What's new

Reuben's Roost

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Re: Having a little trouble!

O.K. I'm having trouble contacting the moderators...we're supposed to have a button to alert them about a post, but I sure can't find it! :no:
<snip>

The report button is right beside the DISLIKE button. That little black triangle.

Addition: Since, depending on how you've configured your account, not all buttons do appear, move your eyes to the lower left corner of a post and the move it to the right until you see the report button.

Last edited:

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: From the days when american towns all had streetcars

Personally, it's in the humor section, so I don't see a problem with it being a new thread--it happens all the time. If we start getting 20 jokes a day that bust down every relevant Scio post....then, maybe I'll get concerned. In the meantime...meh?

I like a little humor with my reality...

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

On another forum I visit often, the kids had discovered that the Post Title could be edited. So they had a few threads, where each contributor had only one empty post, with a constantly post title. If you wanted to follow the discussion, you had to hit the refresh button all the time.

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
Re: There it is!!!

Maybe Emma has already planned to make it red again, but her to-do list must be still kinda long.

FYI: I had to search the button too.
I hope everyone concerned understands that having my own joke thread/post was not my idea. I'm not nearly that egocentered. Some nice person suggested it. Personally I think Emma is far too busy to bother with such piffle. I can always just tag one of my howlers onto an existing joke. It's up to everyone else. Also, I'm going to surprise every one with a very pertinent spiritual/tech article soon. That will deserve it's own thread and will engender a great deal of response I think. Thanks all. People have been so kind. I was intentioally exiled and isolated from the little bit of famiy I have for a quarter of a century with an unparalleled cruelty. I only recently was given a computer as a gift, and didn't even know how to turn it on. Fiddling around I happened upon ESMB and dove in. I thought now maybe my world without family or any other real terminals might change. Maybe a ray of light might come in through the darkness. It has, in the form of a good many kind and encouraging souls. Still with each gift there's often a fly in the ointment. Lo and behold, the evil fiend who engineered my exile turned out to be very active in ESMB. When he saw that I was here, he immediately attacked, and among the 17 LIKES to my various contributions, there's only one DISLIKE. Take a wild guess who it's from. Not to worry. I ignore him. I'm winning now thanks to so many out there. I'm eternally grateful. Reuben Hart

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors

I hope everyone concerned understands that having my own joke thread/post was not my idea. I'm not nearly that egocentered. Some nice person suggested it. Personally I think Emma is far too busy to bother with such piffle. I can always just tag one of my howlers onto an existing joke. It's up to everyone else. Also, I'm going to surprise every one with a very pertinent spiritual/tech article soon. That will deserve it's own thread and will engender a great deal of response I think. Thanks all. People have been so kind. I was intentioally exiled and isolated from the little bit of famiy I have for a quarter of a century with an unparalleled cruelty. I only recently was given a computer as a gift, and didn't even know how to turn it on. Fiddling around I happened upon ESMB and dove in. I thought now maybe my world without family or any other real terminals might change. Maybe a ray of light might come in through the darkness. It has, in the form of a good many kind and encouraging souls. Still with each gift there's often a fly in the ointment. Lo and behold, the evil fiend who engineered my exile turned out to be very active in ESMB. When he saw that I was here, he immediately attacked, and among the 17 LIKES to my various contributions, there's only one DISLIKE. Take a wild guess who it's from. Not to worry. I ignore him. I'm winning now thanks to so many out there. I'm eternally grateful. Reuben Hart
When I first became a staff member it was at CCLA (clams,creeps,loosers, and assholes.) I shared a room with several other guys, Bob Riggs was one, and a guy from Ottumwa Iowa was another. I was green as grass and thought Ron L. Hubbard? was nextdoor to God. I had recently learned the magic words...That's It! I believed those two words when spoken together with enough authoriy could stop a tsunami. One day, it was in early 1971 around six thirty in the morning L.A. was hit by an earthquake. It was the biggest I'd ever experienced and I was a native of the town. It was as if the house had been hit by a wrecking ball. Luckily it was an old frame house, on Beacon Ave. Edwardian in fact and in its day quite fashionable. It's day was the high button shoe era. In the Valley where the epicenter was, some flimsy modern houses collapsed. On Beacon we got through it nicely, only loosing all the chimneys on the street. Anyway in the next room a kid named Dick Hubbard (lucky for him no relationship to the royal family), yelled out THAT'S IT! and I thought, 'Alright, now that earthquake's in trouble. Somebody yelled the magic words. But guess what...it wasn't . There came an after shock almost as violent as the first one. I had a standing bird cage with several occupants including OT a yellow lutino parakeet who later became famous in the course room for taking off and flying round the room whenever anyone asked 'Do birds fly?' OT's cage went flying with him it. And I thought, Gosh, Dickie Hubbard didn't yell That's It loud enough. He did try it a second time and it didn't work again. So then and there I had my first withold. I secretly believed that the words 'Plunk your magic twanger Froggie,' were more powerful than That's It. Reuben Hart

