What's new

A new look at purification.

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
One step at a time. Here is a study that shows detox methods reduce dioxins into Fetus

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045653505004959

This shows that Dioxins are prevalent, dangerous and detox helps.
Now despite that many URLs comment how medical science considers detox bogus activity, other practitioners are actually doing it.

So first establish that detox is bogus. Then we can look at the purif.

You are trying to combine things that are not inherently related. The appropriate treatment for some forms of acute heavy metal poisoning involves the introduction of compounds that bind to to heavy metals.

This is arguably a form of detoxification. However, the substances involved are not harmless, particularly if there is no heavy metal for them to bind with.

It stands to reason that other compounds might have similar properties for other toxins.

This does not somehow translate into a validation of "detoxification" as advocated by the purification rundown or various olive oil and green tea diets.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
Ah, yes. Good old Chlorella pyrenoidosa.

It was to have been the miracle food that would feed the world, but the protein-rich algae turned out to taste vile. To make it palatable would make it too expensive to produce, in terms of feeding the hungry.

So you know what they did?

They marketed it as a 'health food' ... and as an animal feed.

Enjoy yourselves, paying top dollar for foul-tasting animal feed, suckers. (It must be doing you good, if it tastes that bad, right?)

Probably safer than the purif rundown, though.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
One step at a time. Here is a study that shows detox methods reduce dioxins into Fetus
<snip>

Was it really news to you that WHATEVER is in the body of the mother TRANSFERS to the fetus?

And, Ye Gods, are you an advocate of pregnant women doing the purif?

Of the whole of $cn of all the bad stuff the purif may come in second only to the Introspection RD.

Well, if you count R2-45, call the purif #3 worst.

The purif is one of most the dangerous products of a seriously deranged madman.

Hey, I have a success story of the purif : I survived !

Maybe it was because the unsupervised kids playing tag constantly running in and out so the door was open a lot helped me ? ( Temp never got over 100 during these times ).

Or maybe the 2 girls comparing grocery shopping lists kept my mind occupied. ( well, with XDN thoughts! ).

Or maybe it was the handful of pills I flushed most everyday ?

Boy Howdy I must have come up with a whopper of a cog & success story to end that ordeal !

Anybody else care to share their " wins " of dodging that insanity ?

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
You need to read 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre. US$10.03 from amazon, or do it on the cheap by visiting his website.

Example, on the subject of 'detox', taken from his newspaper column.
Rusty results

Ben Goldacre
Thursday September 2, 2004
The Guardian

Time for a Johnny Ball kitchen science experiment, I think. I could have told you from the start that “Aqua Detox” was a scam, and a popular one at that. Why? Because it is claimed to extract “toxins” from your body through the “2,000 pores in your feet” discovered by those ancient Chinese scientists. And because it’s so charmingly theatrical: you put your feet in a water bath, containing “natural organic salts”, with an electrical current that “resonates” with your “bio-energetic field” passing across it, and the water goes first tea-coloured, and then properly brown, with a sludge on top. You think I’m making this up, but it’s been in the Daily Telegraph, and innumerable other places. So it must be true. And this brown, the Aqua Detox people proudly tell you, is from the toxins coming out of your body.

Thinking back to GCSE chemistry, it seemed likely to me that it was rust rather than toxins, since they have, after all, got a pair of metal electrodes in a salt water bath with a current passing across them. And so we set up, on a kitchen table, a bowl containing salt and water, with two metal nails attached to a car battery. And what do you know: our water goes brown too, with a nice sludge on top. Could this be the same brown as the Aqua Detox water?

Bravely I sent along my friend Dr Mark Atkins to have himself Aqua Detoxed. He took water samples from the bowl, which we sent off to the Medical Toxicology Unit at New Cross, south-east London. You can only imagine our excitement, especially as they charged us £200 for the analysis. And so – triumphant music – the water taken out before they switched their Aqua Detox machine on contained only 0.54mg per litre of iron (probably from the metal spoon); but afterwards it contained … 23.6mg/l. Our water, from our kitchen table setup, contained 97mg/l (and it was a bit browner).

But did it extract toxins? “Toxin” is classic pseudoscience terminology. Essentially, the Aqua Detox people are offering dialysis, through your feet. Urea and creatinine are probably the smallest molecules – call them “toxins” if you like – that your body gets rid of, in places like urine and sweat: if “toxins” were going to come out, anywhere, you’d expect those to come out, too. There was no urea or creatinine in the water before the Aqua Detox, and there was none in the water afterwards. Which means, I believe, that we win.
Sometimes I think it's too bad Ben Goldacre wasn't around in the days of L Ron Hubbard, because that fat old fraud might have been exposed a lot earlier... then I remember that some people are still putting their faith in Cal-Mag, etc.
:duh:

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
You need to read 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre. US$10.03 from amazon, or do it on the cheap by visiting his website.

Sometimes I think it's too bad Ben Goldacre wasn't around in the days of L Ron Hubbard, because that fat old fraud might have been exposed a lot earlier... then I remember that some people are still putting their faith in Cal-Mag, etc.

Are you kidding? Scientology was running the "LOOK - ITS PURPLE!!!111!!!" short con until a few years ago. Just ask Tom Cruise.

G

Gottabrain

Good link & article. :thumbsup:

Reminds me of the body wraps women do with oil and hot towels to lose inches. Oh it works alright, but losing all that water makes one a bit dehydrated and woozy, and the inches do, of course, come back once you re-hydrate.

Great for fitting into a smaller size in a short period of time (fashion before comfort and all of that) but all the herbs or whatever is mixed with the oil doesn't have any detox effect.

On the other stuff, I seem to recall that chemicals that form a compound with a metal to draw it out of the body have some very harsh side-effects and that is why they are only used when someone actually has been tested as having some sort of metal poisoning. Anyone have more info?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Reminds me of the body wraps women do with oil and hot towels to lose inches. Oh it works alright, but losing all that water makes one a bit dehydrated and woozy, and the inches do, of course, come back once you re-hydrate.

Oh yes. Body wraps. Another miraculous cure from the wonderful world of Scientology.

http://www.suddenlyslender.com/

This company is owned by Victoria Morton, a Scientologist. She was actually in the SO for a little while at AOLA back in the 80s.

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
Coriander is a good way to clean the body. Parsley also has been used for long time to clean the blood.

I have found if I eat a lot of coriander I can get quite spotty, it just means that toxins are being ejected. Middle eastern and Asian people who do eat a lot of the stuff usually have very clear skin. They also have huge brown eyes and long eye lashes, but that's a different story.

This is wonderful stuff, I would use only a fraction of the chillies he uses though. That much chilli would have a similar effect to a bottle of niacin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4s6unRatQ&feature=related

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Ah, yes. Good old Chlorella pyrenoidosa.

It was to have been the miracle food that would feed the world, but the protein-rich algae turned out to taste vile. To make it palatable would make it too expensive to produce, in terms of feeding the hungry.

So you know what they did?

They marketed it as a 'health food' ... and as an animal feed.

Enjoy yourselves, paying top dollar for foul-tasting animal feed, suckers. (It must be doing you good, if it tastes that bad, right?)

Probably safer than the purif rundown, though.

Is the stuff that Scientologists were selling around 1990? The vitamins were fine but sdomethign I had to take before the vitamins and I can't remember the exact ingredients but it might have had to do with algae, I wish I did not take it. Either it set my digetive tract on a faster speed or it just did not combine well with the caffeine in my coffee. Hard to say.

Had cramps like a sonnuva bee for months and it wasn't until a doctor figured out that my system was squeezing and giving me cramps and put me on Psyllium Husk Fiber. I always thought Psyllium Husk Fiber was for when you were crapping not enough and things were getting slow and stuck. Looks lke the regulatory rules of Psyllium Fiber was an elixir that made my life most excellent.

I always wondered if that plankton or algae or whatever it was started that ball of wax.

Rd00

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
Is the stuff that Scientologists were selling around 1990? The vitamins were fine but sdomethign I had to take before the vitamins and I can't remember the exact ingredients but it might have had to do with algae, I wish I did not take it. Either it set my digetive tract on a faster speed or it just did not combine well with the caffeine in my coffee. Hard to say.

Had cramps like a sonnuva bee for months and it wasn't until a doctor figured out that my system was squeezing and giving me cramps and put me on Psyllium Husk Fiber. I always thought Psyllium Husk Fiber was for when you were crapping not enough and things were getting slow and stuck. Looks lke the regulatory rules of Psyllium Fiber was an elixir that made my life most excellent.

I always wondered if that plankton or algae or whatever it was started that ball of wax.

Rd00

A doctor put you on Psyllium Husk Fiber . . . seriously? A witch doctor, right?

Terril park

Sponsor
Good link & article. :thumbsup:

Great for fitting into a smaller size in a short period of time (fashion before comfort and all of that) but all the herbs or whatever is mixed with the oil doesn't have any detox effect.

On the other stuff, I seem to recall that chemicals that form a compound with a metal to draw it out of the body have some very harsh side-effects and that is why they are only used when someone actually has been tested as having some sort of metal poisoning. Anyone have more info?

I probably linked to similar data in my OP.

EDTA [ FDA approved]can cause kidney failure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation_therapy

" There is a low occurrence of side effects when chelation is used at the dose and infusion rates approved by the U.S. FDA as a treatment for heavy metal poisoning[citation needed]. A burning sensation at the site of delivery into the vein is common. Other side effects include fever, headache, nausea, stomach upset, vomiting, convulsions, bone marrow depression, hypotension, cardiac arrhythmias, respiratory arrest, and hypocalcemia. Other concerns include kidney failure, which can require permanent life-limiting and expensive dialysis, or cause death.[citation needed][17]

2007 research with lab rats indicates giving chelating agent DMSA to rats without high levels of lead may cause lasting cognitive damage.[34]

When EDTA is not administered by a health professional for the treatment of heavy metal poisoning more serious side effects can occur."

DMSA [FDA approved] is apparently safer.

http://www.dmsa-chelation.info/

The very powerful fat and water soluble antioxident Alpha
Lipoic Acid is used medically to help these processes. it is also a chelating agent so any heavy metals let loose into the body can be handled better
with this addition.

Not sure if glutathione is used medically but it is the bodies main
chelating defence.

http://www.toxic-metal-chelation.com/chelation-glutathione.html

Chlorella seems to be a comparatively mild chelator. Whether it can
handle serious metal poisoning I don't know. But it seems excellent as a detox agent. In fact one has to be careful of its source as it has such affinity for toxins that it can absorb them easily during production. I havn't
done a purif for at least two decades so I'll be trying this one.

Terril park

Sponsor
Coriander is a good way to clean the body. Parsley also has been used for long time to clean the blood.

I have found if I eat a lot of coriander I can get quite spotty, it just means that toxins are being ejected. Middle eastern and Asian people who do eat a lot of the stuff usually have very clear skin. They also have huge brown eyes and long eye lashes, but that's a different story.

This is wonderful stuff, I would use only a fraction of the chillies he uses though. That much chilli would have a similar effect to a bottle of niacin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4s6unRatQ&feature=related

Coriander is also a chelating agent for heavy metals. More details in OP.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Question: why would purification of the body be a necessary thing for all cases?

Personally, I enjoyed my purif (I'm an extremist), but I never did figure out why they thought it would help my "case". Now, a DRD, that I could understand, but I wasn't having any troubles caused by flashbacks or anything like that, and I was about as physically healthy a human as you could find, back then.

As for modern purification methods, I'll stick with a glass of water and the occasional tennis or yoga. The rest is pseudo-science, IMO, unless you're doing some sort of analysis to show pre and post changes in levels of metals or whatever it is that you think you're getting out of your body.

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
A doctor put you on Psyllium Husk Fiber . . . seriously? A witch doctor, right?

Based on your quip I am going to take a wild guess and conjecture that you do not know what Psyllium Husk Fiber is.

Wow I had to edit the post. The transcriptionist wrote quirp instead of quip and that is really undignified.

Rd00

Last edited:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Well, I know I'm probably going to regret having said this but... I also did the Purif twice; once when it was first released (in '78 or whenever it was) and again after OT5 in '89 (as a hedge against Flag Arbitraries before I went to Flag for OT6) and I have to say that I actually enjoyed doing it both times!

I also, of course, did the LSD sweat-out program for a year or so before the Purif was released and, funnily enough, enjoyed doing that too. As a matter of fact, whilst doing the LSD Sweatout Pgm, I wrote to Snr C/S Int asking if anyone had considered or explored the idea of using a Sauna to encourage the "sweating out". I may have caused the whole thing, lol. :biggrin:

I must be kinda weird to have enjoyed doing it both times and most here would probably think I'm even weirder to still be convinced that I somehow benefited personally from doing it. It is kinda weird, I know.

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Well, I know I'm probably going to regret having said this but... I also did the Purif twice; once when it was first released (in '78 or whenever it was) and again after OT5 in '89 (as a hedge against Flag Arbitraries before I went to Flag for OT6) and I have to say that I actually enjoyed doing it both times!

I don't see anything wrong with that. I recall Jeff Hawkins talking about having to do it a few times at Int Base and in that context it was a nice break. :)

So long as you are healthy it is probably harmless and possibly enjoyable for some people.

However, that is pretty far from saying that it does what it is supposed to do.