What's new

Anyone recover your old personal interest or hobbies?

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron
After being in scn for a while, all my personal interests in art, music, etc. were slowly eroded and invalidated by the org as other fish, "bowling" chasing butterflies, etc.

Anyone know of ways to get it back? It seems that the Art course did me more harm than good. I got into so much self-coaching that I completely stopped all my of my drawing and painting.

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
You could use an idea from "study tech"... ie go back to when you were doing good. This would be before you started Scn.

Just mentally remember what it felt like to draw and paint BEFORE you got Hubbard in your head.

You might try some REAL "false data stripping." Maybe check out some forums on the web of other artists. Look for what they feel, see or what they do to get the results they want.

What I have found is the further away I get from a Scn. world view the more me I become.

I remember when I thought an audition session really opened my ability to play guitar. But it didn't really. What happened was very similar to when people take drugs to become "more creative."

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
The same thing happened to me -- I lost the ability to feel joy in just living life. I had abandoned my interests when I was a Scientologist and had decided that they were worthless activities that would do nothing for my future freedom and I found it very hard to undo that "postulate". . . .many activities just seemed empty after I lost my dream of being a superbeing and helping to create a planet of superbeings.

I found that now I am a different person than I was. I don't jump into things with full enthusiasm and energy any more, probably never will do that again -- the radar is up now looking for red flags, not quite trusting. I don't "join a cause" any more and bond with people over our common goal like I used to. I think it was really hard to give so much of myself and my money and my trust and have it be for nothing . . . haven't completely digested that bitter pill yet.

What I have found, though is that I have taken up new hobbies and gotten a lot of joy out of them. . . and when I wasn't looking, some of my old ones crept in there too. . .it grew slowly but it did happen.

Don't give up.

-TL

otgirl8

Patron
Wow, Tiger Lily

That exactly what happened to me! I didn't quite realize it til I read your post. My 2-d had the sme thing happen to him.
Thankyou for sharing that- I want us- you me and others to be healed!
And Joyful! :bigcry:

First of all, stop using Scientology to get rid of Scientology.

Forget the concept of "self-coaching." That's Scientology.

Forget about Study Tech. You knew how to have interest in those subjects before you were in Scientology, so drop ideas like "Study Tech" and "False Data Stripping" etc.

They are all traps designed to indotrinate.

So long as you talk like a Scientologists using Scientology concepts you will think like a Scientologist.

Just abandon Scientology completely and you will be the person you once were. Hopefully, a little wiser, too.

The Anabaptist Jacques

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I never lost mine, but I wasn't in that long. I still do it all. Scientology, for me, was not mind or spirit destroying, just family-destroying, that's all.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
One possible method ...

After being in scn for a while, all my personal interests in art, music, etc. were slowly eroded and invalidated by the org as other fish, "bowling" chasing butterflies, etc.

Anyone know of ways to get it back? It seems that the Art course did me more harm than good. I got into so much self-coaching that I completely stopped all my of my drawing and painting.

One possible way of making a clean break to re-establish yourself ... not sure how long you were out, but this works regardless ... go on what I call a "Gym Jihad" ... wage a holy war against fat, flabbiness, lack of muscle tone, lack of stamina, etc. For me a "Gym Jihad" lasts 3 months, after which I have to take a break for a week. The idea is to drop all of your bad habits, start eating right, do all of the special high-end suppliments that boost performance, and really push the hell out of yourself as hard as possible, short of injury or overtraining. If you have done all the weights you possibly can, do more cardio, swim, or add a 5 mile hike every day. After the 90 day period you should find that you have made some very real changes in your level of fitness, have more energy, feel stronger, feel a heck of a lot better about yourself, have broken thru any feelings of being depressed, and, most importantly, BE THINKING VERY CLEARLY. I know that when I have done this I have parted company with a lot of negative energy and emotion.

Pete

renegade

Thanks! These are all very good suggestions.

I noticed when I first went to the org, it was like a huge gathering of artists and very creative people. I had never experienced that before with any other group. It made me feel like I was home.

Little did I know, that only happens in Div 6.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
reminds me ...

Thanks! These are all very good suggestions.

I noticed when I first went to the org, it was like a huge gathering of artists and very creative people. I had never experienced that before with any other group. It made me feel like I was home.

Little did I know, that only happens in Div 6.

Reminds me about the joke about the three rooms of hell ... the sinner dies, goes to hell, is greated by the devil, and is given choices ... first room ... people are being flogged by some hideous looking demons, next room, people are chained to boilers and being burned alive ... third room, everybody is chest deep in raw sewage, but they are all laughing, joking, talking, and sipping coffee. The sinner figures this isn't so bad, so he opts for the third room. Then the whistle blows ... "Coffee break is over, everybody back down on their knees!

Pete

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yup. I was always kind of a nerd and after I got out I resumed my computer career for quite a while. After I moved to the Northwest, I left the computer field bit still do some programming in my spare time just for fun.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
I didn't have many hobbies pre-scn, however, post-scn i seem to get very intense on different ones until I seem to pass to the next one.

It started with computers (I ran a BBS and did programming and consulting)
Then aquariums (I still have a 75 gallon tank going)
Then astronomy (I have a 12x80 binocular, 8" Dobsonian and a 16" Dobsonian I have even met John Dobson on his 80th b-day.)
Then genealogy (22,000 member tree I have built)
Then videography (I now work for a cable channel producing and editing videos)
Now it seems to be ESMB which i dont view as a hobby but seems to absorb my time currently.

When I am no longer here, I will be intensly into the next hobby I guess.

Last edited:

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
art

I am an artist... I have drawn and sketched and painted on and off for most of my life. I guess I was "born with it" but whatever level one has of artistic ability can always be enhanced. :yes:

Why don't you go out and pick up a bunch of of your favorite art media, lay it all out and just have a go at it. Make sure that you are undisturbed and if possible, in good spirits. Play your favourite music. Play if loud if need be and try and copy with your media what you see in your mind and feel in your soul. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it... it's kind of like practice makes perfect thing. Rather, practice creates improvement and change. :thumbsup:

You'll know when you're creating works that are worthy of your time when you freakin family absconds all the good stuff, by hook or by crook, plea or bargain, deal or guilt. ALL of my best work is in my relative's possession! Just try and get any of it back: pfffffffttttttt! :grouch:

olska

Sign up for an entry-level class at your local community college in one or more of your areas of interest (drawing, painting, photography, etc.). The cost is low, and most have very liberal admission policies and if you go into the "non-degree-seeking" category you won't need much in the way of prerequisites and it won't matter if you already have a degree in the field.

Even if you are already an accomplished artist, go with an open mind to learn whatever the particular instructor has to teach, as well as to learn from the interaction with other students, of all ages and backgrounds. Community colleges serve students of all ages and backgrounds. Most of the students and teachers are, in my experience, not burdened with the annoying overly competitive egos you might find in more "elite" environments.

For example, in the various art department classes at raggedy-old Los Angeles City College, you will find people from all over the world who bring with them an amazing array of personal and cultural sensibilities and viewpoints. The art produced by some of those students is amazing.

I studied part-time at LACC for several years and formed lasting friendships with some remarkable people. This experience more than any other helped me shed the whole "scientology personality" thing and rejoin the "real" world.

olska

...a P.S. to the above:

Some people think a formal classes too confining, but I found the opposite to be true. I had wandered rather far from any direction I once had, so more than technical training, I needed help to focus.

Class assignments helped me focus; some assignments challenged me in ways I'd never have thought of or explored on my own.

gerry

Patron with Honors
What I have found, though is that I have taken up new hobbies and gotten a lot of joy out of them. . . and when I wasn't looking, some of my old ones crept in there too. . .it grew slowly but it did happen.

Don't give up.

-TL

Now that is beautiful

:happydance:

Human Again

Dear Renegade,

This may be the most important question you have asked.

stop using Scientology to get rid of Scientology.

So long as you talk like a Scientologists using Scientology concepts you will think like a Scientologist.

abandon Scientology completely

The Anabaptist Jacques

Then buy a bunch of art stuff and put paint to canvass. Don't worry about the quality. Just do more and more and soon you will be intested in one part, one thing you tried, one bit that loooked...well... like you could try again or add something to... etc. Once you're engaged, you're on your way.

It helps to go and get inspired by other people's art, nature, music, wine, a joint, whatever helps you relax and find the world interesting.

One SHITHOUSE thing that Scn does is disengage people from the world and tell them it is not worth looking at. Go look/listen/laugh at/marvel at/wonder how/love.

Then play with representing it, answering it, furthering it, copying it all the variations that art is.

Since getting Scn out of my head I have become a professional body artist ( got a two day gig at the snow this week!) , a resin artist, a painter in watercolors and I could spend every minute of every day getting inspired and creating if I didn't have to earn a few crusts! I rediscovered writing fiction, non-fiction and did a 4 year degree in film making! This world is the most amazing playground and I will not give one more day where I can marvel at it to that despicable trap.

good luck, PM me if this helps or annoys you :D

I'm going to try and put up a bit of my visual art but haven't mastered computer art yet! LOL! If these are too big and cause problems, anyone please feel free to fix them or tell me how to :) :D

Resin and ink on canvass.
DSC02744.jpg

Watercolor
DSC01429.jpg

Resin and ink and poweder on canvass
DSC02756.jpg

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
Human again those are amazing!! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing them with us!! (and the advice too) :)

-TL

Wisened One

Crusader
When I joined scn, I was really into Ballet.

Well since leaving, I've taken a few classes here and there and am thinking about resuming classes and such, Idk. (I'm old now...for doing Ballet for anything other than fun and exercise).

I've also been a writer most of my life and have resumed that off and on when the inspiration strikes.

It's been refreshing to stretch my creativity once again! :yes:

Soon, I am going to enroll in some night classes and put nose to the grindstone and gain my A+ Certification then go for Internet Security, I think. I may also take foreign languages and gain proficiency in that, again (why, idk..not much use for them living in KS). Also extremely interested in Writing, Copyediting/Proofreading/English classes.

IMMORTAL

Patron Meritorious
Dear Renegade,

This may be the most important question you have asked.

Then buy a bunch of art stuff and put paint to canvass. Don't worry about the quality. Just do more and more and soon you will be intested in one part, one thing you tried, one bit that loooked...well... like you could try again or add something to... etc. Once you're engaged, you're on your way.

It helps to go and get inspired by other people's art, nature, music, wine, a joint, whatever helps you relax and find the world interesting.

One SHITHOUSE thing that Scn does is disengage people from the world and tell them it is not worth looking at. Go look/listen/laugh at/marvel at/wonder how/love.

Then play with representing it, answering it, furthering it, copying it all the variations that art is.

Since getting Scn out of my head I have become a professional body artist ( got a two day gig at the snow this week!) , a resin artist, a painter in watercolors and I could spend every minute of every day getting inspired and creating if I didn't have to earn a few crusts! I rediscovered writing fiction, non-fiction and did a 4 year degree in film making! This world is the most amazing playground and I will not give one more day where I can marvel at it to that despicable trap.

good luck, PM me if this helps or annoys you :D

I'm going to try and put up a bit of my visual art but haven't mastered computer art yet! LOL! If these are too big and cause problems, anyone please feel free to fix them or tell me how to :) :D

Resin and ink on canvass.
DSC02744.jpg

Watercolor
DSC01429.jpg

Resin and ink and poweder on canvass
DSC02756.jpg

These are beautiful! Yes, thanks for sharing.

I agree with your advice. For me, it happened just the opposite. I'd always had something to do with art, either trying to paint, taking an occasional class or just seeing the beauty in things, life, nature that I wanted to capture it somehow in my own way.

I dropped it all as I became so involved in Scientology over 35 years. It really wasn't encouraged to spend time there for reasons already covered in this thread.

Then, once I left the church a few months ago, I began to notice a shift in my attention. I started looking out more, seeing again what I once thought was so beautiful and again wanting to capture that somehow in my own way. That's when I began to feel the urge to pick up a paint brush and color again.

I think whatever way you get there, you can recover this joy to yourself again. :yes: