What's new

Anyone recover your old personal interest or hobbies?

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
After being in scn for a while, all my personal interests in art, music, etc. were slowly eroded and invalidated by the org as other fish, "bowling" chasing butterflies, etc.

Anyone know of ways to get it back? It seems that the Art course did me more harm than good. I got into so much self-coaching that I completely stopped all my of my drawing and painting.

I have a relative who had long ago stopped doing her art and it saddened me because her art was so good and unique. I took a gamble on buying her a large reference encyclopedia type book on art hoping it would inspire her to paint again. I was surprised to later hear from her that she not only loved the book, she was painting again. She said that learning about the different techniques mastered by others of the different periods in history really inspired her to pick up the paint brush and pastels and try new things. She said it was a handy book to have and all her friends wanted to borrow it, lol.

I wish I knew the name of the book but it was big and about 400 pages.

With that in mind, here are some internet websites that I hope will inspire you.

ART HISTORY RESOURCES ON THE WEB: Research Resources
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/ARTHLinks4.html

"Welcome! Here you will find everything you ever wanted to know about painting, drawing, sketching, illustration, cartooning, and more. You will also find articles on how to protect, promote, and sell your art. Painting at Suite 101 also offers articles on art history, classic artists, and modern artists."

Read more at Suite101: Painting/Drawing
http://painting.suite101.com

http://figuredrawings.com/

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
For creative endeavors, I've found the steps in Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way to be helpful.

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
I think. I may also take foreign languages and gain proficiency in that, again (why, idk..not much use for them living in KS). Also extremely interested in Writing, Copyediting/Proofreading/English classes.

I started learning portuguese, we have a very high amount of legal and otherwise brazilian immigrants. Sign language to help with understanding my kids, and of all things Tagalog (filipeno).

I never imagined using taglog, but about 2 years ago we had a huge influx of filepino workers show up and they were shocked that I could speak it. You never know when an alternative language can come in handy!

Wisened One

Crusader
I started learning portuguese, we have a very high amount of legal and otherwise brazilian immigrants. Sign language to help with understanding my kids, and of all things Tagalog (filipeno).

I never imagined using taglog, but about 2 years ago we had a huge influx of filepino workers show up and they were shocked that I could speak it. You never know when an alternative language can come in handy!

True! I stiill use Spanish here and there, to this day :) And Tagalog, huh? Is it hard to learn that? My husband's father is married to a filipino. :)

And Portuguese. I DO need to learn that language proper, one day. Tho, the other night we were watching a movie and there was portuguese in it and I understood most of it! (because of it's similarity to Spanish).

I'm thinking of teaching myself whatever languages at home using something like Rosetta Stone or something. I need to complete my French studies. Took that my entire childhood, yet never learned it conversationally. (Oddly enough).

You're right, it IS handy knowing other languages. I did take Amslan (American Sign Language) classes for a couple years when a teen, should finish learning that too.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I kept some of my hobbies and interest though I had to sacrifice my sleep time for this and the money wasn't always available.

I was studying fine arts prior to getting involved in the cult but of course I quite college though I continued, on a very limited basis, to do some work while I was still in.

I also read quite a bit( none Silon material of course) though not as much as I do now.

I collected and painted lead or pewter Lord of Ring type figures after I'd get home from the Org.. Now I collect WWII action figures and I customize these(mostly Germans, they had more interesting uniforms, badges and insignias).

I also go shooting and have lots of guns and rifles. I love buying old worn out rifles and fixing these. I started this hobby when I was Foundation Staff and not full time.

At one point when I was only public I had a horse. What a wonderful experience and yet there was always that nagging little voice telling me that I was somehow being "out ethics" by indulging in this activity.

I now grow herbs, though I don't have much of a green thumb.:D

I've done the Monroe tape courses, which use Hemysinc, and I am presently learning how to use dowsing rods...don't laugh OK.:wink2:

Oh yes, and last but not least, I SLEEP now...one of my favorite pastimes;I have about 27 years to catch up on.:D Talk about a back log!

I agree with you, when I first joined I was amazed at the amount of artist, writers and musicians that were members. I was convinced back then that I'd found the ideal group!

But, if there is anything that kills creativity, it is the COS. I, in fact, started hating art.

TP

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
What a wonderful experience and yet there was always that nagging little voice telling me that I was somehow being "out ethics" by indulging in this activity.

But, if there is anything that kills creativity, it is the COS. I, in fact, started hating art.

TP

I wish I could quote this to another thread I answered. I don't know how. ...Oh... hang on maybe if I ... I did it, it worked yay! I hope it's ok I quoted you in the criticism thread?

Um, ok thanks telepathic for this I had a similar thing, I remember being about 17 and feeling quite jealous of a friend who was studying art and was enjoying it so much. Then I felt guilty for feeeling jealous. She made it, she's a household name, and I still feel a little knot of loss when I see her and am reminded of the imposition of false values. Thank goodness the jealousy didn't last, but damn the man who stole my choices.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I wish I could quote this to another thread I answered. I don't know how. ...Oh... hang on maybe if I ... I did it, it worked yay! I hope it's ok I quoted you in the criticism thread?

Um, ok thanks telepathic for this I had a similar thing, I remember being about 17 and feeling quite jealous of a friend who was studying art and was enjoying it so much. Then I felt guilty for feeeling jealous. She made it, she's a household name, and I still feel a little knot of loss when I see her and am reminded of the imposition of false values. Thank goodness the jealousy didn't last, but damn the man who stole my choices.

Of course you can quote me, I will not sue you:coolwink:

Interesting, I also felt the same way about two of my none Scilon buddies who became quite successful as artist. I too felt that same "knot of loss!":D The term really describes it well:thumbsup:

TP

RolandRB

Rest in Peace
After being in scn for a while, all my personal interests in art, music, etc. were slowly eroded and invalidated by the org as other fish, "bowling" chasing butterflies, etc.

Anyone know of ways to get it back? It seems that the Art course did me more harm than good. I got into so much self-coaching that I completely stopped all my of my drawing and painting.

I got my old hobby of photography back but added people photography to the list. Photographing pickets of the cult, LOL!