows that shared my values for greater spiritual awarness. I can say that I did obtain these things to some extent but by joining the Church, I was making a pact with the Devil. In giving life to this organization and in going into agreement with all of it’s eccentricities, I was giving up a big chuck of myself. And, I sold myself cheap. I went into agreement so willingly and without a true and thorough inspection.

The fundamental problem with Scientology is that it does not survive direct and thorough inspection. We are currently witnessing the disintegration of Scientology because it is being thoroughly inspected. And let the inspection proceed...

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi welcome to the board. This was my first stop when I left. It takes a bit of time to sort it all out for sure but you've made the most important step in getting control of your life back.

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
Welcome!

You are right: COS gets thoroughly inspected, and it doesn't look good. Sunshine disinfects!

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome Happy Atlast!
Well written and points made in such few words! Good summary!
Yes, the cult crumbles at genuine inspection.

Yet we never wondered
why all the secrecy??:duh:

Glad you're here!
Hope you'll tell stories.....:yes:

ClamSource

Patron with Honors
Hi Happyatlast,
Welcome to the board.

Just be aware that many people here, me included, will say that any claims that the tech helped sound like a crack addict saying self medicating helped.

Gadfly

Crusader
Hi Happyatlast,
Welcome to the board.

Just be aware that many people here, me included, will say that any claims that the tech helped sound like a crack addict saying self medicating helped.

ClamSource, just you be aware that to some or many people here YOUR statement sounds ALSO like some person in a drug haze.

To YOU, as YOU see it, as you FILTER events through your FIXED IDEAS (belief system), "any claims that the tech helped sound like a crack addict saying self medicating helped". That trite analogy may be true for some people some of the time.

That is your arbitrary OPINION.

Some people, at some point in their lives, feel that he or she truly benefitted from his or her involvement with Scientology. You can disagree, you can not like THAT FACT, and you can reframe those positive experiences along some highly theoretical MODEL that "makes sense to you", but in the end, you BELIEVE such nonsense just as does any card-carrying true-believing Scientologist.

Let's agree on what we CAN mostly agree on - that the Scientology Church organization, operating on exact LRH policies, over an over, behaves in MANY nasty, deceitful and harmful ways.

Some may argue how bad it is "now" compared with before, but it doesn't matter, because the nasty & deceitful behavior has ALWAYS been there, based on exact LRH orders and directions ("policy").

I view any person who was once "in" and is now "out" of the organized C of S as a "good thing". A VERY GOOD THING. Such a person no longer channels MONEY or support to the nasty organization. He or she can believe and imagine that Scientology truly helped that at some point (it very well may have - it's NOT my call), and I DON'T CARE, as long as they are OUT, and they are also actually openly discussing the MANY faults of the organized Church of Scientology.

Who cares about the minor points some argue about - those who claim, demand and assert that it is "impossible" for any person to actually "benefit" from some aspect of Hubbard's immense subject, and who reframe "what was really happening" along some model that largely denies any "actual help" occurred.

FACT: Some people have benefitted from Scientology, they see it THAT way, they can't see it any other way (as it was his or her direct personal experience), and in THAT, his or her subjective reality is the ONLY VALID DETERMINANT in that regard.

And, who cares? What matters is that he or she has woken up (enough at least, for now), has LEFT, does NOT support the organized Church in any way, and CRITICISES real and valid flaws and faults.

Last edited:

ClamSource

Patron with Honors
Some people may feel Scientology helped them. They're entitled to that opinion. In my opinion this is just the crack talking. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Battered wives who think their husband who beats them deep down still loves them are also entitled to their opinion. But you can't respect that opinion. You can only pity it.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Some people may feel Scientology helped them. They're entitled to that opinion. In my opinion this is just the crack talking. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Battered wives who think their husband who beats them deep down still loves them are also entitled to their opinion. But you can't respect that opinion. You can only pity it.

Opinions are like assholes.

Disinfected

Patron Meritorious
<snip> I can say that I did obtain these things to some extent but by joining the Church, I was making a pact with the Devil. In giving life to this organization and in going into agreement with all of it’s eccentricities, I was giving up a big chuck of myself. And, I sold myself cheap. I went into agreement so willingly and without a true and thorough inspection.

