What's new

Telepathy = Remote Feeling Not Remote Thought

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
1882, coined (along with telæsthesia) by Eng. psychologist Frederic Myers (1843-1901), from tele- "far" (see tele-) + -pathy "feeling." Telepathic is first recorded 1884.

The occasional telepathic flash I get from others always involves emotional impacts, not calm rational thoughts. But experiments to measure "telepathy" usually seem to involve things like Zener cards, those cards with five symbols on them like a circle, cross etc.

Has anyone ever done a controlled experiment involving feelings? For example, sender and receiver in different rooms. One "test" done for a few seconds starting every minute. Twenty tests in all in a series. The test consists of the sender feeling or not feeling something strongly, and the receiver has to either mark yes or no. The strong feeling might be produced by sticking a pin in the person's arm; or showing them a picture of something unpleasant; or whatever the experimenter can think of as long as it produces a genuine strong feeling and not the rational concept of a strong feeling but not one actually experienced. Twenty in a series might be too long, with the sender's dread of the next item overshadowing the results.

Might be interesting. :)

Paul

uniquemand

Unbeliever
The occasional telepathic flash I get from others always involves emotional impacts, not calm rational thoughts. But experiments to measure "telepathy" usually seem to involve things like Zener cards, those cards with five symbols on them like a circle, cross etc.

Has anyone ever done a controlled experiment involving feelings? For example, sender and receiver in different rooms. One "test" done for a few seconds starting every minute. Twenty tests in all in a series. The test consists of the sender feeling or not feeling something strongly, and the receiver has to either mark yes or no. The strong feeling might be produced by sticking a pin in the person's arm; or showing them a picture of something unpleasant; or whatever the experimenter can think of as long as it produces a genuine strong feeling and not the rational concept of a strong feeling but not one actually experienced.

Paul

Telempathy.

Anon678

Patron

Has anyone ever done a controlled experiment involving feelings? For example, sender and receiver in different rooms. One "test" done for a few seconds starting every minute. Twenty tests in all in a series. The test consists of the sender feeling or not feeling something strongly, and the receiver has to either mark yes or no. The strong feeling might be produced by sticking a pin in the person's arm; or showing them a picture of something unpleasant; or whatever the experimenter can think of as long as it produces a genuine strong feeling and not the rational concept of a strong feeling but not one actually experienced. Twenty in a series might be too long, with the sender's dread of the next item overshadowing the results.

Paul

What a truly original idea. I doubt anyone has ever done any experiments like this.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Could it be done by us here? I'd be willing to try it.

TP

Yes, relatively easily, although it would probably take a few runs through to iron out any bugs. It would need, in my estimation, the following:

1. A sender somewhat known, so the receiver(s) can establish some sort of remote connection. Maybe someone who has posted a lot, who isn't anonymous, who maybe has a recent video online of themselves. I would be great for this, except I don't satisfy point 2. :)

2. Another person with the sender, who can do the testing. It would have to be (pseudo-)random, so the sender doesn't know what's coming, and the assistant wouldn't be able to know either, so the yes-no instructions for that series would have to come from a coin toss or something a second before the test.

3. Synchronised watches/clocks. In practice, this would be done from an Internet clock as a baseline, as that would be common throughout the world.

4. Then once it's set up, the test gets done, on the minute every minute from 6:00:00 pm GMT, or whatever, for 20 minutes. Each receiver PMs his/her results to the same particular someone, who will publish them together maybe an hour later. DON'T post the individual results, as it could influence subsequent postings.

5. Examine the results and comments, then try again, incorporating whatever changes are needed to make it better.

Paul

Good twin

Floater
Serious answer

Okay, here's my observations on this. This is by no means verified scientifically. My mom was one of those people who knew when the phone was going to ring and other strange but useless phenomena. I was never impressed by this, but now looking back on it I see that as part of the package, she did have a rather uncanny ability to connect with people, to feel what they felt and harmonize with that.

Fast forward.....My daughter has shown some interesting "telepathic" ability also. She may even fall into the "Indigo child" category. She has a band of friends that all seem to have this unusual bond. They know each others thoughts and moods. It's observable and sort of spooky.

She also "reads" animals. When she was less than 3 years old she told me things that our cat was thinking and it was very matter of fact to her, but amazing to me, as it was actually useful to my daughter to understand the cat's viewpoint.

She also has accused me of saying things that I never said, but must admit that I was thinking the very words that she claims she heard me say. This has happened many times. She is impossible to manipulate and sees through any attempt to do so. She is NOT academically gifted. It is more of an emotional strength.

IMO this is something that can't be tested accurately or proven scientifically. At least not in my daughter's case, as the manipulation factor is major. She won't be put on display or be part of a dog and pony show. She has found her "friends". They all display similar talents. As an Ex it takes some getting used to. :yes:

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Hmm... Interesting idea anyway DOF! :) - If this happens, and I have seen and heard of tantalizing examples. Then it indeed is 'feeling' that we can project/receive.

However.. This is a primary marketing 'point' used by the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology. Any 'spiritual fatastique' is..

But.. Bleh!.. I've tried that out. If Scientology does anything, it stunts any and all ability you had... You'll be dead as a mackerel on a bridge!

:yes:

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, relatively easily, although it would probably take a few runs through to iron out any bugs. It would need, in my estimation, the following:

1. A sender somewhat known, so the receiver(s) can establish some sort of remote connection. Maybe someone who has posted a lot, who isn't anonymous, who maybe has a recent video online of themselves. I would be great for this, except I don't satisfy point 2. :)

2. Another person with the sender, who can do the testing. It would have to be (pseudo-)random, so the sender doesn't know what's coming, and the assistant wouldn't be able to know either, so the yes-no instructions for that series would have to come from a coin toss or something a second before the test.

3. Synchronised watches/clocks. In practice, this would be done from an Internet clock as a baseline, as that would be common throughout the world.

4. Then once it's set up, the test gets done, on the minute every minute from 6:00:00 pm GMT, or whatever, for 20 minutes. Each receiver PMs his/her results to the same particular someone, who will publish them together maybe an hour later. DON'T post the individual results, as it could influence subsequent postings.

5. Examine the results and comments, then try again, incorporating whatever changes are needed to make it better.

Paul

I would not be able to be the sender either but I am willing to participate as a "receiver" if anyone else is interested. I think I can find someone who I could PM my results to.

All that would really be needed then is an agreement as to a particular day and time to do this experiment.

TP

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I would not be able to be the sender either but I am willing to participate as a "receiver" if anyone else is interested. I think I can find someone who I could PM my results to.

All that would really be needed then is an agreement as to a particular day and time to do this experiment.

TP

Great! The person to PM to would just be someone on the board who is taking part, who is reasonably trustworthy. It would probably be best to use someone who is interested but who is not being a receiver, purely because the report of their own answers might be considered invalid.

Anyone else want to play?

Paul

Good twin

Floater
Great! The person to PM to would just be someone on the board who is taking part, who is reasonably trustworthy. It would probably be best to use someone who is interested but who is not being a receiver, purely because the report of their own answers might be considered invalid.

Anyone else want to play?

Paul

Sure I'm in. :thumbsup:

Good twin

Floater
Great!

Biggest problem is finding a Sender. Needs someone willing to be public, not anonymous, and to have an assistant with them to provide the ouch!/no-ouch tests.

Paul

Check with Wisened One (Michelle). She's out and so is her husband Dean. Would that work? :confused2:

RogerB

Crusader
DOF, Ever the Scientist!

Paul

Paul,

I see you're being your dedicated, scientific self again :yes:

I note you underline the word "feelings" above. :)

Maybe, one should be a little more specific on that point. Exactly what "feelings."

One thing one must take into account is the fact that "moods & emotions" are or convey "feelings" . . . indeed, there is, in essence, no communication or relating without an emotion being expressed, as emotions/moods are in essence the carrier wave expression of the Being and its communication. Though moods/emotions might often be masked or hidden, they are still there, simply masked, and perceivable as such.

For you folks who find that you do have spiritual connection with others that you perceive, you'll observe that you can recognize the individual Beings you are in contact with by their particular "vibration or wavelength, mood-like signature."

Rog

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Maybe, one should be a little more specific on that point. Exactly what "feelings."

If you're going to get all pedantic on me, Rog, then try "sharp changes of feeling." Although if you are perceiving someone in agony, you are less likely to remotely notice a brief respite from that agony than the other way around.

Paul