What's new

The Levine Report: Scientology Secret Mind Control Techniques Exposed

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yeah, me too. I've struggled to understand as well but this document explains exactly how Scientology mind control works, how pernicious it is, and difficult it is to overcome. It has significantly softened my view towards those trapped inside. My new working theory is that these poor people are actually among the most altruistic and trusting of people.

That's great. Not an easy thing to see through seeing as the SO victims are doing the bidding for this awful cult.

What goodness that might otherwise have poured into the world has been sacrificed at the altar of Mammon by L Ron Hubbard?

Pretty much... quite unfortunate.

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron
What a perfect article!

Just finished reading the Levine Report - What a great work!

First I would like to quote Gary Morehead one of Marty Rathburns true believers:

"I mean there is a policy – an advice that L. Ron Hubbard wrote that says if you leave the Int Base you automatically get declared, so, you know, you’re basically never going to be able to see your family again if you do this, and do you really want to do this?. . ."

Does anybody know this policy or "advice" of Hubbard? If yes may you please post it here?

Then I would like to tell you how hard it is for me to realize again and again how my brother Uwe was trapped by this cult. It is helping me to understand how this could happen but it hurts me so very deep inside my heart especially because I always felt that there is something very wrong in this cult and because it is hard to confront how my father and my halfbrothers are trapped by this mechanisms too.
I know, I understand now....
It took me many years to free myself from this mind manipulation - so I understand completely and still I have to ask WHY? WHY Papa? - why are you not able to wake up right now - before it is too late - too late again.....
Why are you not able to just listen to me I could help you to wake up.
But there is this other effective suppressive instrument which was installed by Hubbard called "DISCONNECTION"
My father is not longer talking to me since May 2009 because I started to attack his cult because I know that Hubbard with his crazy ideas is responsible for the cruel suffering and death of my brother Uwe. I don't know if anybody is able to understand how horrible that is for me.

Best wishes
Markus

P.S. the following is a quote from another must read article about Hubbards mind control mechanisms:

"After an in-depth examination, an Investigative Commission titled "So-called Sects and Psycho-Groups" set up by the German Bundestag (Parliament) described the organization in its final report as an anti-constitutional movement with a criminogenic structure. This evaluation is in agreement with that of the German forces of order. Behind the cloak of a new religion, this organization – described as a psychogroup and not as a religious community by the Investigative Commission – was able to skillfully hide its salient structural traits until recently, namely organization and logistics of a commercial corporation; expansionist strategies of an aggressively functioning structural distribution system (marketing of franchises by forming chains of subsidiary companies,hard-selling of human leadership and change in the form of social engineering. In other words, ruthless of psychological and social techniques borrowed from behavioral psychology in order to recruit workers, customers and members; use of totalitarian organization techniques to thoroughly discipline and intrumentalize its workers by constant control in terms of time and space."

from a work of Dr. Jürgen Keltsch for the Bavarian State about "What is Scientology" you can find it here:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=19028

Last edited:

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Just finished reading the Levine Report - What a great work!-snip-

Then I would like to tell you how hard it is for me to realize again and again how my brother Uwe was trapped by this cult. It is helping me to understand how this could happen but it hurts me so very deep inside my heart especially because I always felt that there is something very wrong in this cult and because it is hard to confront how my father and my halfbrothers are trapped by this mechanisms too.
I know, I understand now....
It took me many years to free myself from this mind manipulation - so I understand completely and still I have to ask WHY? WHY Papa? - why are you not able to wake up right now - before it is too late - too late again.....
Why are you not able to just listen to me I could help you to wake up.
But there is this other effective suppressive instrument which was installed by Hubbard called "DISCONNECTION"
My father is not longer talking to me since May 2009 because I started to attack his cult because I know that Hubbard with his crazy ideas is responsible for the cruel suffering and death of my brother Uwe. I don't know if anybody is able to understand how horrible that is for me.

Best wishes
Markus

[/url]

Hi Markus,

Thank you for your post. I am truly sorry for you and the awful experience you are being put through with having lost your brother as well as the severed contact with your remaining family members that are caught in the Cult of Scientology. Levine's article has helped to come to a better understanding of how decent people with good intentions to help others can end up becoming imprisoned within Scientology. It's really quite sordid and repulsive.

I believe the day will come when this Cult shall be brought to justice on a wide reaching scale. Keep your story alive Markus, the world needs to know...

KV

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Pg.25 from Levine's Declaration (emphasis added)

67. Perhaps the epitome of Scientology’s manipulations to gather potentially
self-incriminating information – and, I would argue, their most creative--was the auditing process, which I have already described under my discussion of thought control. It is certainly possible that, as promised by Scientology, auditing can help a member achieve personal growth (i.e. go clear). (I have not, however, seen empirical evidence that it actually does so). Certainly,
however, the revelations that came out of these sessions about a member’s personal flaws left them that much more vulnerable to potential retribution by Scientology in the future.
68. In a totalistically insular organization like Scientology, fears of what this
personal information can be used for get exaggerated in the mind of the member. One becomes easily convinced that the organization has information about them that can be brought out to ruin them at any time, in any future endeavor; and, in the case of Scientology, it was understood by
members that the organization knew no bounds in how far they would, in fact, go to ruin anyone who resisted orders
; and it was perceived that the organization would go that much further to ruin them if they tried to leave. The actualities of what Scientology would do to hurt the member was less important than the member’s perceptions of what they would do. In the end, members were left feeling that what they had revealed about themselves left them even more deeply immersed within the control of the organization.

This information would serve well to be introduced to new people who are considering joining Scientology.

Markus

Silver Meritorious Patron
Scientology mind control.....

if you open your eyes Hubbards trap is clear to see.

Mockingbird6

Patron with Honors
From the document:
87. Their situation is reminiscent of that of many cult members. It has been said by ex-cult members that nobody joins a cult; they simply postpone the decision to leave. Levine, 2003, supra. The problem in manipulative, exploitive organizations like these is that participants get caught deeper and deeper in the web as time goes on. We see this clearly in the case of the Headleys – the signed documents, financial commitments, social connections and accumulation of other fears that increasingly tied them to staying. As one’s commitments to a group increase, they are left with more to lose. This leads to an irrational and counterproductive way of thinking that cognitive psychologists call the sunk cost trap. The term sunk costs refer to non-recoverable investments of time or money. The trap occurs when a person’s aversion to loss impels them, in economic terms, to throw good money after bad because they don’t want to lose their earlier investment. See, e.g., Hammond, J., et al., Smart Choices: A Practical Guide to Decision Making Boston: Harbard Business School Press (1999).

The bolded items above were experienced by me as a public. This helped me understand this. Thanks DOF.

smartone

My Own Boss
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34302522/Levine-Declaration-3 original version

http://paulsrabbit.com/levine.pdf webbed version by DOF; easier read without the distractions

I came across this declaration by Robert Levine while researching the Headley Lawsuit case. I found the information and opinions given by Levine to be outstanding and hope they will help Mark and Claire with their case.

Reading through Levine's declaration I became fascinated, because the insights into the mind of how cult members get lured in and then STAY for way too long at great expense while enduring abuse... whether public and or especially SO staff... allowed me for the first time to really understand the complexity of techniques, controls and manipulations at play that render one 'caught in the cult trap'.

Of significant note, Levine's explanation of the clever use of auditing as a mind control mechanism makes it clear that auditing is not really 'brainwashing' nor 'hypnosis', but rather a very clever form of mind control and manipulation.

Levine's declaration, if lengthy, is yet an excellent read towards understanding the myriad of concerted techniques employed by the cult to entrap members and maintain dominance and control over them.

I have read Mark Headley's book 'Blown for Good' and found it very good despite what I felt was a rushed, unrefined ending. Mark's story left me wondering 'just how could anybody possibly get so tied up in scn that they would put up with such utter cruelty and disparagement?'. No offense to Mark but I was left wandering if he wasn't DUMB.... I was flabbergasted by the amount of and duration of abuse that he endured. Yet, after reading Levine's declaration, I have a whole different understanding of how his miserable stay in the COS was born and thus endured for so long.
Although I was subject to lessor degrees of some of the same coercive pathological** mind control techniques during my short lived life as a Scientologist, early experiences in my life that evolved a deep sense of mistrust for group oriented commonality spared me from becoming deeply entrenched in Scientology as I would not easily relinquish my individuality to any notion of 'the greater good'; at least not to such an extent that belief and commitment to Scientology practice would perpetually override and dominate my own sense of individual worth and self determinism in cooperation with the inseparable universe I interact with. Yet my own Scn. experience, however fortunate it may have been for me to have exited in fairly short order (albeit not unscathed), left me nonetheless rather clueless about why many others stayed in for extended periods enduring enormous sacrifices and misery either as paying public slaves or as staff working slaves. I feel that I have a far better understanding of what exactly happened and how it occurred now (for myself and others); it has helped me to reassign many previous personally held criticisms of ex-members, especially those who suffered the most at the hands of L. Ron Hubbard's Scientology and his beast The COS.

** Pathological per Merriam Websters definition #3:
Main Entry: path·o·log·i·cal
Pronunciation: \ˌpa-thə-ˈlä-ji-kəl\
Variant(s): also path·o·log·ic \-jik\
Function: adjective
Date: 1688
1 : of or relating to pathology
2 : altered or caused by disease; also : indicative of disease
3. Being such to a degree that is extreme, excessive, or markedly abnormal <a pathological liar> <pathological fear>

Knight Vision I just love your posts. I wish I had the ability to express myself as you can.

I thought KTL would handle that but now I know why it didn't. :biggrin:

I've always had the same considerations as yourself regarding groups. Never trusted them, therefore I never joined staff.

As is your thoughts on why people suffer for so long in this cult. I've never really understood that. But then I had no family in the cult and wonder what I would have been willing to suffer just to stay in comm with them.

Re: Thought Control

From Levine's Declaration; pg. 17

Thought Control

The most important consequence of behavior and information control is the
control of the individual’s thoughts. Thought control was also directly manipulated in Scientology. Thoughts were controlled in a number of ways that are typical of manipulative groups, although Scientology was sometimes more creative in their methods. (emphasis added)
The Headleys were encouraged to think in simplistic black and white terms.
Scientology was good; all else was evil. The tenets of Scientology were right and any challenges were wrong. It was understood that expressing thoughts in shades of grey would not be tolerated.
This simplistic thinking is a common lure in cults, which often attract recruits by offering them simple answers to the complexities of life. Scientology documents professed solutions to the problems of living (p. 69). Whether or not they truly did offer solutions is open to question. On
the psychological level, however, this way of thinking serves to undermine the need for individuals to take control of their own lives.

My note: This simplistic mind control technique, in my experience and observation, was used extensively in Hubbard's writings and as practiced by the COS. It's ironic and, perhaps more precisely expressed as, dishonestly manipulative how Scientology professes to offer the practitioner more cause over life and increase his self determinism while at the same time insisting that the only way to achieve such results are to agree that the 'tech' of Scientology is the sole, unquestioned path to obtain it; further that 'all other attempts by man have failed' essentially because 'the evil psychs' have implanted the minds of all of mankind' with falsehoods intended to make him fail and decease.... which of course only the 'insurmountable LRon' was able to overcome and alas deliver us back to an everlasting, super power state of being.

This is a bait and switch technique which puts one under the mind control of Scientology, making one overlook the fact that he is deferring his immediate and potential worth as a subordinate to Hubbard and his Scientology.

Facing the complexities of life is a struggle. Relying on simple
answers from an outside source relieves one of this burden but it requires the relinquishment of independent thinking and personal control. Once an individual settles into the comfort of simplistic thinking, it quickly becomes habitual. It has long-term consequences for decisions about leaving the group: Members get used to thinking this way and the fear of living on one’s
own, where one must confront the complexities of survival, becomes a serious deterrent to leaving.

Levine, 2003, supra.

A useful snippet of information.:yes:

Smackthis

Patron
Re: Thought Control

From Levine's Declaration; pg. 17

Thought Control

The most important consequence of behavior and information control is the
control of the individual’s thoughts. Thought control was also directly manipulated in Scientology. Thoughts were controlled in a number of ways that are typical of manipulative groups, although Scientology was sometimes more creative in their methods. (emphasis added)
The Headleys were encouraged to think in simplistic black and white terms.
Scientology was good; all else was evil. The tenets of Scientology were right and any challenges were wrong. It was understood that expressing thoughts in shades of grey would not be tolerated.
This simplistic thinking is a common lure in cults, which often attract recruits by offering them simple answers to the complexities of life. Scientology documents professed solutions to the problems of living (p. 69). Whether or not they truly did offer solutions is open to question. On
the psychological level, however, this way of thinking serves to undermine the need for individuals to take control of their own lives.

My note: This simplistic mind control technique, in my experience and observation, was used extensively in Hubbard's writings and as practiced by the COS. It's ironic and, perhaps more precisely expressed as, dishonestly manipulative how Scientology professes to offer the practitioner more cause over life and increase his self determinism while at the same time insisting that the only way to achieve such results are to agree that the 'tech' of Scientology is the sole, unquestioned path to obtain it; further that 'all other attempts by man have failed' essentially because 'the evil psychs' have implanted the minds of all of mankind' with falsehoods intended to make him fail and decease.... which of course only the 'insurmountable LRon' was able to overcome and alas deliver us back to an everlasting, super power state of being.

This is a bait and switch technique which puts one under the mind control of Scientology, making one overlook the fact that he is deferring his immediate and potential worth as a subordinate to Hubbard and his Scientology.

Facing the complexities of life is a struggle. Relying on simple
answers from an outside source relieves one of this burden but it requires the relinquishment of independent thinking and personal control. Once an individual settles into the comfort of simplistic thinking, it quickly becomes habitual. It has long-term consequences for decisions about leaving the group: Members get used to thinking this way and the fear of living on one’s
own, where one must confront the complexities of survival, becomes a serious deterrent to leaving.

Levine, 2003, supra.

"This simplistic thinking is a common lure in cults, which often attract recruits by offering them simple answers to the complexities of life."

All of life's complexities can be boiled down too one word, SURVIVE.

And the best way too SURVIVE is to clear your MU's.

and empty your wallet.