What's new

Rathbun vs Scientology + Miscavige - February 4th, 2014 Hearing

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
Here is a very serious question that the defense team should be aware of, if they are not already.

If the RTC is so hot on their trademarks, why did Helen Chen operate an auditing Academy at least an order of magnitude, perhaps several orders, larger than Marty's client base right under the nose of DM in LA without retribution?

Why does she operate what looks like one of the largest squirrel operations in the world over in Taiwan, in the very country that opened the gateway to Asia with its ideal org, with impunity?

I think this and Sarge Gerbode's operation are prima facie evidence that both RTC and CSI are selective about enforcement of their rights, and therefore their rights are null and void.

I seriously suspect this is already being considered, and again you make some cutting points. Bottom line is RTC has screwed the pooch to the point it can't defend the trademarks any more. DM could not sue Marty because he doesn't want Marty, Mike, etc. on the stand under oath. Debbie Cooks testimony alone has changed the playing field as journalists are now, almost without fear of liability able to discuss physical abuse and torture.

Also RTC doesn't have the talent it had, nor does OSA.

I don't see it as selective, I see it as a knee jerk reaction. 90s, had the COS and RTC litigating to protect the "church" Lisa McPherson on had the COS litigating to protect DM. Form follows function. DMs protection has nothing to do with Trademarks or copyrights. Prosecuting such would create potential risk for DM ...

Anonycat

Crusader
I remember in the 1980's, when certain cookie or other recipes were protected by secrecy and also maybe some legal rights, but once everyone got a computer, those days were forever gone. There was a pie recipe that was owned, but by name. So publishers renamed it, and published the recipe anyway. Over the decades, they sued dozens of times, but now it's too late. It's everywhere. But, they are suing one restaurant because they used the protected name. So, a million people can see the recipe on the internet, but you may get sued for selling under the exact (protected) name of the pie.

If I were to see the cult in a similar light, I'd think -- yeah, they're screwed as far as keeping their products-for-sale a secret, but if someone were to open a business that used copies of the protected products, they could sue for that. But they didn't. To me it looks like the cult is all over the map. It's first amendment rights, it's religious, it's copyright enforcement, it's ... none of the above.

Terril park

Sponsor
Here is a very serious question that the defense team should be aware of, if they are not already.

If the RTC is so hot on their trademarks, why did Helen Chen operate an auditing Academy at least an order of magnitude, perhaps several orders, larger than Marty's client base right under the nose of DM in LA without retribution?

Why does she operate what looks like one of the largest squirrel operations in the world over in Taiwan, in the very country that opened the gateway to Asia with its ideal org, with impunity?

I think this and Sarge Gerbode's operation are prima facie evidence that both RTC and CSI are selective about enforcement of their rights, and therefore their rights are null and void.

Note that I am not law clued up.

My understanding is that delivering tech is no violation of copyright.

The FZ/Indies are delivering all over the place.

Copying is the crime here.

Enid Vien lost her suit when she copied some tech. She was grassed by a former student.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Note that I am not law clued up.

My understanding is that delivering tech is no violation of copyright.

The FZ/Indies are delivering all over the place.

Copying is the crime here.

Enid Vien lost her suit when she copied some tech. She was grassed by a former student.

Terril, you are way behind on this.

Lurk moar.