What's new

Riverside Mission in the Day; a very spooky story

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I've only alluded to this story in some of my past posts, so I thought I'd submit a more detailed account.

I was, for a few months, the 'Security Guard' at Bent Corydon's Riverside Mission in the late '70's. I was paid between $50 (once) and $5 a week (most of the time) for this 'post'. This entailed me staying all night at the property, doing occasional rounds, and making sure the doors were locked. I spent most of my time, between patrols, down in the excellent library of occult books that I suspect were mostly the Corydon's collection.

I survived at the time by collecting food stamps, about $50 bucks a month, and an unemployment check. I think it was about $90 bucks every two weeks. I lived in an apartment shared by three other members, staff from the Hawaii mission that were in California for training, or something. They were such assholes, I almost got disenfranchised.

Sometimes when I was on duty, for who knows what reasons, other Scios would be hanging around after hours (midnight, or so) or where playing basketball or ping-pong in the gym.

One night I was talking to some fellow Scio, don't remember the subject, when we both started hearing what sounded like a crowd of people talking, just out of range of coherent hearing. I think we were in the gym when we first heard it, and it seemed to be coming from the front of the building. We both walked toward the sound, only to have it masked by our footsteps. We stopped before getting to the lobby, the small bookstore part of the mission by the front steps. We heard it again, this time it seemed to be coming from upstairs, so I do a complete patrol of the mission. No one there.

I wound up running into this guy again back in the gym, and although I was mostly intrigued at the time, not scared, this guy quickly became obviously fearful when I told him I couldn't find anyone. He very nervously said he had to split. I tried to convince him that I would appreciate someone hanging around, as this is kind of freaky, and would prefer not being alone. I figured a fellow believer would have lot's of 'confront' of this kind of phenomenon. He couldn't leave fast enough.

What ensued was one of the most trying nights of my life. The phenomenon continued, on and off, for hours. If I moved, the sound of my own footsteps and air movement would mostly mask the sounds, as they were very faint, but whenever I stopped, it seemed to be coming from elsewhere in the building. I'd go to one area, and then it would seem that the sounds where coming from another, often the area I had just left.

I soon wound up just sitting in the front lobby, just listening. I can say that my Scientological indoctrination did sort of help me in this, as I figured it's just some 'thetans' doing something weird.

My mild uneasiness quickly escalated to a deeper concern when the noises seemed to be in the room with me, and they seemed to be changing. What had sounded like a mellow cocktail party going on in the other room changed to something else. Hard to describe, as it's been many years, and I tried to forget this for a long time. I guess it sounded like groaning or something, maybe many people going 'uhhh!' at different pitches, though always just on the threshold of hearing.

Both the phenomenon and my anxiety was reaching a crescendo when, I swear to God, a book flew off the shelf and landed in the middle of the lobby floor, several feet away from the base of the shelves.

I jumped up and yelled 'THAT'S IT', reacting to my indoctrination, and, to my surprise, the noise stopped. At least for awhile. I would apply the same technique for the rest of the night if I heard the sounds again, which I tried vehemently not to hear. I don't think the Mission had more 'security patrolling' on any other night than that one.

I couldn't wait to report this to my senior, and had hopes of maybe being let in on some secrets, but I was to be disappointed. He didn't believe me, and the other guy refused to comment, as far as I heard. I think my senior at the time was Joe Yasbeck, as the 'Ethics Officer' and he tried to get me to believe it was the air conditioner making noise. I had spent several nights in that building, and never heard anything like it before or after. Regardless of this, I was told that it must be my 'bank' somehow, and that made me doubt my own senses.

As an addendum, the janitor at the time working for Bent, Eric Boecher, (not sure about the spelling) who was my very good friend who first taught me rock climbing, related a similar story one time; he claimed he was woken up one night when he was sleeping in that old 'YMCA' building by a 'buzzing' bunch of thetans!

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
"I lived in an apartment shared by three other members, staff from the Hawaii mission that were in California for training, or something. They were such assholes, I almost got disenfranchised."

I was Hawaii staff and went to Riverside twice for ethics handling/training/auditing. I know I'm not one of the "assholes" you refer to, 'cause the first time I was there I lived in a shack on the roof. Alden Bliss lived up there too, not in the same shack. Very basic accomodations, but it seemed tolerable at the time. I wasn't there much except to sleep. Might have been a problem if it rained, but it never did.

The second time I lived in an apt a few blocks from the mission with one other Hawaii staff member who was there much longer than I was. No Riverside staffers while I was there. Might have been the same apt though, as I know the personnel changed after I left, and I think included a mix of Riverside and Hawaii staff. I can't categorically deny the possibility of assholishness on the part of some of my Hawaiian brothers, though I don't know who they may have been. :eyeroll:

I remember Eric Boettcher. (That's my guess at the spelling.) I audited him the second time I was there. I was doing an HSDC retrain, I think because Joanie Mongiello didn't like my L3RD (Dn correction list) handling when she was C/S'ing for me in Hawaii. I had a blast auditing Eric. I was told later that Eric was considered a tough pc. I think it was 'cause he had that twitch -- you know what I mean -- so he made lots of body movements in session, which made it tougher to read the meter. I didn't have a problem with him, though, had fun.

Aloha

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
"I lived in an apartment shared by three other members, staff from the Hawaii mission that were in California for training, or something. They were such assholes, I almost got disenfranchised."

I was Hawaii staff and went to Riverside twice for ethics handling/training/auditing. I know I'm not one of the "assholes" you refer to, 'cause the first time I was there I lived in a shack on the roof. Alden Bliss lived up there too, not in the same shack. Very basic accomodations, but it seemed tolerable at the time. I wasn't there much except to sleep. Might have been a problem if it rained, but it never did.

The second time I lived in an apt a few blocks from the mission with one other Hawaii staff member who was there much longer than I was. No Riverside staffers while I was there. Might have been the same apt though, as I know the personnel changed after I left, and I think included a mix of Riverside and Hawaii staff. I can't categorically deny the possibility of assholishness on the part of some of my Hawaiian brothers, though I don't know who they may have been. :eyeroll:

I remember Eric Boettcher. (That's my guess at the spelling.) I audited him the second time I was there. I was doing an HSDC retrain, I think because Joanie Mongiello didn't like my L3RD (Dn correction list) handling when she was C/S'ing for me in Hawaii. I had a blast auditing Eric. I was told later that Eric was considered a tough pc. I think it was 'cause he had that twitch -- you know what I mean -- so he made lots of body movements in session, which made it tougher to read the meter. I didn't have a problem with him, though, had fun.

Aloha

There were quite a few Riverside staffers that shared apartments.
(I shared an apt with Steve Rothschild for awhile.)

There were also some who lived up on the top of that Mission.

There were also some who lived in the basement.
(I also did this for awhile.)

I am so glad that I blew and went back to college to finish my degree in math/computer science!

pineapple

Joanie Mongiello was a C/S? When did that happen?

She was also ED of the Honolulu Mission for a short time.

I guess it was shortly after Bent took over the Hono Mission. I'm vague on dates now, I guess this would have been in '76? I think she was the first ED we had who was originally Riverside staff. The guy who was ED when I joined staff in Honolulu had been removed by the GO (what they call the OSA now) and for a while we were babysat by a local OT/Cl VIII who was only there in the evenings and was just doing it temporarily as a favor to the GO. I think Joanie was our first emissary from Riverside.

I don't remember who I was auditing -- some other Hawaii staff member -- but Joanie sent me in to run Dianetics on this person. I was a permanent Dn auditor, having done HSDC at the mission while I was a public and my internship at the Hawaii Org after I joined staff. (As I recall it now, 35 years later.) The session went rough and I did an L3RD and Joanie didn't like the way I'd handled it, really went to town on me, chewed my ass out.

I don't just mean she wrote me a cram. I mean the famous yelling and screaming with which we were all well-acquainted. Not at all the way it's supposed to be between an auditor and C/S. Forget the Ivory Tower.

Joanie was C/S by default you might say, or appointed herself interim C/S. We didn't have anyone actually filling the post at the time, and Joanie apparently considered herself most qualified. (Although we did have a Cl VI on staff at the time, who had done the SHSBC at Saint Hill in England in the old days.)

Joanie got on my case a lot when she was in Honolulu, but in spite of it I couldn't help liking her. I don't think I was as bad an auditor as she thought I was, but the HSDC retrain in Riverside was fun. I flew through it and it did make me better.

Aloha

Last edited:

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
a book flew off the shelf and landed in the middle of the lobby floor, several feet away from the base of the shelves.

Nothing to do with this thread but when I read this sentence I remember what happened to me once.

I was at Blockbuster trying to figure out what movie to watch. I decided I would just suddenly discover one and watch that.

Right then I heard something hit the floor on the other side of shelf. I walked over and saw a movie laying on the floor.

It just happened to be The Blair Witch Project.

I left it alone.

To this day I wonder if there was a hidden camera filming the event.

pineapple

Maybe my impression has been wrong but I thought that Bobby (Joanie's hubby) was ED in Hawaii. :confused2:

Not the way I remember it. I don't ever remember Bobby coming to Honolulu Mission. Unless he was there while I was in Riverside, and we missed each other. :)

We had a bunch of ED's from Riverside. Most did not last long. It was almost a joke. The only one who did last was Frank Walker, who was around for quite a while. The sequence, as I remember it, was: Joanie, John Ruane, Earl Rehder (spell?), and Frank. I may have Ruane and Earl Rehder reversed.

To amplify my earlier post about Joanie C/S'ing in Hono: The guy who was ED when I joined staff was removed by the GO (now called the OSA). He was a Cl VI and was also the mission C/S, which is why we had no one filling the post when Joanie was there. This didn't matter a lot, since we also had no public pc's and the staff at that time certainly weren't getting any auditing.

Our former ED/CS was removed, I think, because the mission wasn't sending enough $ and public up the lines. I don't think it was for technical reasons. I saw some of his C/S'ing and auditing later and it looked competent. (I am/was? a Cl IV.) Tech delivery at the mission when I was a public was OK. There just wasn't enough of it.

Shortly after I joined staff he was removed and the mission fell into the hands of the GO, then Bent got it and we became Riverside's sister mission.

Joanie sent me in to run Dns on one of the other staff. It think it may have been a Dn assist, because as I said no one was on any sort of regular auditing at the time. So she may have considered this an emergency situation that justified her temporarily putting on a C/S hat. She didn't do C/S'ing on a regular basis.

If you find it hard to imagine Joanie as a C/S, I think I know where you're coming from with that. :)

Aloha

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather

Aloha

While I was on staff at the Riverside Mission, Eric and I summited taquitz rock three times. I was up on the face of what they now call 'Lilly Rock' with Eric, and I can vouch that he was one expert mountain climber, dispite the facial ticks. Hehe. I think he used it to fight off the pictures.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
While I was on staff at the Riverside Mission, Eric and I summited taquitz rock three times. I was up on the face of what they now call 'Lilly Rock' with Eric, and I can vouch that he was one expert mountain climber, dispite the facial ticks. Hehe. I think he used it to fight off the pictures.

The third climb with Eric was 'Angels Fright'. The name should have warned me. A route now classified as a 5;7 up Lilly rock. Watch out....

I thought it would be a slight increase in climbing difficulty, but I was wrong.

More tomorrow.

pineapple

Rock climbing's not something I ever did or knew anything about. I am a big city boy. It's not something I ever even heard of until my time in Hawaii and California. After I'd been in Hawaii a while, some guy who'd grown up in California asked me if I wanted to go rock climbing that weekend, and I was like, "What?"

A couple other things that caused jaws to drop when I was in Riverside: I had never eaten Mexican food and could not drive a car. That last one was really considered mind-blowing. I had always lived places where there was lots of public transportation and this wasn't considered too unusual. John Ruane said he was going to have somebody take me out and teach me some weekend, but it never happened.

If you find it hard to imagine Joanie as a C/S, I think I know where you're coming from with that. :)

After I posted the above remark about Joanie as a C/S, I got to thinking it sounds a little 1.1. (30 years later, scientologese is still handy sometimes.) I don't mean to put Joanie down, who as I said earlier I actually liked, even if she did get on my case a lot. I only meant that she didn't exhibit the personality type of other C/S'es I saw, who seemed more distant, ivory tower types. Joanie seemed a lot more extroverted, is maybe the word for it.

Aloha

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
In regards to CSs, I found them just like the rest of us - as varied as perople are.

The way I read "policy" was as an auditor or a PC I couldn't talk "case" etc with a CS but all "norma"l topics were OK. I found most extremely likeable on a personal level.
One of my very very best friends CS'd hundereds and hundreds of hours of my auditing over the years

As for "spirits" ( like many others ) long before scn I thought there existed spirits without bodies & still do after scn.

My take is this ( ducking ) that people who have passed on from this plane can ( not must .... perhaps ) joined what I call the Universal Consciousness. And that is NOT unreachable by us. Perhaps they continue to exist by us moving forward and therefore they are most eager to help us ( OK, some might call that God or whatever ). Name does not matter.

There is a "vibration" they put out to us & when we manage to get on that particular vibration ( some might call it this or that on the tone scale or whatever )

So, I believe that yes we can hear others... we just need to listen better.

I've talked to many ( very sane ) people over the years who have been spoken to by what we call ( for lack of a better name ) spirits.

Back to listening.

pineapple

In regards to CSs, I found them just like the rest of us - as varied as perople are.

The way I read "policy" was as an auditor or a PC I couldn't talk "case" etc with a CS but all "norma"l topics were OK. I found most extremely likeable on a personal level.
One of my very very best friends CS'd hundereds and hundreds of hours of my auditing over the years

As for "spirits" ( like many others ) long before scn I thought there existed spirits without bodies & still do after scn.

I was speaking of the C/S'es I saw while I was in Scn, none of whom I knew personally. I'll mention a few names:
Mary Corydon at Riverside Mission
Pam Moniz at Hawaii Org
Lee Evans at Hawaii Org
They were all way above me on the Grade Chart and more highly trained. In Mary's case, much more -- Cl IX. (I eventually made it to Cl IV.)

In those days I was very intimidated by OT's and had a backoff on communicating with them. That may have contributed to my view of them as distant. I'm sure you're right that C/S'es are just like the rest of us, but in those days I didn't see OT's as being like me. I know different now.

Re spirits, I dunno. In my Scn days of course I believed. I considered it self-evident that we were all spirits, so why shouldn't there be some spirits hanging around that didn't have bodies? Had some experiences that could have been interpreted as evidence of this, though nothing remarkable. Nowadays I dunno, don't think about it a great deal.

The last few days, since I stumbled on this forum, have been the most I've thought about Scn, and "spirits," in 30 years. I got out of Scn in 1981, and there have been long stretches of time since then where I haven't thought about the "spiritual" aspect of things at all, and haven't felt any the worse for it.

Aloha

I LOVE this thread!!! :happydance:

Mackie, you're not the only one who heard, saw and felt strange things going on in that building. :coolwink:

Is amazing to be there when it is almost emptied of humans. The "energy" in some places does still "buzz"! :biggrin:

phenomanon

Canyon
I was speaking of the C/S'es I saw while I was in Scn, none of whom I knew personally. I'll mention a few names:
Mary Corydon at Riverside Mission
Pam Moniz at Hawaii Org
Lee Evans at Hawaii Org
They were all way above me on the Grade Chart and more highly trained. In Mary's case, much more -- Cl IX. (I eventually made it to Cl IV.)

In those days I was very intimidated by OT's and had a backoff on communicating with them. That may have contributed to my view of them as distant. I'm sure you're right that C/S'es are just like the rest of us, but in those days I didn't see OT's as being like me. I know different now.

Re spirits, I dunno. In my Scn days of course I believed. I considered it self-evident that we were all spirits, so why shouldn't there be some spirits hanging around that didn't have bodies? Had some experiences that could have been interpreted as evidence of this, though nothing remarkable. Nowadays I dunno, don't think about it a great deal.

The last few days, since I stumbled on this forum, have been the most I've thought about Scn, and "spirits," in 30 years. I got out of Scn in 1981, and there have been long stretches of time since then where I haven't thought about the "spiritual" aspect of things at all, and haven't felt any the worse for it.

Aloha

I thought Mary Corydon was a great C/S.

She C/s'd me on NOTs and C/s'd for me when I was auditing some PCs on XDN.

I was in Riverside when CO$ was trying to steal Bent's Mission, and trying to run him down with their cars. Their tactics included every dirty trick that you've ever heard of.

phenomanon

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
I thought Mary Corydon was a great C/S.

She C/s'd me on NOTs and C/s'd for me when I was auditing some PCs on XDN.

I was in Riverside when CO$ was trying to steal Bent's Mission, and trying to run him down with their cars. Their tactics included every dirty trick that you've ever heard of.

phenomanon

Bent wrote up what he went thru in the HubTurd: Messiah or Madman book. At one point his mission was taken away from him, they put him thru the mill, he finally got it back but the Cof$ raided his bank accounts. The last hurrah came after the infamous mission holder meeting in San Fran where there were numerous on the spot declares. Bent wasn't one of them, but, he was paid a visit by the "finance police" that insisted he pay them 15k per day that they were auditing his mission. They wanted to make him sign papers that would have given them license to rip off the building itself, and it was at that point that Bent broke off from the Cof$.

Pete

phenomanon

Canyon
Bent wrote up what he went thru in the HubTurd: Messiah or Madman book. At one point his mission was taken away from him, they put him thru the mill, he finally got it back but the Cof$ raided his bank accounts. The last hurrah came after the infamous mission holder meeting in San Fran where there were numerous on the spot declares. Bent wasn't one of them, but, he was paid a visit by the "finance police" that insisted he pay them 15k per day that they were auditing his mission. They wanted to make him sign papers that would have given them license to rip off the building itself, and it was at that point that Bent broke off from the Cof$.

Pete

Yup. Bent wasn't at that meeting, but Dean Stokes called Bent and told him that COS was going to steal Bent's Mission.

Dean told me .

phenomanon

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I LOVE this thread!!! :happydance:

Mackie, you're not the only one who heard, saw and felt strange things going on in that building. :coolwink:

Is amazing to be there when it is almost emptied of humans. The "energy" in some places does still "buzz"! :biggrin:

Yeah? Any specific examples?