What's new

[WTB] Cheap E meter

roz303

Hello everyone. I appreciate your input very, very much. Thank you!

You won't get anything worth using for $100. Someone who understood electronics could put together something useable for that in a cheap box using schematics I have posted at various times on the net.
I don't wander in here often due to the degree of negativity. I have a Facebook page about meters at https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndependentScientologyMeters/

Ralph Hilton... now where do I know that name from? OH YEAH! You posted schematics of E-Meters. I DO know a good deal about electronics -with that I know an E-Meter is nothing more than a fancy little whetstone bridge, and that your devices use a commonly available LM324 OP-AMP for most of the circuit. Love the simplicity, and I can't thank you enough for putting up such information!

That being said, do you know of any suitable voltmeters that costs less than $50? I tried mouser and digikey with no luck - unless I'm looking the wrong way. Also, what, in your opinion, would be suitable electrodes? I know of LRH speaking about soup cans - but I'm sure soup cans of the 50's and today's are rather different, don't you think?

So in all seriousness, I'm able to build my own meter if it's the most economical choice. The circuit is simple enough, and I have people to help me along the way.

If you could suggest a few meters that aren't too expensive along with electrode recommendations, that would be fantastic. Even better would be a compiled parts list and their sources... but I'm not holding my breath :)

Again, thanks!

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Hello everyone. I appreciate your input very, very much. Thank you!

Ralph Hilton... now where do I know that name from? OH YEAH! You posted schematics of E-Meters. I DO know a good deal about electronics -with that I know an E-Meter is nothing more than a fancy little whetstone bridge, and that your devices use a commonly available LM324 OP-AMP for most of the circuit. Love the simplicity, and I can't thank you enough for putting up such information!

That being said, do you know of any suitable voltmeters that costs less than $50? I tried mouser and digikey with no luck - unless I'm looking the wrong way. Also, what, in your opinion, would be suitable electrodes? I know of LRH speaking about soup cans - but I'm sure soup cans of the 50's and today's are rather different, don't you think?

So in all seriousness, I'm able to build my own meter if it's the most economical choice. The circuit is simple enough, and I have people to help me along the way.

If you could suggest a few meters that aren't too expensive along with electrode recommendations, that would be fantastic. Even better would be a compiled parts list and their sources... but I'm not holding my breath :)

Again, thanks!

I use LMC6062 chips now and an improved circuit. The needle movements I use are taut band 100 microamp with a 7cm needle. They have a resistance of 1000 ohms. I get the meter heads built to order for around $45 each and build the housing myself. Simpson movements seem to be good quality so it is probable that one of theirs would work.

One can make electrodes from sheet tin. I haven't come across suitable food cans for many years. I use http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s254.htm. I make these to shape the tin: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:140227

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Another alternative for electrodes:

https://icanspage.wordpress.com/2011/11/03/testing-new-meter-electrodes/

New-Electrodes-0-620x465.jpg

Paul

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I received some of those some time ago to test. Your post reminded me so I wired them up.
The reads seem fine when placed on the palms or fingertip but almost non-existant when placed on the backs of the hand.

Thanks for the report. I got as far as buying some when I first posted David's article but didn't get as far as opening the package and trying them.

As for sensitivity, does that correlate with density of nerve endings in different body parts? I know the fingertips and palms have a higher density than the back of the hands, but haven't ever done a detailed study of it.

Paul

Ralph Hilton

Patron Meritorious
Thanks for the report. I got as far as buying some when I first posted David's article but didn't get as far as opening the package and trying them.
As for sensitivity, does that correlate with density of nerve endings in different body parts? I know the fingertips and palms have a higher density than the back of the hands, but haven't ever done a detailed study of it.
Paul
What is called volar skin gives readings. Other skin doesn't or is minimal.
I did comparisons using 2 meter simultaneously and saw that fingertips give slightly faster reads than palms and that feet gave no read many times when fingertips did.