Don't sell youself short. If you were anything like me, you were young(er) and dumb(er) and took things at face value.

I got into Scientology in 1978 at a very rough point in my life at a wonderful and caring Scientology mission. I found dear friends there and still love all of them, in and out. I am one of those folk that can honestly say Scientology may well have saved my life. I was lost and confused, drinking a lot and doing drugs almost daily. I grew up around suicide and abuse and was a very likely suicide risk; thoughts of suicide were a common companion. When I found Scientology, it was an epiphany and there were no red flags at the mission.

That changed somewhat when I "graduated" to the mother org in 1980 and things got seriously weird when the Int "Finance Police" arrived soon after. By then I was on staff, I routed off soon after.

Then I started as "true and thorough" an inspection as one could do in the early 1980's. I read "The Scandal of Scientology" but that book was over-the-top and did not describe any Scientology that I had experienced so I had to dismiss it. I read all the other early books on Scientology. I travelled to the Clearwater library and read the transcripts of the Clearwater City Commission Scientology hearings. That was a bit more enlightening and gave me my first glimpses of the OT data but there was not enough there for me to condemn the organization. So I continued as public....

My point is that it is not so black and white. People continue to make gains from Scientology and staff are intelligent and dedicated to helping others. Boatloads (see Maiden Voyage vid - lol) of people are getting something from this and the detractors are a small fraction. Yes, it is not right for you and it is not right for me; and perhaps we think those boatloads are deluded. Meh. Let them judge their lives for themselves, I say.

Here is my take, FWIW:
  • Hubbard had genius.
  • Scientology is a work of genius.
  • Hubbard had failings.
  • Some of Hubbard's failing are hard-wired into the organization and to the degree that the organization fixates on those aspects, it can be oppressive. But my experience is that, pre-Miscavige, the organization did not fixate and policy was not generally used to control people. Control was light and reasonable. YMMV.
  • Miscavige is a control-freak and, whatever his intentions may be or have been, his control is heavy and oppressive.

But I repeat, don't be so hard on yourself, and I do not think any of us "sold ourselves cheap" if we sold ourselves at all. And I do not think it such a bad thing to take things at face value. We can get all "inspection before the fact" here but, for me, I would rather be naive then cynical. I did years of cynical prior to Scientology (and I had "good reason" to be cynical) and it brought me little but unhappiness.

Last edited:
Hi Happyatlast,
Welcome to the board.

I was impressed when I read the thread "Pandora's Box" by Allan. It confirmed what I had long felt, intuitively. The Tech had been developed on a collaborative basis by a number of well intentioned, intelligent people. LRH was an important contributor and, in many ways a figure head and a team leader. The original Tech developed in the early 60's at Saint-Hill and subsequent developments by David Mayo and others does have positive effects on a being. Now the issues of alteration of the Tech, true understanding of the correct delivery, motives underlying it's use and delivery are all issues that relate, in my view, to the evolution of a business model (to state it mildly) developed by LRH and later by DM.

I can tell you what shape I was in when I came into Scientology and the way I feel today. I've had a lot of auditing and a lot of training. I can tell you a lot of the processes work. I was keyed out for about five years after completing the 3 L's (pre Golden Age of Tech). My business expanded 10 fold and I was never happier.

Now I'm not making an argument for reformation and/or plugging Indie auditing. I just know what I know. And I'm not the kind of guy to be bouncing off the walls saying my ARC and space is so much greater. I'm talking about real mental barriers removed and real abilities gained.

Having freed myself from the shackles of institutional "religion" or group hypnotic think, if you wish, I will resume my personal quest for philosophical and spiritual knowledge. I don't know where this will lead. But I can't think of anything much better to do on this planet. I've got enough cars and stuff and I'm not looking to accumulate more.

In closing, each person is entitled to his or her own opinions.

Don't sell youself short. If you were anything like me, you were young(er) and dumb(er) and took things at face value.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. You came in before I did. I did get stories of the hardships endured by those around in the early 80's when DM started to weave his magic. Many of the die hard Scientologist are still around today and seem to take all the current abuse in stride. Unfortunately, my tolerance for it was not that great.

I do get your point, however. So thanks.

smartone

My Own Boss
Welcome Happy At Last! I enjoyed your OP which really nails what I think. I too have changed for the better from when I first joined CoS. I wouldn't say I was at death's door but I really needed to handle a few things.

Well done on finally deciding to get out and joining ESMB. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your response. You came in before I did. I did get stories of the hardships endured by those around in the early 80's when DM started to weave his magic. Many of the die hard Scientologist are still around today and seem to take all the current abuse in stride. Unfortunately, my tolerance for it was not that great.

I do get your point, however. So thanks.
Miscavige is not weaving any magic. He is doing exactly what Hubbard was doing, Keeping Scientology Working. The only difference I see is Miscavige isn't as mentally dysfunctional as Hubbard, a much better manager, and not all fucked up on drugs. Hubbard had numerous opportunities not to be a dirtbag and to do the right thing and every single time he chose the option which would result in the greatest benefit to him and him alone and if there was no benefit to be had, he'd chose the option which would cause someone other than him the most grief or pain. Miscavige is just doing what Ron would be doing ... he just happens to be better at it.

Veda

Sponsor
Welcome, Happy Atlast.

Using the old glue analogy, IMO, Scientology, as designed by its founder, consists of two main aspects: the solvent ("truth," "abreaction"/catharsis/"key-out" etc.), and the lacquer (the sea of words, half truths, falsehoods, smoke and mirrors, gimmicks, tricks, manipulation, etc.) In the proper ratio, these combine to make a mind-glue that sticks a person to Scientology. Currently, Miscavige has screwed up the ratio of solvent and lacquer with too much lacquer and not enough solvent. (Without solvent, glue doesn't "work.") That's mainly why people are leaving. (Not the abuses. There were always abuses, but it was tolerated by most.) Once Miscavige is gone, and the proper ratio is restored, Scientology will still be a people-manipulating and exploiting cult, but the exodus of members will likely be slowed or even reversed.

As concisely as I can state it, here's my view on the difficulty re. examining the topic of Scientology.

IMO, those who perceive Scientology's negative core often can't see the positives that - amongst the hype and soft manipulation - speckle the outer display layer of the subject. Their explanations are often incomplete, as they can't see those parts of the display coating that are truly positive.

Those who perceive the positives - in the outer display layer - often are unable to see the negatives at its core. Their explanations tend to be extremely naive.

Conveying the idea that there is both a positive outer display coating which is ultimately subordinate, and also a negative hidden core which is ultimately dominant, can be difficult. It seems that the laws of nature, the laws of the human mind, and perhaps the laws of the human nervous system make recognizing both aspects difficult.

Scientology is a secretive and manipulative doctrine with a truth-coating. The truth-coating is displayed while the negatives are often hidden or disguised; or, when they no longer can be denied, are rationalized or "spun."

The "Scientology package" is both positive and negative. Scientology is a carefully crafted (by its founder) mix of "Black Scientology" and "White Scientology," resulting in Scientology.

Since the negatives are hidden, disguised, or denied, it becomes necessary to focus on the negatives. However, I've also acknowledged and spent time describing the positives.

Following are some re-posts. It's likely more information that you want, but here it is, just in case you haven't seen it, and any of it interests you.

Usually, Scientologists can grasp the notion that "Black Scientology" might be used on "Suppressive Persons," but not the idea that Scientology's founder used "Black Scientology" on his own loyal followers. This is difficult to explain to Scientologists, since Scientology (Hubbard's teachings and "applied philosophy") is regarded as a "gift" from Hubbard for their benefit. Yet Scientology, as crafted by Hubbard, is a devious mix of "Black" and "White" Scientology, and this mixture is what makes Scientology a trap.

Currently, about as far as "Independent" and FreeZone" Scientologists can venture is to assert that corporate Scientology's current leader, David Miscavige, uses "Black Scientology." Beyond that, things become foggy for them.

In his confidential writings, Hubbard taught that Scientology's enemies should be subjected to "enemy tactics," and to the various mechanisms of the mind (and "reactive mind"), and Hubbard, in writings and lectures, would sometimes describe these and, on a few occasions (usually at lectures), even warn the wide eyed and eager Scientologists that some evil force (not him of course, but the communists, Nazis, psychiatrists, the "12 bankers," etc.) could use Scientology to enslave - such is "the power the tech," etc. FZ and Indy Scientologists are fond of quoting these warnings. This, while remaining subject to many of the manipulative ideas and methods woven into Scientology by its founder.

Here are a few examples. There are many.

L. Ron Hubbard described himself as "Mankind's Greatest Friend," etc., so his writings and comments about "aberrative mechanisms" and "enemy tactics" never came across as a warning about himself. If anything, it made others more inclined to trust him.

For example, in Dianetics, what's "aberrative"? Something that equates to "survival." The "held down 7s" are "aberrative" because they're identified with the person's survival. "Survival," as a "mechanism" becomes "aberrative."

Even in 1950, Dianetics was presented as being a "race with the atomic bomb." The message was plain enough: Dianetics = Survival. No Dianetics = Doom.

And this continued into Scientology. One of many examples: In 1956, Hubbard wrote, "With Man now equipped with weapons sufficient to destroy all Mankind and Earth... The primary race on Earth is... the one being run between Scientology and the atomic bomb."

How many Scientologists read Hubbard's descriptions of Dianetics and Scientology as essential for Mankind's "Survival!" - and their own "Survival" - and thought, "Oh, Ron's using the 'Survival mechanism' to manipulate me" ?

Another example from 1950 Dianetics is the "ally computation." Someone comes out of the blue and helps another person, helps the other person in some way or other. The "help" could be indifferently offered, or insincerely offered, but if the needy person regards it as aiding in his "Survival!" (or well being, or the alleviation of pain or the attainment of pleasure or relief), then (so the theory goes) the "ally" mechanism is in place and in effect. For example, an uncle, who may not be a particularly nice fellow, gets his little nephew a glass of water when that nephew is sick in bed and thirsty. The uncle (in the mind of the little nephew) becomes an "ally," and the uncle become identified with "Survival!"

Now, who would have thought that "Mankind's Greatest Friend," on whom the "Survival!" of Mankind, and the "Survival!" of each person (Scientologists, through Ron's "Bridge") depended, would use the "ally computation" and the "Survival mechanism" in order to deceive, manipulate, and exploit? Nah, that could never happen.

However, it did happen, and not only years later, but sometimes the same day, or previous to Hubbard mentioning a deceptive, manipulative or destructive mechanism or tactic.

But it was disguised, and so wasn't recognized. Hubbard's warnings about the race between Dianetics or/and Scientology and the atomic bomb were regarded by Scientologists as warnings by their, and Mankind's, #1 "ally," L. Ron Hubbard. Who amongst Scientologists suspected? Yet, the warning noted above - from 1956 - was less than a year after Hubbard had published, and distributed, his fake "Russian Psychopolitics textbook" http://warrior.xenu.ca/Brainwashing-front.jpg (which of course denounced Dianetics), a "textbook" that, amongst the haughty "Russian Commie"-sounding rhetoric, and references to psychiatrists practicing lurid sex with their (unconscious) patients, "Pain-Drug-Hypnosis," shock treatment, lobotomies, etc., was a compendium of enemy ("Russian Communist") ideas and practices for "asserting and maintaining dominion over thoughts and loyalties."

From Hubbard's "Russian Textbook":

"The failure of Psychopolitics might well bring about the atomic bombing of the Motherland. The psychopolitical operative must succeed for his success means world peace... The end thoroughly justifies the means."

Even "Survival!" - used to manipulate - was mentioned in the fake "Russian Textbook":

"It is pointed out in many early Russian writings that this is a survival mechanism. It [the "Survival!" mechanism] has already been well and thoroughly used in the survival of Communism."

Hubbard's 1955 "Russian Textbook" was loaded with manipulative and exploitative ideas and practices, many of which were being used on Scientologists themselves - used on them by their "Greatest Friend" and ally, L. Ron Hubbard - ideas and practices which were, ultimately, from the 1960s onward, formally incorporated, by Hubbard, into Scientology doctrine and practice.

Yet, who suspected? Yet, it was right there. And because it was right there it was unthinkable.

As for Hubbard's intentions and "real goal," these two quotes provide a peek behind the curtain:

"Living is a pretty grim joke, but a joke just the same. The entire function of man is to survive. Not for 'what' but just to survive... I turned the thing up [the 'dynamic principle of existence: Survive!'], so it's up to me to survive in a big way.

"Personal immortality is only to be gained through the printed word, barred note, or painted canvas or hard granite [or stainless steel]. Foolishly perhaps, but determined none the less, I have high hopes of smashing my name into history so violently that it will take a legendary form even if all the books are destroyed. That goal is the real goal [hidden agenda] as far as I am concerned. Things which stand too consistently in my way make me nervous.

"It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which gives some idea of the magnitude of my attempt."

L. Ron Hubbard, 'Excalibur' letter, from 1938

"Your writing has a deep hypnotic effect on people and they are always pleased with what you write...

"Your psychology is advanced and true and wonderful. It hypnotizes people. It predicts their emotions, for you are their ruler...

"Men are your slaves."

L. Ron Hubbard, from his 'Affirmations', 1946

And... Stanford Research Institute experimental psychologist Keith Harary, and Russell Targ, a physicist also from Stanford, wrote a book titled 'Mind Race' (as in 'space race'). It contains a section on the exploitation of psychic phenomena, or the promise of psychic phenomena, by cults.

Both were well aware of Scientology, and had worked with Ingo Swann, who did Scientology's "OT levels," and later (after leaving) described them as "disappointing." Swann claims to have been a natural psychic since childhood.

From the book, 'Mind Race':

"You won't find these groups listed under 'cults' in the Yellow pages. For income tax and public relations purposes, most refer to themselves as 'Churches'. But cults differ from traditional churches in several important ways...

"In our society, a person who is beginning to experience emerging psychic abilities, or who is interested in doing so, has almost nowhere to turn for guidance. Anyone with a purely scholarly interest in Psi research can write to various laboratories or read the research reports. But this information probably will not be of much practical personal use...

"This is the dilemma that leads many people to join cults in the first place. By accepting and exploiting psychic phenomena in a society that does not readily accept them, cults have effectively monopolized the subject of psi. They have exploited many people who are interested in learning about the area, and frightened many others away from ever considering the possibility...

"People are often drawn into cults that claim to offer explanations for psychic functioning, but at great personal, emotional, and financial expense to their followers. We think that giving away your mind is too high a price to pay for psychic development...

"For some people, the exposure to the possibility of developing their own psychic potential, which some cults appear to provide, may initially help certain individuals pay attention to areas of their own awareness that they might not otherwise consider exploring.

"But prolonged exposure to any cult's treatment of psychic abilities may seriously restrict the way its initiates view psychic functioning. And it may keep them from fully developing their actual psychic potential...

"Despite claims to the contrary by numerous factions, there is no evidence of an exclusive relationship between psychic functioning and any particular leader, doctrine , or way of life. Scientific evidence does strongly suggest that the ability to function psychically is a genuine human capacity which, for many people, seems to improve with practice."

Actor Clint Walker's OOBE: (Account begins at about 5:10, suggest skipping intro) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYwX12B9GPQ[/QUOTE]

Some background:

The 'Equinox', early 1900s -

"The method of Science. The aim of religion":

http://www.the-equinox.org/vol1/images/eqcover.gif

Some early processes, circa 1911:

http://forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=215566&postcount=164

http://www.the-equinox.org/vol1/no10/eqi10004.html

'On the union of psychotherapy and spiritual exploration', 1937:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=18114

'The Sole Source Myth' thread (somewhat derailed after page 6):

http://forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=510

Excerpted from the Addendum section of L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd and 3rd editions. This is the shortened version that appears in Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology:

The Scientological Onion http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105

Scientology could be described as a "layers of the onion" operation.

The outermost layer of the "Scientological Onion" is not identifiable with Scientology at all, being composed of front groups that conceal their connection to -and control by - the Scientology organization. Front groups might be said to constitute Layer Zero: a place where the tentacles of Scientology can grope incognito.

The first layer of the Scientological Onion is meant to be very visible...

Layer One includes Scientology's pampered clique of celebrities, and various public relations ploys. It reverberates with noble sounding sentiments about creating a better world. Scientology seeks to equate itself, and its founder, with anything broadly viewed as desirable or good. A little further along, this layer would include introductory courses with the stated aim of "knowing oneself" and "being free."

Here exist the potentially beneficial aspects of the many masked Scientology operation. The tragedy of Scientology is that the "positives" are used as "window dressing" and "bait on the hook," when they should have been the core and foundation. Thus the Scientology organization reeks of hypocrisy.

Also, at this much publicized layer, L. Ron Hubbard is presented as an engineer, war hero, nuclear physicist, and the "greatest humanitarian of all time," and the author of "22 best sellers with more to come."

The "first layer" is what Scientology wishes the outside world to know as Scientology. And it is essentially what new converts to the "movement" believe.

It includes most of what is good in the subject: The dream of peace on Earth, the desire to help, practical wisdom, civilized communication, and some potentially beneficial counseling procedures. The word freedom is used a great deal at this layer, and a heart felt desire for greater personal freedom, and freedom for all Mankind, is not unusual to new recruits to Scientology.

(Any inconsistencies or contradictions between the publicly stated aims of the movement, and actual practices or facts, become irrelevant as the individual becomes subject to the Dark Side of Scientology. And the deeper one descends into the "onion" the darker it gets.)

Descending into the "onion" it is necessary to become a Scientologist. This means thinking like a Scientologist. This is the Second Layer where deception eases into "soft" forms of mind-manipulation. Love of Mankind is modified that the awareness that human beings are mere hapless "Wogs"... The desire to help becomes the desire to recruit. The ideal of practical wisdom, based on logic and science, is superseded by the belief in the unfathomable mystery of the "tech." Indeed one is expected to be in a state of awe regarding the "tech," much in the same manner that a peasant woman might regard piece of bone, said to have belonged to a Saint from centuries past.

The publicly promoted "policy" of honesty is modified by an awareness that deception is OK, as long as it serves to achieve the desired Scientological end. And the ideals of civility and democracy become a joke - just something that "panty-waists" and wimps fixate on.

One is slowly being "hatted" as a Scientologist.

(At this point an - unlucky - new Scientologist may be subjected to heavy handed "hard sell" tactics by a sales person or "registrar." Life savings have been lost, inheritances gobbled up, and lines of credit drained, all in a single arduous evening of "hard sell." This is really a premature taste of Layer Four.)

The Third Layer down is composed of never ending, expensive, highly advertised, but confidential "upper levels." These go on and on - and on. Scientology has been selling the promise of "Total Freedom" since before most of its current membership were born. It remains the ever elusive "dangling carrot."

Well known individuals who become involved in Scientology - becoming "Scientology celebrities" - do not go deeper into the Scientological Onion than this.

They are also spared the abuses that "less valuable" beings may suffer at the hands of Scientology sales people, "Sea Org" recruiters, or "ethics" officers...

At the upper fringes of the next layer down is local "Org staff," and at the bottom of Layer Four can be found "Sea Org" personnel. This layer employs more pervasive and cruder forms of "persuasion" or "mind control." Here is the "slave labor" supplying Rehabilitation Project Force, the Pavlovian "5 Card System," and the grim but repressed awareness that one is mainly a "post" and a "stat," (i.e. statistic.)

The Fifth layer down includes intimidation of the mass media, use of lawsuits purely for purposes of harassment, and applications of policies and programs, such as those discovered as a result of the FBI search warrants of July 1977. These materials were made available for public view by Federal court order in 1979 and consist of organized applications of the Fair game Law, and related confidential policies and "tech," designed to illegally gain access to private files, infiltrate, harass, lie about, "sue, trick, lie to, or destroy" anyone perceived as an enemy. At this layer also would be secret bank accounts and financial irregularities.

Other aspects of this layer would include "blackmail," including threats to publicize personal information obtained during "religious confessionals" (auditing sessions); and the inducement of duress of various kinds - including frivolous lawsuits - to obtain promises of "silence," and to obtain "signed retractions" of earlier statements.

Here also can be found the handful of individuals who constitute the "Scientology hierarchy": the board of directors of the Religious Technology Center, and its chairman David Miscavige or "DM."

Layer Number Six appears to be the core of the Onion. It is a very temperamental and secret place.

Here lie the secrets of L. Ron Hubbard: his bad health, bad habits, undistinguished military service, flunked physics and mathematics classes. Here can be found the actual motivations behind, and sources of, Dianetics and Scientology. Here can be found Mary Sue Hubbard, languishing in prison for crimes committed under her husband's direction, while her husband, in hiding, passes the time writing Science Fiction. Here are all the things you shouldn't know about the founder of the "Science of Knowing How to Know."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman?, 2nd edition: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0942637577/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-0654802-4263319

Messiah or Madman?

The book L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? has been published in three English language editions, each further revised and updated
(1987, 1992, and 1996.) There is also a hardbound Russian language edition that became available in 2005.

Unlike most other books on Scientology, 'Messiah or Madman?' examines both the "positives" and "negatives" of the subject.

An excerpt from the book flap for the 464 page 1996 edition:

"I have high hopes of smashing my name
into history so violently that it will take a
legendary form even if all the books are
destroyed. That goal is the real goal as far as
I am concerned. Things which stand too
consistently in my way make me nervous.
It's a pretty big job. In a hundred years
Roosevelt will have been forgotten - which
gives some idea of the magnitude of my
attempt. And all this boils and froths inside
my head...
"Psychiatrists, reaching the high of the
dusty desk, tell us that Alexander, Genghis
Khan and Napoleon were madmen. I know
they're maligning some very intelligent
gentlemen."

L. Ron Hubbard wrote these words in a letter to
his first wife in 1938.

In 1950 he wrote the bestseller 'Dianetics, the
Modern Science of Mental Health. This inspired a
layman oriented mental health movement which,
ultimately, developed into Scientology, the most
profitable of the money-making new religions.

Hubbard's early Dianetic and Scientology writings
borrow freely from Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung, and
the founder of General Semantics, Alfred Korzybski.

And P.T. Barnum appears to have been an inspiration.

Hubbard also took much from the writings of Aleister
Crowley - self-proclaimed "Beast 666." This is a source
of embarrassment for the Scientology Church, which
is determined to achieve broad public acceptance.

In the 1960s Hubbard incorporated Brainwashing
methodologies into the subject. He established the
"Fair Game Policy" which states that an "enemy" of
Scientology "may be deprived of property or injured
by any means by any Scientologist, without
discipline of that Scientologist. May be tricked,
sued, lied to or destroyed."

He also became the Commodore of his own private
navy, and began to refer to himself as "Source."

L. Ron Hubbard, Messiah or Madman? exposes
as never before the dark side of Scientology, yet
contains an in-depth examination of the potential
positives of the subject and their actual origins.

'Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Scientology', a.k.a. 'Revisiting the Textbook on Psycho-politics' http://www.xenu-directory.net/critics/ambry1.html

Contents

Examining the 'Brainwashing Manual' http://warrior.xenu.ca/Brainwashing-front.jpg with the purpose of better understanding Scientology 4

Introduction: A Brief Outline of Scientology Doctrine, Public and Confidential 6

"White Scientology" - The Battle Tactics Doctrine - Brainwashing Manual Tech - Scientology is Multi-layered - Exploiting the Positives: the Cheese in the Trap -

Background 9

Origin of the word "brainwashing." and of the "Russian Brainwashing Manual"
L. Ron Hubbard writing to Scientologists on the subject of the Brainwashing Manual
Departing briefly from the Manual: A look at private tactics later shared with insiders
A publicized statement
A private explanation
Hubbard vs. the "Asiatic Hordes"
Back to the Brainwashing Manual: Excerpts from Hubbard's third public statement on it
Kenneth Goff's 1956 version of the Manual
Scientology's "No-answer answers."

Excerpts from the Brainwashing Manual/Textbook on Psycho-politics 14

"Editorial Note": Hubbard. assuming the guise of the phantasmal "Charles Stickley"
"An Address by Beria": Hubbard, pretending to be Lavrenti Beria, chief of the Russian Secret Police
The Main Text of the Manual: Hubbard, masquerading as an arrogant Russain Brainwashing expert
"Pain-Drug-Hypnosis"

The Layers of The "Scientological Onion" http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105 17

Brainwashing Manual Parallels in Modern Scientology 19

Correspondences between the Brainwashing Manual and the Battle Tactics policy
On “Survival”
On Surviving the Atomic Bomb
On an individual Scientologist influencing leaders
Scientology is devious by design

Front Groups - Layer Zero of the “Scientological Onion” 20

“It is not necessary that the term ‘Communism’ [Scientology] be applied at first…”

Layer One - The publicized portion of Scientology 23

“White Scientology”
Scenario: (An application of “White Scientology”)
“By reason alone”
Auditing

Descending into Layer Two of the “Onion”: The “In-Organization” Strata 27

“…[Scientology] under the guise of [‘White Scientology’]…”
Exploitation of the process of abreaction
Playing one thing off another or “counter-playing”
“Loaded language”: the seemingly enlightened “counter-played” with the manipulative
Tone 4, “entheta,” “theta,” Suppressive Person
The Thought Limiting clichés of Scientology
Publicized, “In-organization” and Confidential Scientology “Ethics”
“…aligning the individual against the desire not to conform…”
Side effects of “critical thoughts”
Dominion over the loyalties of individuals

Layer Three of the “Onion”: The Confidential “Upper Levels” of the “Bridge to Total Freedom” 33

“…avoid the understanding of the layman…”
Highest of the “upper levels” must remain a mystery to the membership
Operating Thetan or O.T.
Aleister Crowley, Head of the O.T.O.
O.T. III, The “Wall of Fire” into which Hubbard “took the plunge” to save Mankind
Exploitation of the paranormal

Layer Four: “…a well trained individual who serves in complete obedience…”
The Sea Organization, the Rehabilitation Project Force, and the Five Card System 36

The Sea Organization: “Custodians of the O.T. Levels”
“…the only loyalty which should exist… is to the State [Scientology].”
Sea Org Ethics under Commodore Hubbard on the Flagship
“Refusal to let them sleep over many days…”
The Rehabilitation Project Force
“Filthy food, little sleep, nearly untenable quarters…”
“…the first loyalty [to himself]… is destroyed…”
“Degradation and conquest…”
The children’s and teenagers’ RPF
“A certain amount of fear…”
The RPF’s RPF
The Five Card “Team Share” System
“The technologies of psycho-politics…”

Layer Five: Confidential Scientology Policy and Tech for “handling” uncooperative outsiders 46

The Fair Game policy and “philosophy”
“…find or manufacture enough threat…”
“Direct the attention of the authorities…”
Scientology’s unscrupulous use of the legal system
“We will no longer put up with our religion being criticized…”
Discourage inquiry
Defamatory data on file; “Culling”: Searching “religious confessional” (auditing) files for embarrassing or intimidating items
Background: The Commodore’s Intelligence Network
The policy of covert attack and publicized PR “defense lines”
Scientology’s Multi-layered Public Relations tech
Scientology Intelligence tech
Data collecting, and Attack or “support” Intelligence
Creating incidents that reflect badly on others
“Data needed by Ops on each located who”
Attack or “support” Intelligence - The Covert Ops study course and checklist
“Persons in his vicinity to whom he is emotionally involved…”
Coerce them into signing prepared “retractions” or “confessions”
Plenty of bogus “documentation”
One justification for unscrupulous covert methods
Treatment of VIPs and celebrities
Goal of talking over “mental health” and “political guidance”
Full knowledge of Intelligence tech must be denied to the general membership
“Deception, chicanery, lying, manipulation and outright criminality”
“She over there, those pink legs sticking out, didn’t like me”
Scientologists believe in a planet-wide conspiracy against L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology
The Scientology Hierarchy

Layer Six: The Core of the “Scientological Onion” 69

“…virtually a pathological liar…egotism… lust for power, and vindictiveness…”
“We must be like the vine upon the tree…”
The elusive “1000 page” official L. Ron Hubbard biography
“It’s a trap not being able to prevaricate”
Conscience as an “impediment”
The L. Ron Hubbard Fan(atic) club

Epilogue 74

Freeing the Positives

Addendum 76

"Dr. Hubbard's" FBI letters written concurrent with the appearance of the Brainwashing Manual 77

L. Ron Hubbard assumes the identity of Dr. Hubbard Ph.D DD - Patriotic Concerned Citizen
Letter of 29 July 1955
From a letter dated 7 September

A further look at Scientology's Covert Intelligence Tech 79

"Categories of Data Needing Coding"
A glimpse at a covert operation, and of public strata "policy" used as a cover for applied covert policy
An example of public strata "policy" used as "cover" - this time used on Scientologists by Scientology
"Ops Planning"
What to "Vet" or delete from sensitive internal messages that may be scrutinized by outsiders

Bibliography 82

Notes 87