What's new

Memories of Saint Hill

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Damn, now all the ex pot smokers are going to start rambling.:D Next thing you know, we'll all this urge to go make some brownies.:D

RL

How would you star-rate the giggles?

On the other hand, the 'cogs' and 'big wins' would be far more entertaining.

Zinj

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I love your rambles Free Will.
We experienced a time in common from different perspectives. Both young and idealistic, now mature and aware. I am probably the same age as you, and I am not old. Why should you be?

We only knew each other as passing faces back then. I'm glad we are both here now and among friends of like mind.
Ramble on...it reminds me of things I have forgotten, people I knew, smells and sights once lost in the fog of time. And therefore I can appreciate the present all the more. :)

Free Will

Patron with Honors
I love reading your stories. You fill in gaps for me and the names drift like gentle wisps of cloud through my memory, most not quite coming into focus.

Funny about Herbie and the nails. He always scared me, thundering into the telex room with reams of numbers to be sent mysterious places right this INSTANT. I still check and double check numbers to this day. :nervous:

I remember Hazel too, I always liked her. I wonder if she will ever read your story? :D And royalty Lexie, far up in the stratosphere.
Yeah.
Thanks, I'll possibly get even better at this with practice.
I'm still trying to find you in my memory. By the telex room you mean you worked in the Manor (GOWW) or in External Comm?
Yes, Herbie liked to project a frightening image to everyone but his own team. Even Sibersky didn't find him a pushover. While I was on EPF winter 1972, Herbie had assigned Danger to all Treasury/Finance in the Saint Hill area (going insolvent). They were all put into one Treasury Division (including old Lew Stanley who had been Treasury Aide UKLO - a bogged AO case who just kept doping off all day while writing.) Into this Treasury he just demanded the top 4 IQ scores on the EPF, without us completing Product Zero. In fact I had got stuck for weeks on the first line of the first checksheet, well on the word 'Hubbard'. The supervisor told me I musn't go past any word I didn't FULLY understand. Also if I didn't fully understand any word in the definition...then if that didn't work . break the difficult word down to its roots. Well, in my acid-addled hippy head I had set myself an incredibly high Hidden Standard for what was meant by 'fully understanding' that would have impressed an Oxford professor. So I'd be doping off after reading "Hubbard Communications Office Pol.." then I'd be fast asleep till the Sup (Eddy Marynowicz - ANOTHER Glaswegian) heard the snoring.
So I've got 2 long chains starting from 'Hub' and 'Bard'.
The Hub is the centre around which things revolve.
The Bard is the wise old poet/teacher. See?
So the word means something like 'Poet of the Centre', See?
So they figure I'm not really complete on my HAS Course, since I'm not actually doing 2 hours blinkless TRO without going off on trips or into the blackout zone! Anyway, Herbie just grabs me, my brother Alistair, my friend Margaret and a gorgeous girl called Carol who later married John Collins, Lyn's son and fills up the Treasury org board. Bugger our SO training - Herbie hates the Sea Org. Now our official seniors in AOSHUK and Flag have to direct all orders through Herbie! He's treating us all like proteges, with that twinkle in the eye that I'm sure LRH would have used on DM. He would lecture us nightly, on the tightest, meanest penny-pinching Treasury Policies LRH ever wrote, and how the crazy SO execs had been losing money, wasting money, banking postulate checks, etc....and how we were gonna stop it ever happening again. We're getting full tech-time, pay and liberties when the rest of the crew don't. He keeps going over the Bolivar and explaining repeatedly how you must push power to power. This is what he's always doing for Ron and MSH and it's what he wants us to do for him. I wasn't scared of him but for years me, my brother and the Division would go running to him directly for help when SO seniors reckoned Treasury was 'suppressive...running can't have and stops'. He may even have got me out of an early RPF assignment from Sibersky, as I really was doing a rather stellar job on post and sorting out a massive heap of confused and inaccurate accounts records into the orderly system laid down by the 'Centre-Poet'!
Prior to our assignment. Heather Grafton had been trying to run the whole Income Department herself from the Cashier's Office, with old Lew snoozing down in the Monkey Room, not very useful for running up the hill with the account folder of some new arrival. Herbie found that she was taking in most of the GI. He put two new girls in to quickly train up as Cashier then got CO AOSH to put Hazel on as Chief Registrar. I remember him giving us all a lecture about he and LRH (or maybe just Herbie) had done an investigation in some org into mysterious fluctuations in GI and found eventually that it was how many buttons the Registrar left open on her blouse! Flirtation, even subliminal, was seen to be useful in pushing up the GI. This turned out to be so true that a young American girl (I also fancied, and actually failed to pick up the hankie when it was dropped) Amy Youngman - who had proved pretty useless as Recruiter - was put in as Trainee Reg, changing her name to Aimee to give her prospects something to dream about. To cap it off, Peter Morgan was put in as the charming smoothie with his Irish brogue - for the female prospects. So these reges would sit and ply their prospects with coffee and cigarettes while working out the best possible package for their special friend. Anyway GI went steadily up and as I recall 1973 was a good year all round. Lots of parties, I can always remember Santana booming out over the patch beside the swimming pool, one fine Summer evening when everything seemed hunky dory.
Crikey, what if Hazel does read what I wrote? Do you think I should edit it? I really did like her a lot, although our posts often pushed us into conflict. For ages I shared the same mess as Aimee, Hazel and her lovely daughter Peta, who liked me a lot.
I'm thinking you weren't Sea Org in those days? Do you know what a 'Mess President' is?
Oh yes, this reminiscing is really doing me a power of good. I HAVE had a great life! I'm really delighted with this situation where we're finally sharing all this information. Back then I couldn't believe others didn't see the absurdities creeping in. Now it seems nearly all of us did.
You know one possible reason for the incredible stat push and deprivation towards staff members? Ron told Herbie (or so Herbie said) he wanted enough reserves to keep all of Scientology running for 2 full years without taking a single cent income!
Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, FreetoShine!:modest:
Your own story was the first I read on ESMB, I think. With all the stuff that's come back to me since then, it's worth reading again

Free Will

Patron with Honors
I love your rambles Free Will.
We experienced a time in common from different perspectives. Both young and idealistic, now mature and aware. I am probably the same age as you, and I am not old. Why should you be?

We only knew each other as passing faces back then. I'm glad we are both here now and among friends of like mind.
Ramble on...it reminds me of things I have forgotten, people I knew, smells and sights once lost in the fog of time. And therefore I can appreciate the present all the more. :)

Thanks very much. You're very right.
Just imagine where this is all going to go as more and more of these friends surface. I'm already thinking of hundreds I'd like to hear about. All with their own fantastic stories. I find I can forgive pretty near anyone who's not still inside the Church of their own free will. I must even admit to having made my own tiny constributions to the insanity, here and there.
Anyway, real nice to be in touch with you. I like your name. I believe that old adage I think I heard somewhere - you've got to learn to love yourself first. Yeah, shine on, mature and aware. I'll try to do the same.:thumbsup:
Hey, final rambling for now, I'll spit it out: my ruin, that got me into Scieno, was that although I wanted a woman to love, I was scared of women (completely lacking in self-confidence).
My first reg interview in London (high as a kite) I was assured this was exactly what Scientology was going to handle for me. Imagine my surprise when I get to Saint Hill and find Ivis Bolger, Dalene Regenass, Kris Buckeridge, Moniqua Quirino, Linda Charlton/Holling, Linda Parselle, Jane Kember and the like. My life is now dominated by roaring, swearing, loveless women who any sane young man would be right to be afraid of! Hey, leave Monica out, she was always wonderful to me, like a mother-substitute at times. But she did insist on using my height and strength in an awful lot of heavy work like carrying pianos and filing cabinets. It was always 'send for the Guys' - big strong shy Scottish lads introverted into their acne!
Enough.:omg:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Oh my, you bring tears to my eyes. Both kinds.

I just love that story of word clearing "Hubbard"! :hysterical:

I thought you were scared of women, that's what I remember of you from my somewhat vain and unaware teenage memories. I did wonder why at the time, you seemed a nice guy. I wish now I had made more effort to get to know you. How strange that these things come up 40 years later.

I was on staff a bit before you I think, 1968 - 70. Yes, GOWW as both telex op and Dir Comm. Before that I was the Receptionist, then Qual I&I at SH and had a brief foray into the SO in Edinburgh. After that I was 'public' though doing a fair bit of volunteer work like Reception etc. Dates are hazy for me during that period. I do remember you though.

I honestly can't imagine what you must have felt faced with that set of women! Darlene, Ivis and Jane I remember particularly...:omg: None of them seemed to like me much!

John Collins was a friend, what happened to him?

Those times had such an effect on me, and it's nice to talk to others who were there. It's hard to describe the combination of insanity, excitment, suffering and just plain weirdness that happened. One minute enjoying the serenity of the lake and then confined in the Monkey Room without food. I guess it helped my creative skills.

>>>> :bighug: <<<<<

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
John Collins was a friend, what happened to him?

In 1996 I was speaking to Sylvia, his sister. She said John "owned a bank" (money bank, investment possibly; not case). I don't think I got that wrong, but I didn't get any details that I recall. Oh, Germany, maybe. His name is not uncommon, so it is tricky to find him via Google.

Carol, John's ex-wife, still has a cookie-cutter page here, which gives some relatively up-to-date info.

Paul

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Photo

This came out a bit small. In 1981 when on staff at Saint Hill I managed to get 12 days leave and went to a mountain village outside Madrid to visit a girlfriend whom I'd met on lines. It's the only S O pic I can find. I had just completed the purif and had lost weight. If you click on the pic its expands.

Attachments

• Picture 369.jpg
    Picture 369.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does anyone have any info on John Cox?. Is he still at Saint Hill?. Someone told me that he'd passed away. But I don't know for sure.

Mystic

Crusader
That Cedar of Lebanon tree out on the front lawn at St. Hill was the most spiritual presence I met in the entire year I was on the so-called "briefing course".

Terril park

Sponsor
That Cedar of Lebanon tree out on the front lawn at St. Hill was the most spiritual presence I met in the entire year I was on the so-called "briefing course".

God yes! met 600 year old yews in the Forest of dean, but that tree
is the best I ever met.

Axiom142

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does anyone have any info on John Cox?. Is he still at Saint Hill?. Someone told me that he'd passed away. But I don't know for sure.

When was this mikey?

I saw John out in East Grinstead around a year ago. He seemed quite sprightly and was looking pretty good for his age.

Axiom142

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
When was this mikey?

I saw John out in East Grinstead around a year ago. He seemed quite sprightly and was looking pretty good for his age.

Axiom142
Well that's good to know. DartSmohen told me that he believed that John had passed away. But maybe he's wrong.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
There is a J. Cox in British Telecom's East Grinstead free online phone directory. I won't copy the number here, but try it if you want to. If you do speak to him you can give him my regards too.

Paul

michaelangelo

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is a J. Cox in British Telecom's East Grinstead free online phone directory. I won't copy the number here, but try it if you want to. If you do speak to him you can give him my regards too.

Paul
It may not be the same John Cox. If he has a private phone it means he's probably retired and not in the Sea Org. But as he is still in the C of S I won't phone him. He may not want to speak.