What's new

Israeli Health Ministry bans hypnotists from using past-lives regression treatment

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
The original article was published today in Haaretz
<http://www.haaretz.co.il>newspaper online website (article is in Hebrew. link here <http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/spages/1102644.html>)

[What's disturbing is that cults like Scientology, psychics and other charlatans can continue doing this nonsense, but not licensed Psychologists!]

To summarize: some licensed hypnosis therapists in Israel try to help their patients by "sending" them during therapy to their past lives, trying to find there a problem that affects their present life. Apparently this kind of treatment caused serious mental damage to patients.

Dr. Alex Aviv, head of department in Abrabanel mental hospital and head of the Hypnosis law committee initiated the ban. They claim that there is no known institution that teaches this technique as part of the official training. Researchers lead by Professor Nicholas Spanos from Carleton University, Canada have done a 20 year old research about the subject and concluded that most of the findings in a past lives treatment were the result of hints the hypnotist suggested to the patient.

The article mentions one case in which a 23 year old man was treated by a clinic psychologist who is also a licensed hypnotist. He was suffering from depression. The psychologist suggested hypnotizing the patient and doing the past lives regression treatment on him. During the process the patient got "stuck" with an experience of being inside a coffin and started developing a severe case of panic and difficulty in breathing and was moved to receive medical treatment. Dr. Aviv says the patient was implanted with a false memory. He had to repeat the same process the patient was going through in order to revert the thought implanted by the hypnotist.

Unfortunately, the Ministry of Health decided not to ban past lives regression treatments completely, just licensed psychologists.

And if you're still reading (I'm sorry for the bad translation), there's another mention of a Dr. Liana Soffer, a general practitioner treating with past lives regression and she says "the treatment allows us to return to a stage before the birth and discover what we were in a past life. I believe in god and reincarnation, and believe if you amend your soul, your next life will be easier. And if you don't, your next life will be more difficult." She also says a soul goes through about 7,000 life cycles, but she also had a patient who's current life was her first cycle, and before that she was an angel!

Yes, very good. I see it as analogous to preventing medical doctors giving patients snake oil when they are supposed to be helping them.

AnonOrange

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yes, very good. I see it as analogous to preventing medical doctors giving patients snake oil when they are supposed to be helping them.

I can see the point of doing that, but all these charlatans need to be stopped. Unfortunately I don't see the gov doing much about it.