What's new

What is an ex scientologist?

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
So perhaps the question is, at what point does one become a $cientologist?

Most religions have some induction ceremony (baptism, vows etc.) at which point one becomes a member of that particular ~ism.

To make itself feel good, the "church" claims you're a member just for buying DMSMH but, as we well know, only a very small percentage of those make any further commitment to pursue $cn.

So what is the "baptism" into $cientology at which point one becomes a $cientologist?

As we have a group of self-named "exes", "nons", and "partials", perhaps defining that "baptismal" point will assist in understanding.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Well I am indeed very naïve because I had no idea that you had started this board for that reason.

So I apologize and will not post here any longer. I’ll keep my thoughts elsewhere.

My very best to all.

No need to apologise, just the same as no one here needs to apologise for having a different viewpoint to the next guy.

That's what this board is about - throw them all into the mix and let them talk (not yell) and see what happens.

This makes for an interesting board (most of the time).

Last edited:

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors
SRF,

The original question was posed because I was wondering what other people thought "ex scientologist" meant to them.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Other's have their own opinions. They are all different and I was curious.

I started the board because there needed to be an alternative to the hard line stance taken at OCMB. NOT that there is anything wrong with that stance, but it doesn't suit everybody.

This board won't be everyone's first choice, and some will hate it. That's ok with me. Some hate OCMB. It's a personal choice.

I figured that if this board wasn't needed, it wouldn't take off, but it was worth a risk. The numbers kinda show that it was needed and it is appreciated, although not by everyone.

To those who don't like it, think it's "weak" or some other evaluation, it's really quite simple - don't read it.

For me this board is a good choise. The board is started by a person that was actually involved with scientology in the past thus knowing the subject by own experience. That is a strong plus point. The board also has a soft approach which is another plus point, a powerful one actually.

Being soft as opposed to a hard line stance. A hard line stance is what many scientologists have experienced and they could very well be tired of that. A hard line stance is not as powerful as some might think, because it has a tendency to get you fixed instead of being mobile. Sometimes one can need a fixed point of state though to handle something, but certainly only sometimes.

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
So perhaps the question is, at what point does one become a $cientologist?

Most religions have some induction ceremony (baptism, vows etc.) at which point one becomes a member of that particular ~ism.

To make itself feel good, the "church" claims you're a member just for buying DMSMH but, as we well know, only a very small percentage of those make any further commitment to pursue $cn.

So what is the "baptism" into $cientology at which point one becomes a $cientologist?

As we have a group of self-named "exes", "nons", and "partials", perhaps defining that "baptismal" point will assist in understanding.

Could it be defined as when you sign the SO contract? I was 2 1/2 when I signed for the first time.

Soul of Ginnungagab

Patron with Honors
An ex-scientologist is a former scientologist. So simple is that. Yet it is obviously not that simple as we can see in this topic. One of the problems is that it seems to be not clear what a scientologist is and thus it is also not clear what an ex-scientologist is not.

Personally I prefer to take the viewpoint that a scientologist is a person that is a member of an official scientology organization, and an ex-scientologist is somebody that has been a member and is not anymore. That is a working approach.

Well, I know that there are those that still consider themselves scintologists even they are ex-members and don't agree with the official scientology organizations. They can actually refer to the tech dictionary to the definition that says that a scientologist is someone who betters the conditions for himself and the condition of others by using scientology technology. So if they are bettering conditions that way they could argue that you are being scientologists.

But as far as I know the term "scientologist" has been trademarked since that definition was created and thus refer to those that are members of an official scientology organization.

Thus I would say that the term "ex-scientologist" would refer to people that have been members of an official scientology organization and are not anymore. The term certainly says nothing about what the person is now, except from being a former scientologist, so I don't agree with those that try to define an ex-scientologist as someone who has certain opinions about scientology. That I would say is nonsense. An ex-scientologist can have lots of opinions or none, you simply wouldn't know until you have communicated with him/her.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well I am indeed very naïve because I had no idea that you had started this board for that reason.

So I apologize and will not post here any longer. I’ll keep my thoughts elsewhere.

My very best to all.

For what reason, exactly?

Emma started the board as a safe place for ANYONE to come and discuss Scientology. Not just ex members.

She wanted to set it up in such a way that if someone did still like Scn in any way, as a philosophy or whatnot, that they could come out and say it without being shouted down. Other than a couple very silly protestations about Terril's posting on a section of the board assigned to him, that has been and is definitely the case.

There are many people here who are critics and completely are ex Scn'ists, don't want the membership, don't want the "tech", any of it. This board is meant for them and they do very well here.

There are also a number of people here who never were in CofS, never did any Scn, and are critical of CofS AND of Scn. They, too, do very well here. They get a chance to comment according to their viewpoint and the board is a safe place for them, as well.

And, as I said, there are some who still have an interest in the subject, as personal creed etc. They, too, do just fine here.

Also, SRF, I'd like to point out that you seemed to be discussing the board and the purpose of the board, when, in fact, this thread is about what may or may constitute an ex SCIENTOLOGIST.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Could it be defined as when you sign the SO contract? I was 2 1/2 when I signed for the first time.

Again, it's a bit difficult to decide. How many of those contracts have been signed, but on which the signatory has never taken further action, or in fact, escaped at the first opportunity?

Emma,

Hopefully the hypocritical part has been answered.

>>> What is an ex scientologist?

>>> I have been wondering about this for a while.

The way I read the above was that you have been wondering what it is to be an ex-scientologist. I found the title odd, in that the board is titled ex-scientologist-message-board, and since you are the founder of the board, you’d question what it was that an ex-scientologists was. I was wondering, doesn’t the creator of this board know what an ex is? It was what intrigued me and what behooved me to read and eventually post in the first place. I saw a lot of nuance for answers but nothing concrete.

I had no idea that this board was created as a response to the clam site. I don’t read outside my thread over there, so in essence I am taking the face value here as I see it same as any new person.

I don’t think that is wrong, as I read what I read and responded accordingly.

True, an ex-con is thought of as a criminal… and most are, in fact because they know no different life. An ex-con is defined as no longer being in prison. I was just surprised that ex-scientologists were still scientologists.

So I posted.

You all do what you do, and I have no desire to change it. I put in my two-cents.

Just realize that in the real world, an ex is an ex. I approached the thread here form the real world.

There’s nothing wrong with me to be in the real world and from time to time poke my nose into an unreal world… in an attempt to remind folks that there is a real world.

I feel no guilt in doing this.

The Media should not be alerted, for there is no story here. The Media wouldn’t pay attention anyway. We are a very small number in the scheme of things.

-=-=-=-

So is it wrong to pull the string on scientology here? Apparently, yes it is. This is why I have bowed out. I have no interest in being a martyr or anyone’s target.

Please continue. Honestly, please do.

SRF

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Emma,

Hopefully the hypocritical part has been answered.

>>> What is an ex scientologist?

>>> I have been wondering about this for a while.

The way I read the above was that you have been wondering what it is to be an ex-scientologist. I found the title odd, in that the board is titled ex-scientologist-message-board, and since you are the founder of the board, you’d question what it was that an ex-scientologists was. I was wondering, doesn’t the creator of this board know what an ex is? It was what intrigued me and what behooved me to read and eventually post in the first place. I saw a lot of nuance for answers but nothing concrete.

Actually in the beginning I *wasn't* wondering what an ex scientologist was. I thought I knew. I had my own idea about it. But since starting the board it became apparent that my definition might not be the only one so I posed the question.

I had no idea that this board was created as a response to the clam site. I don’t read outside my thread over there, so in essence I am taking the face value here as I see it same as any new person.

It wasn't created as a response to OCMB. It was created because it was needed. We had a hard line take on OCMB that was virtually unmoderated, a totally spam ridden ars that is completely unmoderated, an over moderated Beliefnet and an IP address revealing-Tommy Gorman moderated FactNet. There needed to be another alternative. I'm not saying this is perfect, it's not, but it was the best I could come up with.

I don’t think that is wrong, as I read what I read and responded accordingly.

True, an ex-con is thought of as a criminal… and most are, in fact because they know no different life. An ex-con is defined as no longer being in prison. I was just surprised that ex-scientologists were still scientologists.

So I posted.

You all do what you do, and I have no desire to change it. I put in my two-cents.

Just realize that in the real world, an ex is an ex. I approached the thread here form the real world.

There’s nothing wrong with me to be in the real world and from time to time poke my nose into an unreal world… in an attempt to remind folks that there is a real world.

I feel no guilt in doing this.

The Media should not be alerted, for there is no story here. The Media wouldn’t pay attention anyway. We are a very small number in the scheme of things.

-=-=-=-

You are right. There is nothing wrong with you having an opinion & stating it here. There is really no agenda here. You will find agreement with your ideas and also disagreement.

So is it wrong to pull the string on scientology here? Apparently, yes it is. This is why I have bowed out. I have no interest in being a martyr or anyone’s target.

Please continue. Honestly, please do.

SRF

Wrong to "pull a string"? Hmmm...I don't think so. Where on earth did you get that idea?

As for being a martyr or target? Why would you think that? It's a message board. You will be challenged. Isn't that the point?

>>> Perhaps one should clear up the fact that "Ex" does not mean "Anti".

Then maybe it should read, “Not-In, But-Not-Out, But Maybe I’m-In, But Maybe-I’m-Out, But I Really-Don’t Know-If-I-Am-Either.’… Message Board.

“Ex”: Previous, former

“Ex”: Out, outside

Outside of scientology, there is a language and the terms do have meaning.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
>>> Perhaps one should clear up the fact that "Ex" does not mean "Anti".

Then maybe it should read, “Not-In, But-Not-Out, But Maybe I’m-In, But Maybe-I’m-Out, But I Really-Don’t Know-If-I-Am-Either.’… Message Board.

“Ex”: Previous, former

“Ex”: Out, outside

Outside of scientology, there is a language and the terms do have meaning.

I mean "Ex", as you would describe an Ex-wife or Ex-husband. You can still be great friends, which means you don't have to be "Anti-wife" or "Anti-husband", even if the majority are, there's still room for an "Ex-relationship" that has not decayed into Hate or "Anti".

I think you will find most people on this board are therefore "Ex-scientologist", and many of those are "Anti-policy", without being "Anti-tech".

I have an ex-girlfriend. I still love her, and I'm delighted for her that she has found someone else to marry her. Does that provide a real-world example of Ex vs Anti?

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I mean "Ex", as you would describe an Ex-wife or Ex-husband. You can still be great friends, which means you don't have to be "Anti-wife" or "Anti-husband", even if the majority are, there's still room for an "Ex-relationship" that has not decayed into Hate or "Anti".

I think you will find most people on this board are therefore "Ex-scientologist", and many of those are "Anti-policy", without being "Anti-tech".

I have an ex-girlfriend. I still love her, and I'm delighted for her that she has found someone else to marry her. Does that provide a real-world example of Ex vs Anti?

I know exactly what you mean.

I am friends with my ex husband (even if he is still a clam). I remained friends with most of my exes.

"Ex" doesn't have to mean "enemy of".

Maybe SRF is looking for the "Anti Scientology Message Board" for those who only want to chat with people who share exactly the same opinion as each other.

>>> Maybe SRF is looking for the "Anti Scientology Message Board" for those who only want to chat with people who share exactly the same opinion as each other.

Now Emma, you know full well that such a place does not exist, and it is presumptuous of you to imply what I may be looking for. It really is.

I don’t need a message board to teach me what “ex” means. Does anyone here speak English? If, as it is said, there is a tolerant welcoming of diverse views here, then why have I been ridiculed in a New-York-Second, for stating what an ex-scientologists is?

Clue: I don’t agree with you. That’s why.

>>> I think you will find most people on this board are therefore "Ex-scientologist", and many of those are "Anti-policy", without being "Anti-tech".

Exactly! And because I am anti “the-scam”, and have stated clearly what an ex-scientologists is, I am therefore not with you and therefore not in your clique… therefore you give me energy with the hypocritical “we are a diverse crowd”.

Get it?

An Ex-Scientologist has re-embraced existence and has learned and has grown and has not checked message-boards for approval. An ex has moved on and has pulled the string. An ex is Anti… in a big way. Very Anti.

Anti-You? NO! Do what you do. Play what you play. Heal as you heal and peal the onion as it comes off.

Don’t give me this crap that there is a diverse group of thinkers, here, though. Not one post has been tolerant of MY view. Not one. All I said was what an ex is, in accordance with the title of the board. Ex-scientologist-message-board.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Don’t give me this crap that there is a diverse group of thinkers, here, though. Not one post has been tolerant of MY view. Not one. All I said was what an ex is, in accordance with the title of the board. Ex-scientologist-message-board.

I don't know who you are, or, what you think makes somebody 'anti'.

The board name is 'Ex-Scientologist Message Board'. It doesn't matter whether it's a misnomer. It's just a name.

There are people here who still consider themselves Scientologists. They're welcome here. There are people who dont' like the term 'Ex' Scientologist. It doesn't matter. it's the name of the board. There are even people here who still consider themselves 'in good standing' with the 'Church'. Few. Probably a decent sprinkling of OSA too.

It's not a club or a political party and there are no bylaws, except for some minimal rules about politeness.

This is a discussion group, not a bunch of activists involved in a 'movement' or 'war'.

And, there are people who discuss here who have done a hell of a lot more to oppose and expose the 'Church' of Scientology than you have, probably, since I have no idea what you've done or think you've done.

Except shoot your mouth off and whine about hurt feelings.

If you want to come into a forum and tell everyone what to think; don't be surprised if you're not taken very seriously.

Zinj

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I think any opposition you may have met with has more to do with your attitude rather than your opinions or viewpoint.

It's kinda arrogant to arrive on a message board you've barely read and tell the members that they are all wrong.

Even if that's not what you meant to do, that's how it came off.

It looks like you are saying this: "You aren't real exes, this board is misnamed, you are all stuck, all seeking approval etc".

It's fine to have these opinions, but to come here all guns blazing, with a haughty attitude....well it doesn't rub people the right way.

If it's any consolation to you, I originally had a similar idea to you about what an ex really is. But mingling & mixing with others has broadened my thoughts on it rather than narrowed it.

I agree that unless an "ex" is working on rebuilding their life, they will remain stuck in the losses, but it doesn't mean they can never talk about it, never share their experiences or never be around to support others on their journey "out".

nexus100

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think any opposition you may have met with has more to do with your attitude rather than your opinions or viewpoint.

It's kinda arrogant to arrive on a message board you've barely read and tell the members that they are all wrong.

Even if that's not what you meant to do, that's how it came off.

It looks like you are saying this: "You aren't real exes, this board is misnamed, you are all stuck, all seeking approval etc".

It's fine to have these opinions, but to come here all guns blazing, with a haughty attitude....well it doesn't rub people the right way.

If it's any consolation to you, I originally had a similar idea to you about what an ex really is. But mingling & mixing with others has broadened my thoughts on it rather than narrowed it.

I agree that unless an "ex" is working on rebuilding their life, they will remain stuck in the losses, but it doesn't mean they can never talk about it, never share their experiences or never be around to support others on their journey "out".

My God you are patient.

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
My God you are patient.

That is hilarious! In real life I'm the most impatient bitch to ever have drawn a breath.

I think SRF has some valid points to make, but has a habit of raising tempers in the way he/she does it.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Oooooooooooooow! I thought you (SRF) had left the board....now your having a temper tantrum......poor baby! :bigcry:

Watch out - they are coming to get you :spacecraft:

..............................................................SRF.........................