What's new

Looking beyond the cover—and the baggage—of Battlefield Earth

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
http://www.avclub.com/articles/looking-beyond-the-coverand-the-baggageof-battlefi,83934/

Looking beyond the cover—and the baggage—of Battlefield Earth

(excerpt)

Recently I sat down and read the science-fiction novel Battlefield Earth for the first time since I was a kid.

Two days into it, I tore the cover off.

I didn’t commit this act of vandalism out of excitement or frustration or anger. I did it out of embarrassment. I mean, come on. Look at that cover: It depicts the book’s main character, Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, as a mannequin-like barbarian standing bowlegged on what appears to be a giant lump of dried cat shit. (As we’ll see later, it may indeed be cat shit.) He’s dressed and bearded like Brad Pitt, if Brad Pitt were a contestant on Survivor. His abdominal muscles seem cripplingly deformed. In each hand he holds a laser pistol. Limply, and without looking where he’s aiming—after all, he has to balance on a giant lump of cat shit—he’s firing those lasers in random directions.

Who is he hitting? Why is he shooting? For an answer to these burning questions, you need only read the book. (By the way, in case you missed it: Yes, the protagonist’s middle name is “Goodboy.” As in “good guy.” Just making sure that subtext didn’t get buried in the litter box.)

(read more at link above)

Smilla

Ordinary Human
I actually found it quite a good read when I was a Scientologist, but some of it seems a bit silly now. I won't bother re-reading it.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
LMAO! A couple of years ago a copy of BFE turned up (in near un-read condition) at our local free book exchange and, out of morbid curiousity, I randomly opened several pages and read a bit... it was a bit too much, seriously, lousy writing from the Demented One as per usual.
The thought crossed my mind that it was worse than the movie for one simple reason, that is, if one was going to subject your precious mind to such drivel then at least the movie was over in a couple of hours, then you're done with it. Reading the book, not so much, then you have to get rid of it also, without polluting the planet more :p

Lone Star

Crusader
I started to read it about 8 years ago. I got halfway through it and put it down never to pick it up again. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. Bored me to tears.

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
The names Hubbard came up with for his characters are wierd.

Battlefield Earth: Johnny Goodboy Tyler, Brown Limper Stumper.

Mission Earth: Dr. Cutzwits, Saltan Grease.

Guess he was trying to be funny.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Yep remember cringing when I first heard the synopsis. And when Janet Weiland asked me my opinion of the book at a staff meeting she really got shocked when I told her, out loud, it was awful.

I was then (and am now) a big sci-fi fan and this book was woeful on several fronts. It needed severe editing for a start it was overblown beyond belief. Secondly it read like it had been written in the 1940's - to this day I reckon that Hubbard never matured as a writer. He had some original and exciting stories in his pulp years both in sci-fi and outside of it. His work holds up against the work of his peers at the time. But he went off in to writing for his cult - where every word was hung as pure truth and he never had to cut or rewrite or anything and no-one ever edited his sacred works.

So when he came to write the definitive "blockbuster" he just never had the chops for it. And all the fake purchases, the shenanigans could not change the simple fact that he had laid a turd.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I read it twice, about 5 or so years apart, when I was in the SO, and enjoyed it both times.

But the main reason for reading it then (respect for Hubbard) must have influenced my opinion of it, just as my current contempt for Hubbard would stop me trying to read it again. So I guess I will never have an unbiased view of it. :)

Paul

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Well that says a lot about Mittens. I'd rather pick someone at random out of a phone book to be President than this tool.

well the one picked out of the phone book that is currently the president is a roaring idiot so that approach didn't work either.

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Yep remember cringing when I first heard the synopsis. And when Janet Weiland asked me my opinion of the book at a staff meeting she really got shocked when I told her, out loud, it was awful.

