What's new

I'm pretty sure I ran into some of Laffy's entourage

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I've been reading some of the books on the cult, and it reminded me of something that happened way back when.

It must of been in the late '70's or so when I saw a car with a 'find out about Scientology' bumper sticker on it on Main St. in Lake Elsinore. I approached the two guys that had gotten out of it and tried to engage them in conversation.

I had been on lines and then on staff at Bent Corydon's Riverside mission, and I believe I mentioned this to them. It was quite a while ago, and the conversation didn't last long. I recall being puzzled at their strange reticence. Most Scios would be very open and communicative, but these guys seemed a bit nervous. They were wearing similar outfits that seemed vaguely like a uniform. White shirts. Epaulets on the shoulders? I don't completely recall. No insignia or anything. They answered my questions with non-answer generalities, as best I can remember, and obviously wanted to end the conversation politely and get away from me, so I said later, and left them alone.

During my reading lately, I ran across an account that said the old hypnotist spent some time in a motor home at the Lake Elsinore state park campground around this time. It didn't hit me right away, but for some reason I recalled these guys later.

All the clues seem to indicate that these guys might have at least known that the fugitive Hubbard was in town.

A very minor thing, but I had a sort of 'oh, wow' moment, and I thought I'd share it.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron
From what I read they treated moving the old turd in an RV around like he was some super secret spi. To the extent all communications had to be done at distant phone booths they only were made aware of the locations and numbers an hour before the call went down, all connections to Scientology were to be hidden, LRH was to be a "gentleman rancher retiree" (lol) plus plenty other beyond paranoid procedures to keep the ultimate OT coward safe. I can't imagine they would have something as obvious as a big fat Scientology bumpersticker on their car if they were dealing directly with Hubbard's babysitting crew.

Now maybe they were a pair assigned to drop off bags of suckers money or receive some phone call from Broeker, that seems more pausible. But the idea of some guy being so stupid to pull up with a big clam bumpersticker to have some remote contact with the turds slaves, after all the crazy hoops they jumped through to keep LRH hidden and totally removed from any connection to the cult is pretty hilarious - probably would have meant an SP declare too.

rich

Silver Meritorious Patron
They probably had that bumper sticker on there for months and just forgot it was there.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
From what I read they treated moving the old turd in an RV around like he was some super secret spi. To the extent all communications had to be done at distant phone booths they only were made aware of the locations and numbers an hour before the call went down, all connections to Scientology were to be hidden, LRH was to be a "gentleman rancher retiree" (lol) plus plenty other beyond paranoid procedures to keep the ultimate OT coward safe. I can't imagine they would have something as obvious as a big fat Scientology bumpersticker on their car if they were dealing directly with Hubbard's babysitting crew.

Now maybe they were a pair assigned to drop off bags of suckers money or receive some phone call from Broeker, that seems more pausible. But the idea of some guy being so stupid to pull up with a big clam bumpersticker to have some remote contact with the turds slaves, after all the crazy hoops they jumped through to keep LRH hidden and totally removed from any connection to the cult is pretty hilarious - probably would have meant an SP declare too.

It was either in the Bent Corydon or Russell Miller book, forget which one, where there was an incident in the mid 1970's, where some SciFi fan encountered the HubTurd and his entourage in Florida, after the Sea Org came ashore. The result was a flap of super paranoia followed by a change of location to some other apartment. This was prior to the California recluse days and even prior to the HubTurd as movie director days.

Pete

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I can't imagine they would have something as obvious as a big fat Scientology bumpersticker on their car if they were dealing directly with Hubbard's babysitting crew.

I see your point.

Although, as I recall, it was a fairly innocuous bumper sticker; plain white with small black letters. Nothing but 'find out about scientology' like a hypnotic command. Who's idea do you suppose that was?

Also, can we really assume that they had their act together that well? What if the old bastard yelled 'Get me an old, nondescript car NOW!!!' and if anyone noticed the bumper sticker, they silently prayed he wouldn't.

The more I recall this incident, the more I think that these two guys looked kind of 'shell shocked' or something. Deer-in-the-headlights stares, and forced smiles, you know?

I couldn't prove in a court of law that these where Laffy's henchmen, but when I remembered this old memory, I had an 'Ah hah!' moment. It 'indicated' as we used to say in the cult. In other words, it made sense, and explained heretofore unexplained behavior.

That's also quite possible. Who knows?

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
It was either in the Bent Corydon or Russell Miller book, forget which one, where there was an incident in the mid 1970's, where some SciFi fan encountered the HubTurd and his entourage in Florida, after the Sea Org came ashore. The result was a flap of super paranoia followed by a change of location to some other apartment.

"In 1976 Hubbard sold off his fleet and went ashore in Florida. Numerous dummy corporations were set up to conceal any connection with Hubbard or Scientology. Hubbard set up elaborate precautions to conceal his actual whereabouts."

http://www.ronthenut.org/conspire.htm