Hurrah, success! Thank you Moderators, Emma, and all the gods and goddesses of humorous threads everywhere! Let the party roll on! It's all good Reuben, just keep talking! :) Love those jokes and funny stories..we all need to laugh a lot more than we do! Life is stressful, and laughter helps to relax and strengthen us to rise up and meet our challenges.

I lived through that earthquake, too...an apartment house where I had previously lived pancaked...surviving is an interesting game, isn't it? :eyeroll:

Poor OT...I love to think of him flying around the course room...:biggrin:

People love to reminisce about the old times, and you can share a lot of good stories and information with us about folks in and around the old CC and So Cal Scientology, you were a native, and very popular. That information is very valuable, Reuben, people need to know the truth about COS and it's history.

I hear you saying that you are still upset with your brother. O.K.

You are entitled to your feelings, as he is. I would sure love to see more harmony created between you. But that is up to you. Sometimes it is hard to find the way to peace. I do understand that.

Because I think families are sacred, and Scientology damages family ties so much, I would love to see this breech between you and your brother healed. But it's not my business, it's yours, and I respect your boundaries if you don't care to work on that at this time. But you do have some family left, and time left to enjoy them...

Reuben, don't let an unhappy past create an unhappy future...create a better future for yourself with some loving family in it. Get to know your niece and nephew a little bit, even if just via email and the telephone. It would mean so much to them. I just want to encourage you to get to know them on their own terms.

Do you know about Skype, yet? It's a free way to talk to people using the computer, with or without videophone (just like Flash Gordon!, remember?) Paul and others can tell you all about how to set it up and use it.

Meanwhile, this board is a great place for anyone recovering from their Scientology experience, even years later. You can be a valuable contributer. Please stay with us and keep telling us your stories. :thumbsup:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

I hope everyone concerned understands that having my own joke thread/post was not my idea. I'm not nearly that egocentered.

I'm not really the Thread Police — honest injun! — but you might consider the idea of having another thread for your "serious" stuff in a more appropriate area than the humour forum, which tends to be very lightweight. :)

Paul

Challenge

Silver Meritorious Patron

how do you suggest I post it? I have few computer skills. Reuben Hart

Reuben, I remember you from the Old Timers' club when we were in the back room of the LA Org. Amirite?
Welcome to ESMB. Glad to see you here. Don't worry about your computer skills, you are not alone.

chlng

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors

Reuben, I remember you from the Old Timers' club when we were in the back room of the LA Org. Amirite?
Welcome to ESMB. Glad to see you here. Don't worry about your computer skills, you are not alone.

chlng
thanks for the great comm. Gosh, I barely recall the Old Timers Club...Sally Thelan, etc. and I'm terrible at names. Amirite. No, but I'd probably remember your face. I no longer have any left brain. It got up and left! Reuben:eyeroll:

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
Hurrah, success! Thank you Moderators, Emma, and all the gods and goddesses of humorous threads everywhere! Let the party roll on! It's all good Reuben, just keep talking! :) Love those jokes and funny stories..we all need to laugh a lot more than we do! Life is stressful, and laughter helps to relax and strengthen us to rise up and meet our challenges.

I lived through that earthquake, too...an apartment house where I had previously lived pancaked...surviving is an interesting game, isn't it? :eyeroll:

Poor OT...I love to think of him flying around the course room...:biggrin:

People love to reminisce about the old times, and you can share a lot of good stories and information with us about folks in and around the old CC and So Cal Scientology, you were a native, and very popular. That information is very valuable, Reuben, people need to know the truth about COS and it's history.

I hear you saying that you are still upset with your brother. O.K.

You are entitled to your feelings, as he is. I would sure love to see more harmony created between you. But that is up to you. Sometimes it is hard to find the way to peace. I do understand that.

Because I think families are sacred, and Scientology damages family ties so much, I would love to see this breech between you and your brother healed. But it's not my business, it's yours, and I respect your boundaries if you don't care to work on that at this time. But you do have some family left, and time left to enjoy them...

Reuben, don't let an unhappy past create an unhappy future...create a better future for yourself with some loving family in it. Get to know your niece and nephew a little bit, even if just via email and the telephone. It would mean so much to them. I just want to encourage you to get to know them on their own terms.

Do you know about Skype, yet? It's a free way to talk to people using the computer, with or without videophone (just like Flash Gordon!, remember?) Paul and others can tell you all about how to set it up and use it.

Meanwhile, this board is a great place for anyone recovering from their Scientology experience, even years later. You can be a valuable contributer. Please stay with us and keep telling us your stories. :thumbsup:
As always Sweetnessandlight your comm is so nice, validative, informative, etc. I think I write posts just hoping to hear your feedback. No I don't know Skype. But what's easy for most is hard for me. I was trashed in the womb by a fraternal twin. A few years ago on NOVA there was a whole program on how one twin pushes the other into the back and takes everything for him/herself. My mother was anemic. I was born anemic and premature. I came out totally malfunctioning. All I had was a preprogrammed path to the Great Spirit, and a sense of humor. I also had writing talent. But as for tech, math, mechanics, all that left brain stuff. Well, at birth my left brain got up and left. So, if I don't jump at Skype, please don't feel slighted. Maybe one day. Who ever knew I could get this far with a computer? Had I not had a Dell, where they bend over backwards for you, I would have been sunk. All the best, Reuben:unsure:

Wonderful Guitar Music!

Thank you, EeePee, that was lovely! :yes:

I played it through twice! :thumbsup:

Thank you, Reuben, for understanding where I am coming from with my comm. I do appreciate that! :) I care about you and wish you well! :goodluck:

I'm glad you are meeting up with some old friends here, (you may meet many!) and feel sure that you will make new ones, as well! :thumbsup:

Boy, am I ever glad to meet :hattip: another right-brain dominant person on the board! :buzzin:
Yippee! :happydance:

We math and computer-challenged folks need to stick together! :handinhand:

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
Lookin' for something else - found this. I think it's nice and appropriate for this thread. :yes:

http://youtu.be/soIh9SBGpDI

Mike
Mike that guitar music was just fabulous!! What skill in all three. And a banjo too. I love a banjo and a guitar together. That first guy's guitar was a beaut. That wasn't your typical Michoacan crap you buy in Jaurez. At CCLA we used to have a guy, I wish I could remember his name, but he was the featured banjo player on the Glen Campbell show. Thanks again for flowing theta (or if you don't like scientologese,) asthetic magic to Reuben's Roost. R.H.

M

Moderator 2

I've decided to move this thread to another forum because there's a lot of good stuff here from Reuben that will be denied to lurkers if it stays in the humor section.

M2

Free to shine

Shiny & Free

When I first became a staff member it was at CCLA (clams,creeps,loosers, and assholes.) I shared a room with several other guys, Bob Riggs was one, and a guy from Ottumwa Iowa was another. I was green as grass and thought Ron L. Hubbard? was nextdoor to God. I had recently learned the magic words...That's It! I believed those two words when spoken together with enough authoriy could stop a tsunami. One day, it was in early 1971 around six thirty in the morning L.A. was hit by an earthquake. It was the biggest I'd ever experienced and I was a native of the town. It was as if the house had been hit by a wrecking ball. Luckily it was an old frame house, on Beacon Ave. Edwardian in fact and in its day quite fashionable. It's day was the high button shoe era. In the Valley where the epicenter was, some flimsy modern houses collapsed. On Beacon we got through it nicely, only loosing all the chimneys on the street. Anyway in the next room a kid named Dick Hubbard (lucky for him no relationship to the royal family), yelled out THAT'S IT! and I thought, 'Alright, now that earthquake's in trouble. Somebody yelled the magic words. But guess what...it wasn't . There came an after shock almost as violent as the first one. I had a standing bird cage with several occupants including OT a yellow lutino parakeet who later became famous in the course room for taking off and flying round the room whenever anyone asked 'Do birds fly?' OT's cage went flying with him it. And I thought, Gosh, Dickie Hubbard didn't yell That's It loud enough. He did try it a second time and it didn't work again. So then and there I had my first withold. I secretly believed that the words 'Plunk your magic twanger Froggie,' were more powerful than That's It. Reuben Hart

Honestly mate, your way with words is fantastic! Your story of OT had me laughing out loud, thanks.

Thought we slipped sideways a bit...

Hey, We're a moveable feast! Thank you, Mod 2! It's all good Reuben, this just means that more people can read what you are writing here. :)

I know that people really enjoy hearing your stories about your time "in".

I can honestly say that I will never again see a yellow parakeet without thinking of OT flying around the room at "Do Birds Fly?" :biggrin: :happydance:

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
Re: Thought we slipped sideways a bit...

Hey, We're a moveable feast! Thank you, Mod 2! It's all good Reuben, this just means that more people can read what you are writing here. :)

I know that people really enjoy hearing your stories about your time "in".

I can honestly say that I will never again see a yellow parakeet without thinking of OT flying around the room at "Do Birds Fly?" :biggrin: :happydance:
Something happened with me, OT, (the yellow lutino parakeet,)a miracle, and an E.T. I hardly ever talk about it, because only a very few people could relate to it or believe it. in fact, I once told a government official, and she said, "is that it?" and I said, "Yes." and she said, "Okay, well, you're insane. So we're going to put you on mental disability and give you $802 a month!" So I guess I owe my continuing to be able to feed myself to sweet OT. Reuben P.S. I won't write this on a thread, because there would be one particular repercussion I might not be able to avoid. So for those who wish to know, send me a PM. Only tell me how to send it on to others. I can't write the same farshluggerner story ten times. R.H.

The Power of smiles plus some basic how to computer advice

Well, I started out to put a post here, so let me finish that and then I'll try to answer Reuben's question about how to pm multiple folks...

Here's a very interesting talk on the Power of Smiling, which I think is a very appropriate topic for this thread! :thumbsup:

Now that Reuben has a computer at his disposal, I think he really might enjoy listening to/watching TED talks. Reuben, you are one smart cookie, so don't let all the scientific topics put you off, it's just fascinating new research and thinking on a wide variety of different subjects! You can watch them free on the computer like radio or t.v.

Here's the smiley one:

http://www.ted.com/talks/ron_gutman_the_hidden_power_of_smiling.html

I think just clicking on that link should get you there. Click on the little arrow on the lower left hand side of the window to begin to play/download. It may pause until fully loaded or start and stop, depending on how powerful your computer is. It's a short and fun talk! :)

Reuben, I can think of two options for multiple postings of pms. I'm sure others could advise you much better than I.

1. You are allowed to put up to 5 different names in the address bar when you send a pm, so wait until you have more than one name and send it out to multiple people at once. Or, once you have written a pm it gets saved to your sent file, maybe you have to click on a box to save it, I can't remember if it's automatic. Anyway, you could retrieve your pm from the sent file, and just re-send it with a new name in the address (send to) box.

Do you know how to copy text yet? I can tell you how using a mouse, not sure if your computer uses that or other adaptive technology. I can't tell you how just by using the keyboard, but there are keyboard commands for doing the same action.

To copy text: Put the cursor (the little flashing upright line) just to the left of the first letter of whatever you want to copy. You can move the cursor around by moving the mouse which will show a big capitol I image floating around on top of the typed text, move it to just where you want the cursor to be, and then click once on the left button. I'll bet you've discovered how to do this already. :)

Then push and hold the left button (we say, "left click") that's at the top of your mouse, right under your finger. Push and hold it down and then drag the highlighted part across the line of text over the page that you wish to copy. It will be "highlighted" or turn dark, you can lower it on the page (to do a whole paragraph or big block of text) just by lowering the mouse.

Moving in small increments has a big effect, and it takes some time to be able to control the mouse movements easily. My hands don't always work too well, so sometimes I have to do these steps over, so be patient with yourself while you're learning these new skills. :)

Once the text you want to copy or move is highlighted then you hold the mouse very still and right click, a little window will pop up on the screen with commands, click on "cut", then put your cursor in the new place you want the text to appear and right click again to put the cursor there, like in an empty pm window, and then right click again with the mouse held still. The little window pops up again, click on "paste". And bingo! Your text magically appears in the new location. You can also click on "copy" which will just duplicate your highlighted text without removing it from the original location. i copy stuff all the time to move it around.

I hope this hasn't been too wordy and has been a bit helpful. I acquired all my computing skills by the bumble-around-and-learn method, and I've been very grateful over the years for people who have patiently explained to me how to do things. :yes:

Please forgive me if you are already well beyond needing this information and are well past the kindergarten stage of computing skills! No offense meant! :biggrin:

2. As you don't know in advance who or how many folks would like to hear your OT story, it might be simplest just to "copy" and "paste", insert the text of your "letter" with the story, for a new address, for a new pm window as requests come in.

You don't have to re-type it each time.

I hope I've been clear, sorry if this hasn't helped any! :blush:

Last edited: