What's new

Hello from a Non-Scientologist. . .

pollywog

Patron with Honors
Hello to all. Firstof all, I am not a scientologist, or an ex-scientologist. Frankly, I’ve been a “lurker” and“researcher” of Scientology for a while – well, for 5 or 6 years, anyway. And, though I have always been interested in joining the conversation, I was never (and am still not) sure of ex-members’ tolerance for contributions by those who have never experienced Scientology in any way.

Me, I consider myself a spiritual person, though not a religious one. And I aim to be tolerant of the beliefs of others, but I admit I am less tolerant of any religious “institution.” I think your “spirit” (just a word) or your “soul” (just another word) or “little “g” god” (just a concept) is innately personal and the journey to find it is equally personal. Search. Don’t join a group. Search. (Words are very limiting, aren’t they?)

Okay, so I stumbled across a copy of “Dianetics” at a garage sale when I was in my teens. I bought it. I read a page and a half (voracious reader still to this day!), and said, “phew - nuff.” End of my personal brush with Scientology (wait, I might have been baited to take a personality test at the California State Fair once, and might have done it, or started to, but balked at the 200 or so questions – more interested in cotton candy, I’m sure).

The reason for my post: I find that many ex-scientologists still use the rather self-limiting scientology vernacular in your conversations with one another. Wait – before you get upset with me – let me explain. I know this message board is for “EX-SCIENTOLOGISTS.” So I get it that you are discussing your experiences in the terms specific to the cult. And perhaps there are no “real” equivalent terms (odd and rather telling, that, yes?). And I certainly understand that those newly out of the cult can perhaps only speak in that language and of a necessity have to parse their experiences in terms they understand.

I find myself trying to find a similar in my life. Where is it that I use “jargon” or “…ese”with others “similarly situated.” I cannot. Closest I can come is in my work (legal) where we FOR SURE use random terms of art and abbreviations when discussing or writing about things legal. Is that the same? Maybe. But I digress.

However, may I humbly say that some of your best allies may be those of us who have never been involved in the cult and who can see the psychiatric (yeah, I know), financial, spiritual, familial and myriad other harm caused by this organization’s policies and practices – both overt and covert.

Is there a “wog” board where things are discussed in a less esoteric fashion? Really, some of us would like to help.

I know some of you still adhere to, in your terms, the “tech.” Is it possible that, without the distinct language, you might see that it is either strikingly similar to many other (words failing me now) “methods” for spiritual or personal growth – or just utter bullshit? Please allow yourselves to think in non-cult language.

Thanks – I’ve gone on long enough. In short, I really am not trying to criticize. I would like to help. I would like to get to know some of you. But, I admit – as a “wog,” I feel a little excluded by your “exclusivity.”

Best regards and intentions, Pollywog

Last edited:

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Hi Pollywog! :happydance:

Welcome to ESMB

:welcome:

There have been a number of people on the board who have made great contributions. Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable. :yes:

:gathering:

Div6

Crusader
Greets Polywog, and welcome to ESMB. We love to hear from most anyone, so no, you are not intruding at all.

My first thought to your main question was WWP

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/

That is an "Anon" board, mostly "never been ins", but some exe's as well. It tends to be lighter on the Scn vernacular, but does tend to blend in "Anon" idioms and memes instead.

Yes, Scientology has its own language. At times it reminds me of victorian England criminal slang (http://www.victorianlondon.org/words/criminal.htm), in that it can act as a screen as to real meaning, if one doesn;t know the lingo. There are several threads here (Grundy's Guide to Scientology, for example) that attempt to define some terms, which you can look up if you are so inclined. Otherwise, if there is a particular phrase or post you would like some help with, feel free to ask in that thread.

Speaking for myself, I would be fascinated to hear your take on all of this. I find that viewpoints "outside the box" can be quite enlightening some times.

Again, Welcome.

pollywog

Patron with Honors
You are most gracious, kind sir/madam! Perhaps I will, from time to time. Thank you! I would really like to help in any way I can.

pollywog

Patron with Honors
Quote: "Speaking for myself, I would be fascinated to hear your take on all of this. I find that viewpoints "outside the box" can be quite enlightening some times."

Thank you for the links to the idioms and lingo - I am, surprisingly, adept, because as I say, I have read much these past years. Alas, however, many of the posts here (particularly the ones I know I should find are hilarious), are a little beyond my ken. Guess you had to be there.

My take? Hmm. Pretty easy to sum up. Good people search for meaning, bad people glom on. But, honestly, I know it's not that simple. I think where I become truly outraged is when I read the stories of the young people - now young adults - who've been raised in this environment. They knew nothing else. They've never been given the opportunity to know the world - all of us. They don't know they can question everything they're ever told (and that they should!). They don't know they can doubt. It's okay to doubt. My heart hurts for them.

I look forward to more opportunities for discussion.

Polly

pollywog

Patron with Honors
Oh, and one more thing: if Ulduz really had to go to Azerbaijan for the next 9 months, my "lurking" over this last couple of weeks just got less interesting. Poster boy for "wacky cult" freakishness. (Insensitive?) :nervous:

Div6

Crusader
Quote: "Speaking for myself, I would be fascinated to hear your take on all of this. I find that viewpoints "outside the box" can be quite enlightening some times."

Thank you for the links to the idioms and lingo - I am, surprisingly, adept, because as I say, I have read much these past years. Alas, however, many of the posts here (particularly the ones I know I should find are hilarious), are a little beyond my ken. Guess you had to be there.

My take? Hmm. Pretty easy to sum up. Good people search for meaning, bad people glom on. But, honestly, I know it's not that simple. I think where I become truly outraged is when I read the stories of the young people - now young adults - who've been raised in this environment. They knew nothing else. They've never been given the opportunity to know the world - all of us. They don't know they can question everything they're ever told (and that they should!). They don't know they can doubt. It's okay to doubt. My heart hurts for them.

I look forward to more opportunities for discussion.

Polly

I understand. I was a "kool aid drinker" for a number of years...heard no evil, saw no evil, spoke no evil. The reason for that was simple..."Scientology worked", in that certain experiences, for me, led to awarenesses that simply were "beyond description". I became a vocal critic when I saw the "authoritarianism" rise to a fanatical level, and the results dwindle to the point where people were actively being harmed, hurt, suppressed and\or killed.

ESMB has been, and remains a forum for those who, for whatever reason, were unable or unwilling to tell their story. Bea Kiddo's story (downloadable at http://www.paulsrabbit.com) for example, is a case in point. She grew up in the Sea Org, tried her best to do various jobs, and suffered immensely from the fraud and abuse.
As her story came out, others found their voice and began posting as well. The net effect of this has led to a mass exodus from the "church", and with the use of modern communication technology (internet, mostly) engendered a number of communities....ex'es, Independants, Anons, etc. In response, the official organization has become more closed off, more authoritarian, and more broadly dis-liked than ever before. As Janet Reitman said in a recent interview (http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/06/janet_reitman_a.php)
"I think they are going to have to change or die."

Most here aim to have that "death" impact negatively as few good people as possible.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
There have been a number of interesting posts about Sci speak, pro's and con's. You may need to do some digging though, they are probably scattered in unrelated threads.

As mentioned already, WWP would be your best bet at a wog board.

I don't think anyone who has never been inside the cult should dictate to those who have, what they should or shouldn't say. It's not our journey out.

pollywog

Patron with Honors
There have been a number of interesting posts about Sci speak, pro's and con's. You may need to do some digging though, they are probably scattered in unrelated threads.

As mentioned already, WWP would be your best bet at a wog board.

I don't think anyone who has never been inside the cult should dictate to those who have, what they should or shouldn't say. It's not our journey out.

So sorry - truly not trying to dictate. Maybe trying to relate, and perhaps, as I thought, I cannot. No harm intended.

guanoloco

As-Wased
Hi, pollywog,

Glad to see you here!

Here's your first assignment that you have to translate:

Chef Boyardee just comped his HRD after doing his SCN DRD and routed onto his FPRD per the tip from his CCRD.

Now if you make sense from that drivel you'll have wasted more time with Scn than is prudent!

Welcome!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
G'day Pollywog, nice to see you.

The jargon used is a sign of the tremendous hold the 'tech' has on scientology members. You will find those who are truly out tend not to use it, or put quote marks around jargon words.

Those who are newly out honestly don't know how else to communicate the concepts they discuss, or haven't yet taken the vital step of finding the normal English equivalents. IMO it's one of the vital steps to understanding where they are now and what happened to them. Some say it can't be done, yet if one sits down and writes out the meaning of a scientology word it is a fascinating experience and often shows the circular logic and thought stopping mechanisms scio employs.

It is like a second language, or actually an alternative language. Only those who understand it are 'part of the group' so to speak and it adds to the feeling of exclusivity. It's also rather hard to give up those shortcut words and takes a deliberate effort.

As this board has members from all stages of leaving, it is a great mix. I think the opinions and discussion from those who were never it is very valuable and the more normal English is used, the better. :)

(ps when I use the word "scio" it is just an abbreviation. I remember one scientologist who was outraged at it's use. :biggrin:)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
You are most gracious, kind sir/madam! Perhaps I will, from time to time. Thank you! I would really like to help in any way I can.

You're very welcome Polly. :yes:
If you need any help translating the Scientologese then just ask. :yes:

Larry

Pollywog, there are those who believe in the jargon of the cult. They believe it represents real concepts and they believe the jargon is an accurate way to convey meaning. (I am not one of them). Sometimes newly-outs take time to accept that that "normal" English is available for some of their jargon words and sometimes it takes time to adjust back to normal English -for those that want to do so.
IMO it is best for people to drop cult-speak so as to drop cult think. As far as I can assess, the majority of people here are of a similar opinion, but obviously not everyone, as some are still various species of "scientologist".

Those that want to completely drop cult speak still need to use cult acronyms for things like job titles, the names of buildings, etc, for example; "CO FOLO ANZO ".
(Commanding Officer, Flag Organization Liasion Office Australia/Oceania -I think that's right!!!)

There are no simple English substitutes for these, but when they are used a lot in a text, they can make it a bit difficult to follow.

Some of the terms used as so -called "spiritual" concepts are also used by people who reject cult speak and yet must use the terms when there is no English word available. For example, "OT" and all it's collocations. People refer to specific "OT levels" and other "levels" on the "grade chart",etc. The words often have to be used even when the purpose is to debunk those very concepts.

I think a lot of the use scientology jargon that you see here is actually a constant discussion which is to de-construct the manufactured jargon and concepts (BS) it supposedly represents. Many, (probably most) people here want to stop applying cult concepts to themselves and others, and have succeeded. I think that your impression of exclusivity is mistaken. Scientology itself is exclusive by creating it's own jargon. People here mostly criticising the jargon and the way it manipulates the thinking patterns of its victims.

Clarence Rockaway

Patron with Honors
So sorry - truly not trying to dictate. Maybe trying to relate, and perhaps, as I thought, I cannot. No harm intended.
Welcome to the ESMB. You needn't feel like an outsider. Apologizing for never having been a Scientologist is like a contestant in the Miss Universe contest walking down the runway in a bikini and afterwards apologizing for not having stretch marks. :wave:

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
G'day Pollywog, nice to see you.

The jargon used is a sign of the tremendous hold the 'tech' has on scientology members. You will find those who are truly out tend not to use it, or put quote marks around jargon words.

Those who are newly out honestly don't know how else to communicate the concepts they discuss, or haven't yet taken the vital step of finding the normal English equivalents. IMO it's one of the vital steps to understanding where they are now and what happened to them. Some say it can't be done, yet if one sits down and writes out the meaning of a scientology word it is a fascinating experience and often shows the circular logic and thought stopping mechanisms scio employs.

It is like a second language, or actually an alternative language. Only those who understand it are 'part of the group' so to speak and it adds to the feeling of exclusivity. It's also rather hard to give up those shortcut words and takes a deliberate effort.

As this board has members from all stages of leaving, it is a great mix. I think the opinions and discussion from those who were never it is very valuable and the more normal English is used, the better. :)

(ps when I use the word "scio" it is just an abbreviation. I remember one scientologist who was outraged at it's use. :biggrin:)

Hi Pollywog and welcome to the Board. There are a number of non-ex-scientologists on the board who are part of the community so you are by no means alone.

Free To Shine and others put it well -- the scn language and culture are intertwined, one produces and reinforces the other. As an old ex (I left in 1982) one of the first things I did was to stop using scientologese. It was a matter of will and wasn't always easy (kind of like trying not to cuss). Any exclusive group has its own jargon -- universities and public bureaucracies, for instance, are merciless about acronyms, ie they use them mercilessly, and it's mostly incomprehensible.

Talk away, Pollywog, we'd like to hear what you think.

PD

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
Yo, this is from another never-in: :welcome: Pollywog!

Welcome to the ESMB. You needn't feel like an outsider. Apologizing for never having been a Scientologist is like a contestant in the Miss Universe contest walking down the runway in a bikini and afterwards apologizing for not having stretch marks. :wave:

:lol: Very funny analogy, Reuben.

clamicide

Gold Meritorious Patron
Welcome Pollywog. I've seen both things be true, those who have never been in who either couldn't, or didn't try to understand that were just a total PITA IMHO. I've also met others who were just fricking amazing and awesome. It all depends.

As far as the jargon, it's usually advised for people leaving cults to stop using it. It was quite an effort on my part and took some time. The Scientology terms are very often thought-stopping mechanisms (Robert Lifton has great stuff to say on that point). There are still rare times where I'll catch myself. Or, I'll use a word that Scientology co-opted, and I'll pause, and realize I did use it in the original English meaning, but it feels weird. Now that I've been out for quite a period of time, I don't mind using it on the board when it explains something that we all understood it to have meant. I don't use it really conversationally (as in I will say someone pissed me off, vs. I "had an ARC break". I don't really think that way anymore.

What's oddly amusing to me is that I think a lot of folks who are in the cult, really think they are more doubly-fluent than they think they are. I worked for a Scientology company, was having a torrid little fling with a co-worker at the 'wog' company I was placed (we delivered services in other companies) and two of my co-workers came in and gave a presentation. I didn't see it, but the guy I was with came back to me afterwards and was laughing and said..."so, is everybody at your company a Scientologist?" It wasn't overboard, but there were a couple words (I think they used 'cycle' like Scios do) and he had it pegged immediately. Since I've been out, I've also run into people who say stuff that tells me almost immediately that if they aren't a cultie, they either were or were expose to it in some fashion. I was watching Mackenzie Phillips a couple of weeks ago, and I went WTF? From what she said, and what she's doing, I highly doubt she's "in", but after googling, found her Sis was in and she'd been to Narconon. It just sort of really sinks into your way of thinking.

Miss Pert

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm a little late here Pollywog. I'm not here to welcome you, it's a bit late for that, but am glad you're here, I'm really here to say how absolutely beautiful your little frog is. I noticed it in another thread I was reading and didn't want to derail the thread but still wanted to let you know.

Makes me all :biglove: :love8: :bighug: