What's new

Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
A friend sent me a couple of videos from the set sold by Gary Craig. He allows buyers to give away up to 100 copies, so this is with his blessing. I watched them and have been trying out EFT over the past couple of days. The basic theory is that undesirable conditions like phobias and even medical conditions are caused by imbalances in the person's electrical field, and this can be remedied by addressing the person's energy field. The basic technique involves the client putting his attention on the topic to be addressed while tapping in sequence on a series of 12 or 15 specific points of the body, the same points person to person. It takes maybe a minute to do a "round" of these points in standard EFT.

The most useful tool I found is a series of free videos online where a young guy called Magnus effectively gives sessions to the viewer. Just like my YouTube sessions except he did his several months before I thought of doing it. :). The first one here is an introduction to the tapping procedure and the second is a longer session where Magnus leads the viewer in doing maybe 10 or 15 rounds of tapping, with no excess chat involved beyond what is needed for the session. His website is at www.tapping.com.

Introduction: http://www.tapping.com/videos/introduction-to-tapping.html

Self-acceptance session: http://www.tapping.com/videos/self-acceptance.html

Apart from a few sessions I did personally, I spent a little while reading online. There is quite a bit of mention of the importance of keeping at it, i.e. persist with addressing the problem in hand, doing many rounds. The Gary Craig videos seemed to underplay this a bit. Although he said that there can be many, many aspects to a topic, and many rounds must be done, watching some of the examples I first got the idea that things miraculously got fixed in only a few minutes. The Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_Freedom_Techniques notes that EFT has been the subject of three peer-reviewed publications as of 2007. The first one showed probable long-term benefit after a 30-minute treatment; in the second the EFT group received "a single round regular EFT"; the third didn't have controls. A one-minute test of a treatment doesn't appear to me to be a test done by people willing to see a positive result!

Anyway, I was curious because in Gary Craig's video the people shown were apparently getting benefit within discharging anything. I wondered if this was normal and if EFT was vastly superior to my apparently slower Rub & Yawn stuff, where visible discharge is key to the procedure. And more importantly, if it was, then my whole theoretical model of what was going on went out the window in that no negative energy or mass was being stored at all if improvement was possible without any energetic flush (i.e. good energy in replacing bad energy out) at all.

I made up a rough PaulsRobot version for my own use. If one is going to do the regular EFT procedure, it doesn't really provide any benefit over tapping along to the video or doing it by oneself anyway, although it helps if you want to keep notes of the session. After trying different approaches, what works best for me so far is to combine it with my Rub & Yawn technique to the extent of only rubbing random points if I felt a strong urge to do so, but changing the regular tapping procedure. I kept to the same sequence, but used each tapping point as an assessment technique — if 7 or 10 taps on one point produced a yawn or the feeling that a yawn was on the way I would keep tapping until the discharge had occurred then go on to the next point. If no yawn or feeling one was trying to break to the surface, I would take that as a no-read and go onto the next point. This seemed to work well. I haven't done any work on different visualization techniques, but there is work to be done in that area.

Surrogate work

EFT can be done on pets, babies, even people remote from one, by the practitioner first cleaning up his own energy fields and then focusing his attention on the client (pet etc.) and the client's topic to be addressed and doing the usual regular EFT procedure on his own body but on behalf of the remote client. This is said to be somewhat effective, although not as effective as doing it directly. Sometimes it is just not possible to do it directly.

I've come across surrogate meridian therapies before, the first time with a Touch for Health workshop I attended in Los Angeles around 2002.

Does anyone here have any experience with EFT or with surrogate meridian therapies?

Paul

FoTi

Crusader
http://www.mercola.com/forms/eftcourse1.htm

Yes. I learned about EFT and how to do it at the above website.

I have used it. I started one evening when I laid down to go to sleep, thinking I'd just try it for a few minutes before going to sleep. I ended up with no sleep....I stayed awake all night doing this....I kept blowing charge all night long. It was great. I never did sleep. I got up and went to work in the morning....not in the least bit tired. Never got tired all day. It worked really well for me. :yes:

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I started using EFT quite a while ago. I wanted pain relief without drugs, so I gave it a try. The same as FoTi, that night I couldn't sleep, it was amazing. I don't use it often now, but it is a tool if I want to.

I'm not into 'doing many rounds' or any kind of rote application at all if I can help it. For me addressing an issue can result in an instant change sometimes, perhaps just formulating the words about that issue is enough. (It was the same for me with auditing which got me into a lot of trouble.) If there is no change going on, I change the words or thoughts, just follow the flow of them.

Sometimes I would go to bed and be in such pain from different sources that I was too exhausted to tap physically. So I did it in my mind instead and found it almost as effective. I would start with the worst area, and as it improved, move on the to next etc. I often found I fell asleep within a short time, which after all was what I wanted at the time. Some long term pain issues have been resolved this way as well, one day I would remember I used to have a pain somewhere but it hadn't come back. Cool.

I like your idea of combining it with your yawn technique. I'm not really into all the whys and wherefores of what happens, my best explanation is along the lines of increased personal awareness, and redirection of energy.

I've used both EFT and Quantum Touch for surrogate work with surprising success. Being somewhat cynical at times, I can't say I am convinced of anything particular and use my own combination of tools in the moment. I've tried my own 'tests' and keep getting overwhelming confirmation that it works, but have a way to go on that. One friend said recently "I don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it!" and this was after a 10 second 'direction of good energy' or whatever you want to call it that I hadn't told her about.

I have a friend who swears by EFT, and being a teacher uses a mental version to calm an unruly class so they have an interest in what they are doing. You often can't tap your face or hands in company without looking like an idiot!

WrongPlaceRightTime

Patron Meritorious
HI!

I am familiar with EFT though I haven't tried it myself...

Years ago I downloaded the free manual and never read it and I still get the EFT insights newsletter in my inbox every month or so.

I have completed 250 hours of formal training and another several tens of hours of personal practice and study of Jin Shin Do Body Mind Acupressure which is meridian based. I am continuously amazed at the way this process works and the types of realizations and emotional healing I have with this work. Every one who I have worked with has at least felt energy moving, even folks who "don't believe in that kind of stuff".

I am curious which points EFT uses...it would be interesting to boil that down a bit...

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I am curious which points EFT uses...it would be interesting to boil that down a bit...

Watch one of those videos. I don't know the standard names and these descriptions are not precise, but top of the head; inside corner of eyebrow; side of eye; under eye; under nose; under mouth; inside of collar bone; top of thumb; index finger; middle finger; little finger; gamut point on back of hand; under arm; "sore spot" upper chest.

Paul

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Just btw Paul...
The teacher I mentioned called me half an hour after I posted, from overseas. As this only happens every 6 months or so, and we talked last week, it was most unexpected. In the course of the conversation she mentioned that she had recently used surrogate EFT on a class she was supervising for exams. She just tapped herself quietly (hands I think) and concentrated on each student one by one, not looking at them though, and said it was remarkable how their head would pop up and look around when it was them. I asked her what she tapped for, and she said just a general thing about each person being able to find the answers they needed for the exam.

She then checked with other teachers, and found that the classes she supervised had a much higher pass level.

Interesting. :D

FoTi

Crusader
HI!

I am familiar with EFT though I haven't tried it myself...

Years ago I downloaded the free manual and never read it and I still get the EFT insights newsletter in my inbox every month or so.

I have completed 250 hours of formal training and another several tens of hours of personal practice and study of Jin Shin Do Body Mind Acupressure which is meridian based. I am continuously amazed at the way this process works and the types of realizations and emotional healing I have with this work. Every one who I have worked with has at least felt energy moving, even folks who "don't believe in that kind of stuff".

Go back to post #2 on this thread and click on the link.. You will find the points EFT uses there.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Just btw Paul...
The teacher I mentioned called me half an hour after I posted, from overseas. As this only happens every 6 months or so, and we talked last week, it was most unexpected. In the course of the conversation she mentioned that she had recently used surrogate EFT on a class she was supervising for exams. She just tapped herself quietly (hands I think) and concentrated on each student one by one, not looking at them though, and said it was remarkable how their head would pop up and look around when it was them. I asked her what she tapped for, and she said just a general thing about each person being able to find the answers they needed for the exam.

She then checked with other teachers, and found that the classes she supervised had a much higher pass level.

Interesting. :D

Yes, interesting. Thanks very much.

Maybe we should do a surrogate EFT test on ESMB. Anyone interested just shout. Or stick your hand up, or something.

Paul

Isn't this just Temporal Tapping, which pretty much works like Neuro Linguistic Programming, in essence making you interrupt and break negative associations while replacing them positive ones?

WrongPlaceRightTime

Patron Meritorious
some more information

So here is some more information taken from A Practical Guide to Acu-Points by Chris Jarmey and Ilaira Bouratinos... I have included some of the information available in this book- I have been using this book for point location clarification and for more information on the point functions to supplement the books written by my teacher, Iona Marsaa Teeguarden.

Side of the hand: "Back Stream" Small Intestine 3 (also the master point of the Governing vessel) this point's primary function is to regulate yang qi and opens the Governing Vessel.

Top of head: "One Hundred Convergences" GV-20 is an extremely important point. It descends excessive yang, clears the head and calms the mind.

Inner Eyebrow points: "Gathered Bamboo" Bladder 2 regulates the qi and blood, alleviates pain, dispels wind and clears heat. (I wonder if this point is actually going for another point which is in the canthus of the orbital socket- this point is Bladder 1 "bright eyes" and it is used among other indications for nourishing Yin and I am beginning to see a pattern here- a lot of taming excessive yang which would be flaring up in cases of emotional defenses. Yang energy is defense energy, energy of protection and Yin energy is nourishing energy, energy of loving yourself and others.)

Outside of eye: Could be two points "Pupil Crevice" Gall Bladder 1 is used to clear wind and heat from the eyes, promote qi and blood circulation and to benefit the eyes. Another possibility could be "Silken Bamboo Hollow" Triple Warmer 23 it has similar functions as "Pupil Crevice" though also used to alleviate pain.

Under the eye: Could be two points on the Stomach meridian. "Tear Container" St 1 benefits the eyes and area below, improves visions, and dispels wind and heat. "Four Direction Brightness" St-2 dispels wind and clears heat. Stops excessive lacrimation and improves appearance.

Under the nose: "Man Center" this is a point on the Governing Vessel(26) and it is a dynamic and important point used to clear the face and nose, dissipate wind, clear heat, open the sense organs and restore consciousness.

Chin: "Saliva Receptacle" Conception Vessel 24 dispels wind and clears heat and treats facial paralysis.

Collar Bone: "Shu Mansion" or "Wind Mansion" Kidney 27 is used to descend rebellious qi and regulate the qi.

Tender spot in the Chest: "Central Mansion" Lung 1 and or 2 benefits respiration, regulates chest qi, dispels stagnation and heat, releases exterior and tonifies lung qi.

Under the arm: "Great Embrace" Spleen 21 also Grand Lou (point used to regulate qi through the entire body) used to invigorate the blood and dispel stasis and is warming to the body.

The points on the finger tips are where one meridian ends and thus another begins. Used to encourage the flow of energy.

There is a lot more that could be noted here but that took a good hour to research and type so I will save it for another post.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Thanks for that WPRT!

Is there any reason you know why tapping on a particular spot could feel really weird? Not painful, just weird. I have that on the under the eye one, I don't like doing that one. I do have hot flushes at times!!:D

WrongPlaceRightTime

Patron Meritorious
Thanks for that WPRT!

Is there any reason you know why tapping on a particular spot could feel really weird? Not painful, just weird. I have that on the under the eye one, I don't like doing that one. I do have hot flushes at times!!:D

what do you mean by weird? St-1 is actually located between the eye ball and the ridge of the bone. If you are in there it is a very sensitive spot where the infraorbital artery, vein and nerve, the oculomotor nerve, the opthalmic artery and the optic nerve are located. You are most likely tapping on St 2 which is over the Infraorbital Foramen which is likely where a vein, artery or nerve comes out to supply the tissue of the facial muscles.

from my own experience sometimes I have noticed an odd feeling come over my self when pressing on points when I am studying. like a slight queasiness... Also the feeling of "the heart being open" I find to be extremely unpleasant which is amusing because that is something that tends to be regarded as a fantastic state of being. It literally feels like someone could put their hand through my chest. I suppose it feels so uncomfortable because I feel vulnerable.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
what do you mean by weird? St-1 is actually located between the eye ball and the ridge of the bone. If you are in there it is a very sensitive spot where the infraorbital artery, vein and nerve, the oculomotor nerve, the opthalmic artery and the optic nerve are located. You are most likely tapping on St 2 which is over the Infraorbital Foramen which is likely where a vein, artery or nerve comes out to supply the tissue of the facial muscles.

from my own experience sometimes I have noticed an odd feeling come over my self when pressing on points when I am studying. like a slight queasiness... Also the feeling of "the heart being open" I find to be extremely unpleasant which is amusing because that is something that tends to be regarded as a fantastic state of being. It literally feels like someone could put their hand through my chest. I suppose it feels so uncomfortable because I feel vulnerable.

Thanks. Yes, a slight queasiness is exactly it. Only that point. :confused2:

I'm raising my hand...

I'm in Paul, for trying absent treatment or surrogate practice. I would like to focus on my hands. I do think this is somewhat related to NLP, but I won't argue the point. Actually, I much prefer the rub and yawn method, now that's a clear winner! Set up the conditions for your test, and pm me or whatever with instructions.

Tapping now! :clap:

Reasonable

Silver Meritorious Patron
All this tapping techniques really started in the 30's with a Dr. Riddler. He was tapping specific spine points to realease organs.

Then Dr. Goodheart DC came up with muscle testing int eh 50's

Then Dr. Victor Frank combined muscle testing and the Riddler points in the 60's

Victor Frank also started combining emotions, food allergies and adjusting in a technique called TBM Total Body Modification

From his technique came Namburipads Allergy Eiminatin Technique and
Dr Walkers Neuro Emotional technique (NET). I think (guessing again) that he probaby did get information from Dianetics

Here he connected an organ to an emotion or consideration or a thought or an engram. He had you touch the organ while he tapped the Riddler poitns to discharge the evergy.

I would bet EFT came from NET (I am guessing)

I think EFT is just an easy laymans way of discharging bad emotions without really having to know too much about meridians, specific points or muscle testing. It can work very nicely.

remember: Many things can work not just Scientology, and it doesn't make us enemies if we have different methods.

Other similar techs or offshoots of TBM are:
Bioset for allergies
Body Talk for emotions, allergies etc
JMT
Probably many more

The basic premise is that you are correcting the body's electical field to normal in the presence of a stressor ( emotion, food etc).

The more specific the stressor and the better the correction the better the result

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Actually, I much prefer the rub and yawn method, now that's a clear winner! Set up the conditions for your test, and pm me or whatever with instructions.

Tapping now! :clap:

I have no plans for a test yet. The last one I did took five hours of my time and provided ten minutes of amusement for three or four people. EFT's not my thing at all. I much prefer Rub & Yawn too.

Paul

Thank You!

All this tapping techniques really started in the 30's with a Dr. Riddler. He was tapping specific spine points to realease organs.

Then Dr. Goodheart DC came up with muscle testing int eh 50's

Then Dr. Victor Frank combined muscle testing and the Riddler points in the 60's

Victor Frank also started combining emotions, food allergies and adjusting in a technique called TBM Total Body Modification

From his technique came Namburipads Allergy Eiminatin Technique and
Dr Walkers Neuro Emotional technique (NET). I think (guessing again) that he probaby did get information from Dianetics

Here he connected an organ to an emotion or consideration or a thought or an engram. He had you touch the organ while he tapped the Riddler poitns to discharge the evergy.

I would bet EFT came from NET (I am guessing)

I think EFT is just an easy laymans way of discharging bad emotions without really having to know too much about meridians, specific points or muscle testing. It can work very nicely.

remember: Many things can work not just Scientology, and it doesn't make us enemies if we have different methods.

Other similar techs or offshoots of TBM are:
Bioset for allergies
Body Talk for emotions, allergies etc
JMT
Probably many more

The basic premise is that you are correcting the body's electical field to normal in the presence of a stressor ( emotion, food etc).

The more specific the stressor and the better the correction the better the result

Thanks, Reasonable (love your nickname!) for that interesting background information, and this great statement:

I am definitely going to needlepoint that on a pillow!