What's new

The Levine Report: Scientology Secret Mind Control Techniques Exposed

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34302522/Levine-Declaration-3 original version

http://paulsrabbit.com/levine.pdf webbed version by DOF; easier read without the distractions

I came across this declaration by Robert Levine while researching the Headley Lawsuit case. I found the information and opinions given by Levine to be outstanding and hope they will help Mark and Claire with their case.

Reading through Levine's declaration I became fascinated, because the insights into the mind of how cult members get lured in and then STAY for way too long at great expense while enduring abuse... whether public and or especially SO staff... allowed me for the first time to really understand the complexity of techniques, controls and manipulations at play that render one 'caught in the cult trap'.

Of significant note, Levine's explanation of the clever use of auditing as a mind control mechanism makes it clear that auditing is not really 'brainwashing' nor 'hypnosis', but rather a very clever form of mind control and manipulation.

Levine's declaration, if lengthy, is yet an excellent read towards understanding the myriad of concerted techniques employed by the cult to entrap members and maintain dominance and control over them.

I have read Mark Headley's book 'Blown for Good' and found it very good despite what I felt was a rushed, unrefined ending. Mark's story left me wondering 'just how could anybody possibly get so tied up in scn that they would put up with such utter cruelty and disparagement?'. No offense to Mark but I was left wandering if he wasn't DUMB.... I was flabbergasted by the amount of and duration of abuse that he endured. Yet, after reading Levine's declaration, I have a whole different understanding of how his miserable stay in the COS was born and thus endured for so long.
Although I was subject to lessor degrees of some of the same coercive pathological** mind control techniques during my short lived life as a Scientologist, early experiences in my life that evolved a deep sense of mistrust for group oriented commonality spared me from becoming deeply entrenched in Scientology as I would not easily relinquish my individuality to any notion of 'the greater good'; at least not to such an extent that belief and commitment to Scientology practice would perpetually override and dominate my own sense of individual worth and self determinism in cooperation with the inseparable universe I interact with. Yet my own Scn. experience, however fortunate it may have been for me to have exited in fairly short order (albeit not unscathed), left me nonetheless rather clueless about why many others stayed in for extended periods enduring enormous sacrifices and misery either as paying public slaves or as staff working slaves. I feel that I have a far better understanding of what exactly happened and how it occurred now (for myself and others); it has helped me to reassign many previous personally held criticisms of ex-members, especially those who suffered the most at the hands of L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology and his beast The COS.

** Pathological per Merriam Websters definition #3:
Main Entry: path·o·log·i·cal
Pronunciation: \ˌpa-thə-ˈlä-ji-kəl\
Variant(s): also path·o·log·ic \-jik\
Function: adjective
Date: 1688
1 : of or relating to pathology
2 : altered or caused by disease; also : indicative of disease
3. Being such to a degree that is extreme, excessive, or markedly abnormal <a pathological liar> <pathological fear>

Last edited:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
11. The essential questions that I will address in this declaration are whether an average person ( without clear psychological pathologies ) would have been able to make clear and independent rational decisions given the physical, social and psychological environment created by Scientology and, hence, whether the Headleys were deprived of free will in making such decisions.

The elimination of the exercise of free will and rational thought is central to Scientology. We see the evidence of the long term effects scattered throughout the threads here. Whether one calls the primary modus operandi brainwashing, hypnotism or cognitive reprogramming it all adds up to one big mind fuck. This link provides real insight. I need reminding just how damaged some people become. And also that, regardless of the damage, the essential goodness within somehow, generally speaking, survives despite it. Thanks.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I highly recommend to people that they read it all.

Yes, me too. Some of it is obviously more applicable to Int with its closed and guarded physical border than to other Sea Org installations and Class V orgs, but much of it still applies even to public only.

Paul

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thought Control

From Levine's Declaration; pg. 17

Thought Control

The most important consequence of behavior and information control is the
control of the individual’s thoughts. Thought control was also directly manipulated in Scientology. Thoughts were controlled in a number of ways that are typical of manipulative groups, although Scientology was sometimes more creative in their methods. (emphasis added)
The Headleys were encouraged to think in simplistic black and white terms.
Scientology was good; all else was evil. The tenets of Scientology were right and any challenges were wrong. It was understood that expressing thoughts in shades of grey would not be tolerated.
This simplistic thinking is a common lure in cults, which often attract recruits by offering them simple answers to the complexities of life. Scientology documents professed solutions to the problems of living (p. 69). Whether or not they truly did offer solutions is open to question. On
the psychological level, however, this way of thinking serves to undermine the need for individuals to take control of their own lives.

My note: This simplistic mind control technique, in my experience and observation, was used extensively in Hubbard's writings and as practiced by the COS. It's ironic and, perhaps more precisely expressed as, dishonestly manipulative how Scientology professes to offer the practitioner more cause over life and increase his self determinism while at the same time insisting that the only way to achieve such results are to agree that the 'tech' of Scientology is the sole, unquestioned path to obtain it; further that 'all other attempts by man have failed' essentially because 'the evil psychs' have implanted the minds of all of mankind' with falsehoods intended to make him fail and decease.... which of course only the 'insurmountable LRon' was able to overcome and alas deliver us back to an everlasting, super power state of being.

This is a bait and switch technique which puts one under the mind control of Scientology, making one overlook the fact that he is deferring his immediate and potential worth as a subordinate to Hubbard and his Scientology.

Facing the complexities of life is a struggle. Relying on simple
answers from an outside source relieves one of this burden but it requires the relinquishment of independent thinking and personal control. Once an individual settles into the comfort of simplistic thinking, it quickly becomes habitual. It has long-term consequences for decisions about leaving the group: Members get used to thinking this way and the fear of living on one’s
own, where one must confront the complexities of survival, becomes a serious deterrent to leaving.

Levine, 2003, supra.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Must Read Report!

Ok. I just finished reading this and this is MUST READ material for all ex's but especially ex SO and Staff members. Read it and bump it up as the title does not convey the importance of this report. http://paulsrabbit.com/levine.pdf

Mary

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ok. I just finished reading this and this is MUST READ material for all ex's but especially ex SO and Staff members. Read it and bump it up as the title does not convey the importance of this report. http://paulsrabbit.com/levine.pdf

Mary

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your input on this thread/subject matter. I have revised the title to help the subject matter get more audience. If you have any other suggestions for the title, please let me know.

KV

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your input on this thread/subject matter. I have revised the title to help the subject matter get more audience. If you have any other suggestions for the title, please let me know.

KV

The Levine Report: Scientology Secret Brainwashing Techniques Exposed

(They are really Hubbard's, and DM's, and as it rolls downhill the CofS's techniques, but Levine calls the perp "Scientology" and I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.)

Paul

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you so much for posting this Declaration KV.

Whoa!

Levine nails it!

If anyone reading this:

• Has been in scientology;
  • Knows someone that has been (is);
  • Knows someone in a destructive group;
  • Doesn't understand why some people stay in "toxic" relationships
Then please, if you can, take the time to read this Declaration by Levine. It well worth the effort/time.

Levine presents the power/control dynamics of a destructive controlling system in a way which are very easy to grasp.

Thanks again KV. :)

Marc and Claire thank you so much. I truly admire your courage.

...right must be time for a loud blast of "Won't get Fooled Again" (The Who) - full length version!

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Levine Report: Scientology Secret Brainwashing Techniques Exposed

(They are really Hubbard's, and DM's, and as it rolls downhill the CofS's techniques, but Levine calls the perp "Scientology" and I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.)

Paul

OK, thanks I liked that one... so I changed the title (again!). I was thinking of using 'mind control' in place of 'brainwashing' but will sit on it for now. Any thoughts?

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you so much for posting this Declaration KV.

Whoa!

Levine nails it!

If anyone reading this:

• Has been in scientology;
  • Knows someone that has been (is);
  • Knows someone in a destructive group;
  • Doesn't understand why some people stay in "toxic" relationships
Then please, if you can, take the time to read this Declaration by Levine. It well worth the effort/time.

Levine presents the power/control dynamics of a destructive controlling system in a way which are very easy to grasp.

Thanks again KV. :)

Marc and Claire thank you so much. I truly admire your courage.

...right must be time for a loud blast of "Won't get Fooled Again" (The Who) - full length version!

Thank you for your kind words Sally. :)

And yes... why don't we...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y&feature=related

lurkanon

Patron with Honors
Thank you so much for this. It is an outstanding overview. And especial thanks to Paul for PDFing it, that really helped access. I am sorry you do not know who I am, but I can assure you that this report is being sent far and wide.

Thank you very much, again!

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thank you so much for this. It is an outstanding overview. And especial thanks to Paul for PDFing it, that really helped access. I am sorry you do not know who I am, but I can assure you that this report is being sent far and wide.

Thank you very much, again!

And to U2, TYVM!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
53. Perhaps the epitome of Scientology’s thought control manipulation was the auditing process. In most cases auditing was presented to the member as an essential step in reaching their highest religious potential, i.e. going Clear. In some cases – what are described as situations where the auditor would announce I’m not auditing you – wayward members were told it
was to correct misdeeds or help improve their contributions to the organization. In both cases, however, these supposed lie detectors were assumed by those being tested to be capable of revealing their true inner thoughts....

(Excerpt from page 19 of Levine's Declaration)