I was then (and am now) a big sci-fi fan and this book was woeful on several fronts. It needed severe editing for a start it was overblown beyond belief. Secondly it read like it had been written in the 1940's - to this day I reckon that Hubbard never matured as a writer. He had some original and exciting stories in his pulp years both in sci-fi and outside of it. His work holds up against the work of his peers at the time. But he went off in to writing for his cult - where every word was hung as pure truth and he never had to cut or rewrite or anything and no-one ever edited his sacred works.

So when he came to write the definitive "blockbuster" he just never had the chops for it. And all the fake purchases, the shenanigans could not change the simple fact that he had laid a turd.

That's the thing ... you don't NEED an editor if you have an army of dedicated cult adherents to buy anything you write, and at a price favorable to the author!!! Of course, that's another good reason to start a cult of your own.

Pete

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
LMAO! A couple of years ago a copy of BFE turned up (in near un-read condition) at our local free book exchange and, out of morbid curiousity, I randomly opened several pages and read a bit... it was a bit too much, seriously, lousy writing from the Demented One as per usual.
The thought crossed my mind that it was worse than the movie for one simple reason, that is, if one was going to subject your precious mind to such drivel then at least the movie was over in a couple of hours, then you're done with it. Reading the book, not so much, then you have to get rid of it also, without polluting the planet more :p

Rumor has it that the CIA is using the movie BFE down in Guantanimo. First, they will use waterboarding as an enhanced interogation technique, also known as torture. If the guy is a real hard case and doesn't crack, they escalate to pulling out fingernails with a rusty pair of pliers. Next comes going to work in the guy's mouth with a pulp tester. Finally, if nothing else works, they will strap him into a chair with his eyelids taped open and screen BFE again and again. What I heard was that not a single suspect was able to make it thru a second screening before breaking down crying and agreeing to say whatever their interigators wanted to hear. Some of them not only confessed to 9-11 under this torture, but went on to confess lots of other stuff such as sinking the Lusitania and being involved in the famous gunpowder plot.

pete

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Rumor has it that the CIA is using the movie BFE down in Guantanimo. First, they will use waterboarding as an enhanced interogation technique, also known as torture. If the guy is a real hard case and doesn't crack, they escalate to pulling out fingernails with a rusty pair of pliers. Next comes going to work in the guy's mouth with a pulp tester. Finally, if nothing else works, they will strap him into a chair with his eyelids taped open and screen BFE again and again. What I heard was that not a single suspect was able to make it thru a second screening before breaking down crying and agreeing to say whatever their interigators wanted to hear. Some of them not only confessed to 9-11 under this torture, but went on to confess lots of other stuff such as sinking the Lusitania and being involved in the famous gunpowder plot.

pete

Forget BFE, the ultimate torture has to be 'Road to Freedom', good cripes I think a single play would have anyone confessing to being their own grandparent, aids, wwII, my little poney, Jonestown, etc. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGNHa8IH91k

Hmm, in retrospect this song from BFE just might do it too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtxWlTIWRHo&feature=related

Holy fuck! That was in the movie??? :omg:

:hysterical:

And now for some comedic relief~ (thanks TEoS! Brilliant! (and yeh its a couple of years ago, but holey hell its flippin' fabulous!))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=MTOJKWHhiY8

Lone Star

Crusader
well the one picked out of the phone book that is currently the president is a roaring idiot so that approach didn't work either.

Totally agree. But in which phone book do you refer? The one in Indonesia? Hawaii? Chicago? Or....dare I say it....Ken_ _? :coolwink:

:lol:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I read it twice, about 5 or so years apart, when I was in the SO, and enjoyed it both times.

But the main reason for reading it then (respect for Hubbard) must have influenced my opinion of it, just as my current contempt for Hubbard would stop me trying to read it again. So I guess I will never have an unbiased view of it. :)

Paul

Probably going to seem weird Paul but I think, in that meeting, was probably the only time in my SO "career" where I was just saying what I thought in regard to Hubbard - I wasn't trying to diss him or praise him just observing something in a genre that I really love. And it's strange because I do give him credit for his early work. If he had stayed in writing I think he may have really become a figure in the sci fi literature of the 60's and 70's.