What's new

That's my story and I'm sticking with it

Ho Tai

Patron Meritorious
I'm reading!

Babycakes,
I am reading your entries on this thread now and then, and wanted to wait until I was done to reply (life is very hectic right now and I haven't been checking in with ESMB very much), but I've seen a couple of things that tell me that you are maybe a bit fragile right now - thinking nobody's listening, feeling isolated, etc. I'll be in touch, but I want you to know that I'm very interested in your well-being and am very glad to finally get much more of your story. You have been very helpful to me and mine. :yes:

Ho Tai

smartone

My Own Boss
@Schwimmel -- make all the jokes you want, it's really ok with me. I mean, after all, I've been attempting to inject humor into this craziness, why shouldn't you? Go for it.

@Omnom, thanks for being here. And thanks for all you and your anon buddies do. :dancer:

The saga continues...

I went along for a few years, being the good do-bee, taking every course I was told to take, going to AO for cramming (and paying big $$ for the privilege). I was terrified of the cramming guy and the senior c/s at our org. They were the creme de la creme and, even though they never actually acted like they were above you, it felt that way. I couldn't do cramming at the org because I was "OT III." whew.

In another thread somewhere here (btw, do you people have any idea how many freaking threads there are? holy mother, I was hoping to get sort of caught up, but that is NOT going to happen. Gives new meaning to "lurk moar!!") someone was talking about the elitism, the hierarchy that happens throughout scn. I was happy to be slightly above "bottom feeder" and had absolutely no intention of climbing the food chain. My husband and I were treated pretty royally because we donated every time they asked us to. That made us Opinion Leaders. Har-de-har-har-har :roflmao:

On the academy levels I learned quickly to never, ever, ever, EVER say what I really thought about hubbard's tech. There were many pieces that did not fit and eventually I realized I had to STFU. I wish I could recall all of them, but the one that most stands out is -- drum roll -- Listing and Nulling. Every bit of that section of training caused WTF moments. I must have had 50 hours of word clearing on the correction list alone. For non-techies, google L4BRB. It's good for a chuckle.

Because my husband supported us, I was a full-time student -- every day from 9 - 6. And I kicked ass (except for L&N and service facs, another one that you truly have to suspend disbelief to get through). Have I mentioned that I hated it? And did I say how confused I was that I was even there?

There is only one word (ok, there really are 5 or 7,000) for how I got there: insidious.

Ok, I'm done beating that dead horse. Oh, except for the ending of my training: I made it to the Internship. The Sup was a sweet young woman who had not done any training, except the Sup course. She was very likable but somewhat clueless about my concerns re: auditing other people. I would be given pcs and told to do xyz by all sorts of other people around the org, mostly the staff section officer (is that right? the guy who gets the staff trained and audited?). One day he tells me to take a staff member in session and do an L4BRB :omg: And this pc is not the brightest bulb in the marquee -- nice lady, but left her education too early. I am supposed to word clear every single one of the questions on this freaking list while watching for reads. No way. Not going to happen. Ever. PLUS, she will NOT sit still. It's my worst worst worst nightmare. I sat in that chair and imagined myself getting up and walking out the door. It was all I could think of. I fiddled around talking to her about what seemed to be coming up and then just ended the session. Just ended it. Bam. She f/ned at the examiner and joined the SO the next day. Huh.

The end of the Internship came when they assigned a brand new public to me. I was supposed to teach her how to be audited -- what the emeter was, what we were doing, etc. I tried. She red tagged at the examiner (that means her session was not ok and she would have to be cleaned up by someone else within 24 hours). She got fixed up and came back to me for more. She red tagged again. I went home after that session and crawled into bed and pulled the covers up over me and stayed there for three days. The org called, begging, then threatening. At one point, the Internship Sup called and let a message: "Cathy, You are crashing the orgs stats. Get in here!" My husband asked me what had happened and all I could say was "I fucked somebody up, I can't go back, I don't ever want to do that again." <I can feel my heart pounding right now, just thinking about how terrified I was that I had hurt someone.>

Here's the craziest part: the org acted like nothing had happened. I never went back on the Internship and no one said a word about my continuing it. I did get "interviewed" by one of the high mucky-mucks and was asked what I thought was wrong with the Internship. It was multiple choice, so I picked one. And that was it for my training. I never had to listen to another tape, do another checkout, talk endlessly to the f*^king wall, go to the word clearer and so on, ad nauseum.
:buzzin::dance3::cloud9::hifive::bow::woohoo:

Babycakes, you're wonderful :happydance: I'm really enjoying your story. No rush, in your own time. That's something we have a lot of nowadays :thumbsup:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
This is true, the policy came into force around 1980ish, anyone who had taken LSD and previously left the SO had a brief window of time to re-join or be forever barred from the SO as an "LSD Case". If only I'd thought it through! :omg:

PS: The order is based on HCO Bulletin of 31 May 1977 "LSD - Years After They Have 'Come Off' LSD" and is based on "a thorough research" of two (2) cases.

Two? Now that's what I call thorough research!!! LOL

A friend of mine had got into the SO just before this policy. He told me that he had gotten started in Scientology by wandering into the org while high on LSD. I figure what happened after he came down was more surreal than while he was on the trip. He joined the SO shortly thereafter, but his time in the SO didn't last long.

He was smart enough to get out in the 80's, when the Finance Police started running rampant. He just decided he didn't want to be part of any group that tolerated this crap.

Babycakes

Patron
Babycakes,
I am reading your entries on this thread now and then, and wanted to wait until I was done to reply (life is very hectic right now and I haven't been checking in with ESMB very much), but I've seen a couple of things that tell me that you are maybe a bit fragile right now - thinking nobody's listening, feeling isolated, etc. I'll be in touch, but I want you to know that I'm very interested in your well-being and am very glad to finally get much more of your story. You have been very helpful to me and mine. :yes:

Ho Tai

:missyou::bighug:
Thanks Ho Tai, I wish I could drop by for a cuppa with you and yours. You guys are wonderful.
A bit fragile is a good way of putting it, very astute. Writing this has been harder than I thought it would be. I imagined just telling the story and being done with it, bit it's not quite working out that way. I'm reminded of the year I spent in an Incest Survivors group. Once a week I'd sit in that room and listen to the stories. God, it was awful, yet these brave women were speaking and many of them were actively exposing the secrets. It took me quite a while to get up the nerve to say anything and the night I did I had the most horrible nightmares. Totally not expected. After being in that group a year and talking more and getting the support so necessary to heal, I had my first ever dream of flying. It was beautiful -- peaceful, free.

So, yes, I'm struggling a little bit, finding my way with help from lovely people like you and yours -- give them my love.

Babycakes

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Eh, seen 1 LSD case, seen'em all! Don't apply the same tech to yourself as you apply to others.

"Who are the others?" ...
Funnily enough, I was once chatting with a guy on the balcony outside the L's HGC at the Fort Harrison. He told me the he was one of the "LSD Cases" mentioned in the HCOPL, he opined that he thought the other one in the "research" was probably Ron.

I couldn't believe he'd said it in an HGC Waiting Area. I smiled and said, "You do realise that you just said that out loud, don't you?"

We both cracked up. He was a very nice guy.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Glad you're telling your story Babycakes. I got a little chuckle out of this phrase:

being the good do-bee

and, I was wondering how many of the ESMB readers actually connect that with the 'Source' :)

(ans: Romper Room - 'Do be a do-bee! Don't be a don't-bee!)

Zinj

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Glad you're telling your story Babycakes. I got a little chuckle out of this phrase:

and, I was wondering how many of the ESMB readers actually connect that with the 'Source' :)

Zinj

:thumbsup:

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
Cathy, I just found this thread again and I'm riveted by your story. I'm so glad that telling it has been so helpful for you. Every time you do tell it, you will be able to feel that bit more free.

I was never a Scn, but it's evident to me that many intelligent and well-meaning people were caught up in it. So, don't beat yourself up. It's part of how you came to be who you are today.

Also, you're Jeff Hawkins' sister-in-law! (He's a legend.)

<3
I need to interrupt the story for a bit. I'm overcome by my feelings of relief for 1) finding ESMB and 2) writing about what happened to me and what I did. I'm not a new ex-scn and this is not the first time I've written about my experiences. But this is the first time I've done it in a community of caring, thoughtful, articulate, thinking people. You have traveled a similar path and you've felt the pain and confusion that I feel. You make it ok to speak about the unspeakable events and the appalling behavior (both mine and others').

As I read through various threads, I'm struck by the civility, humor, and compassion that permeates this place. Oh, and the wisdom -- of experience and love. I hope I can exorcise the demons that still live with me (and please, no BT jokes, ok?). I struggle to find balance, to know some peace, to forgive myself and others. I know, all in good time. Keep breathing.

So this is thank you. Thank you thank you thank you.

Too mushy, right? :confused2:

Ho Tai

Patron Meritorious
I have to say that, looking back, seeing what I did and how I stuck my head in the dirt after knowing what I knew, I feel deeply embarrassed. I know other people have done similar things and probably felt a bit shame-faced, but that doesn't help me feel any less of a jackass.

BC,
I suspect that most of the people on this board are embarrassed for some of the things they did. I know I am. We wore blinders that were partly fitted to us by others, partly by ourselves. We had the only means to save mankind. LRH showed us the way and we accepted it. Maybe we had some doubts, but sure didn't have an alternative, better solution. So we did what we did.

OK, so you can feel embarrassed (for a bit), but remember you did some good stuff too. It has helped me to do some more good stuff.

HT

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Babycakes, many students ran into similar circumstances - you just never heard about them because they were'nt allowed to talk about this kind of stuff in Scientology. I was a course sup and I know how limited one is without any academy level auditor training to help know what the heck is going on. It was standard operating procedure to put non-auditor trained sups in the courserooms. The church red tagged up the pc. Not you.

So glad the didn't drag you back to where you didn't want to be :)

Babycakes

Patron

Zinj

Good catch Zinj -- does that date us, or what? That must have been 50+ years ago! :lol:

Babycakes

Patron
Thanks for all your encouragement.

When last we spoke, I was celebrating being done with my academy training. I was interrupted many times on my auditor training because it was IMPORTANT that I do something else: PTS/SP Course, Solo Auditor course, some VM handbook courses blah blah blah. I could go off on many detours about the insanity of those courses, or more accurately, my becoming more and more insane and no longer knowing what the f*^k I was doing there. The PTS/SP course is probably the very best example of mind control ever devised for keeping people in the cult. It starts out with all of Hubbard's rambling paranoia and phobias, painting the world as a very dangerous place (such irony). It got blacker and more forbidding as I went along until I began to dread each course period. Genuinely scary stuff. And then, oh so gradually, Hubbard took me by the hand, consoled me, offered me hope and showed me the light. He had the answer, all I had to do was believe it. And in so doing, I came to the conclusion, once again, that scientology was going to save us all. (insert seriously offensive cursing here) What a great job he did.

In 2005 we thought we ought to move -- San Diego's housing market was about to crash and we needed the money badly that we could get for our house. We even went to Tucson to house hunt. How silly. There's no scientology in Tucson. What were we thinking? It's really really REALLY too bad we didn't just buy a house there and get while the getting was good. But no. We went to a Flag tour event. At the end, we both had the same idea, as if it was the most logical thing in the world: move to Clearwater. Yeah, that's the ticket. Our house sold for way more than it was worth and we were very lucky. That's not going to happen again for a very very long time.

While we were in escrow, we flew to Clearwater to see about purchasing a house to live in and one to rent out. A realtor who was a scientologist had been recommended so we went with him to look at property. Well. First, this realtor, Kerry Fuller, is a lazy bum IMHO. He knew scientologists were going to be moving to Florida in droves so he did the bare minimum. And second, Florida sucks. And it stinks. We were amazed at every house we looked at. There were too types: gaudy MacMansions or do-it-yourself nightmares.

We spent five hours with Kerry, picked two not-too-horrible DIY projects, made offers, got acceptances, flew home. We did all the rest long distance.

I'm sure you're wondering about the $$ we got out of the S.D. house. We managed to hang onto almost all of it. We got really stingy.

Too bad the housing market crashed in Florida and when we finally left, we lost it all.

I'll fill in some of the details of trying to survive Clearwater, Flag, CCHR, VM madness (think Hurricane Katrina) next time.

Last edited:

Babycakes

Patron
Sticking my neck waaay out

Just for shits and giggles, here's one of the "poems" I wrote on the plane trip home from St. Hill in 1967. I will say that I was feeling quite wonderful after the Clearing course -- very up, open to anything, strong, maybe even happy.

It's okay to laugh at it...I certainly do.

I tasted Infinity

I tasted Infinity
Now it's mine
I hear it's secrets
It's moans and indignities,
and I listen,
understand, and know these miseries,
Yet leave them below.

I await with infinite patience as you
climb the ladder to comprehension --
Infinity

Huh. There are more, but let's see how much guffawing this one generates before bringing out another one.

EP - Ethics Particle

Gold Meritorious Patron
Laughter is strong medicine!

Just for shits and giggles, here's one of the "poems" I wrote on the plane trip home from St. Hill in 1967. I will say that I was feeling quite wonderful after the Clearing course -- very up, open to anything, strong, maybe even happy.

I tasted Infinity

I tasted Infinity
Now it's mine
I hear it's secrets
and I listen,
Yet leave them below.

Infinity

Huh. There are more, but let's see how much guffawing this one generates before bringing out another one.

I love your poem, Babycakes - and thank you for sharing. :yes::hug: It represents well your condition at that moment in time... :cloud9:

For whatever reasons, your poem, for me, leads into this favorite of mine - which has a story of its own (for another time, perhaps)... that said, I feel total confidence that you will see the possible connections. :wink2:

(Poem #608) The Spider's Web:

The spider, dropping down from twig,
Unfolds a plan of her devising,
A thin premeditated rig
To use in rising.

And all that journey down through space,
In cool descent and loyal hearted,
She spins a ladder to the place
From where she started.

Thus I, gone forth as spiders do
In spider's web a truth discerning,
Attach one silken thread to you
For my returning.

E. B. White

EP :)

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oh Babycakes

Oh Babycakes, still listening (reading) here. :thumbsup: Keep going. You are infinitely interesting. We all go :duh: - about scn . . .

FoTi

Crusader

I tasted Infinity

I tasted Infinity
Now it's mine
I hear it's secrets
and I listen,
Yet leave them below.

Infinity

Hey, Babycakes.....don't knock your own wins......you paid for them and they are the more pleasant times in one's life and make for nice memories. I understand your poem and I like it! Just because shit came later doesn't make the good times any less. "feeling quite wonderful after the Clearing Course -- very up, open to anything, strong, maybe even happy" is pretty nice, I think. :yes:

Looking forward to more of your story. :drama:

Babycakes

Patron
Hey, Babycakes.....don't knock your own wins......you paid for them and they are the more pleasant times in one's life and make for nice memories. I understand your poem and I like it! Just because shit came later doesn't make the good times any less. "feeling quite wonderful after the Clearing Course -- very up, open to anything, strong, maybe even happy" is pretty nice, I think. :yes:

Looking forward to more of your story. :drama:

You're right, of course. Yes, the nectar was sweet, unfortunately it turned out to be a Pitcher plant, and soon it was devouring me.