What's new

My in and out story part 1

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I found this message board because I was looking at belief systems and how they affect me now. Things like “I don’t deserve”, “must do”, “not being good enough” sort of thing, ideas you can operate on without even being aware of it. As I was in Scn from young teenagehood, which is quite a few decades ago, of course the indoctrination still exists at some level. I thought it was long gone, how wrong I was.

I wondered about telling my story, and my motives. I know I like to read personal experiences because the similarities are so shudderingly similar, it does help to know you are not alone. Yet I’m not rabidly anti or out for revenge and not into naming names – even if I could remember them all! I still have family believing they are saving the world and that’s it only my own O/Ws and Mus etc that keep me disaffected. I don’t want to cause them harm by posting and yet I also know that we are responsible for our choices and live with the consequences. And I have decided that writing my experiences is my right, because it’s about me, from my viewpoint. I hate to think of what still goes on, and so I am here.

Most dates are blurry, some memories out of sequence, but to start….

I went to my first seminar at an outer org, I think it was John McMaster’s tour. It felt like coming home to be amongst so many smiling and vital people. I did my PE course in May 67. I helped with letter writing, did my 3 times through NED course, although that was a bit of a farce as it was rushed through so I could leave the country.

My family was a large one and it was decided that Flag was the only place to be. House sold, ready to go and a FO came out about no kids under 12. Oops, there were a few, so redirected to Saint Hill, UK. I can’t imagine what my parents went through to transport us all half way round the world, it’s staggering.

When we arrived there was no promised accomodation so we hid out at some house that was empty that someone knew about for a few days, until better things were arranged. I remember it was mouldy and damp and bare and there was another family there too. The kids had to hide when someone came close. Not a good start, but the die was cast and we were there. October 1968.

Saint Hill at that time was an exciting place to be. So many people of all nationalities. Reception was down by the Chapel with the Canteen opposite, the hang out place for students. It was fascinating and ever changing. I remember when I saw snow for the first time, and once even rolling all the way down the driveway in the snow, what fun.

Needless to say, I was soon recruited. What else was there to do? I had left school and had no intention of going back in a new country, and Scn was going to save the world anyway. I enjoyed my post and soon took on the same post on FND as well. Something went wrong there though, I can’t remember details but my first taste of ethics was being offloaded from FND as ‘deadwood’. It didn’t bother me too much, I was still working days! Sometimes I was so tired I toddled off to the loo for a nap, the pace was pretty frantic.

My new found freedom led to me falling instantly in love and becoming pregant. I was 16. It was like time sped up. I was being recruited for the GO but it was decided I would be better in the SO! :confused2: I can’t remember how all this came about. I went to Edinburgh for a month to the new SO. Luckily Captn Phyl was wise enough to send me back to SH, or goodness knows what would have happened. She made up special ‘pregnancy’ exercises for me for the mornings instead of the usual and made sure I was looked after. I am grateful for that. So although I was berthed for a month and worked there, I didn’t actually start my billion year contract. It was postponed for another day, which thankfully never came. I was told I was SO anyway, as I had signed my contract (I remember having to look up 'billion') so to act that way. That was the elite thing that I hate so much.

But what to do with me now? Join the GO after all. I remember that day, it is seared into my mind. Crying because I didn’t want to go, but not knowing I had any other choice. I wanted to save the world but I felt so young and scared.

I’m going to skip this chapter for the moment. Though one incident that I recall is that we were all being sent to London to give out broadsheets. I CSW’d not to go, and it was not okayed, it was an all hands event. I was 8 months pregnant, it was freezing bloody cold and it was a nightmare standing on the streets trying to give away the broadsheets and picking them up again as they were dropped before being done for littering. The journey home is seared in my memory as being pregnant I needed a loo, but the coach couldn’t stop and I was in agony by the time we arrived at the Hill. :bigcry:

After I had my baby (I actually got to have a medical check up twice I think) I was back on post within 7 days, babe under desk. Not going into all the things that happened, I eventually blew in 1970. For the first time.

And the day after, I got married in Saint Hill Chapel. How did I manage that? I am still amazed. Only half the guests came, and I suppose the fact that any did was because they hadn’t heard!

More soon.

b ginn

Patron
Hi Free to shine, Really looking forward to hearing more of your story, as I'm sure others will be.

b ginn

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Wow. The church never changes. Never learns its lessens, now, do they.

Thank you for telling your story and I definitely look forward to the next installment!!!!

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
I'm glad you are telling your story :thumbsup: .

I look forward to the next installment!

(which reminds me - I need to finish my own story) :duh:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I have just been reading Mate's story and it helped stir a few memories. This part was so long ago, I think it will have to be in bits and pieces as it comes back. I still find it hard to talk about the early GO days, and I need to think on that some. The secrecy aspects were so much part of life I find it interesting to be still so affected! Very tired tonight, more tomorrow.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Wow. The church never changes. Never learns its lessens, now, do they.

Thank you for telling your story and I definitely look forward to the next installment!!!!

I think I was lucky really, I must have had a guardian angel or something. Things could have been much worse and were for many people in later years, which is so sad. Mothers and babies should be cared for with utmost priority, and families in general. I think in those early days they just didn't know what to do with me and I escaped some of the harsher handlings I have read about. :eyeroll: Abortion prospects did come up but I was 3 months before I told anyone so that was out of the question.

Last edited:

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
Welcome to the board' Free to Shine.'

Thank you for telling your story,its always good to hear other peoples stories.
Which reminds me,i have more to write.
Tamasin:)

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Continuing...

First of all I need to correct something. I was not actually in the GO at that point, it just seemed that way in memory when I wrote it. I worked in World Wide, which serviced the GO and ran the outer orgs and I was very involved in that and with the service of senior terminals like Jane Kember, David Gaiman and Herbie Parkhouse. So anyone who worked in the Manor was sort of “GO” to my mind. :) Heck, I even wrote an ED on something.

So much happened in a few short years that sorting the memories is an interesting exercise. I am more aware of the feelings involved than dates and specifics. So I will just write things as they come back.

Things changed rapidly during that period. I would have to research what was going on to align the changes, because I was so young and totally encapsulated in the reality of that internal world I had no idea what was happening on a bigger scale. What was actually a nice place to work (in the Monkey Room for those who know it) started to become unpredictably unsafe.

One day I came back from lunch and my desk had disappeared. I had been moved upstairs without warning and it was terribly upsetting to not be informed, just have it happen. That sort of thing. The normal rights seem to start to disappear. It was the period of heavy ethics and penalties started to be applied more. Like when you were in Liability, having to wear an armband etc.

Saint Hill was a beautiful place though and I have memories of walking down by the lake, even though it was OOB. :whistling: Walking through trees covered with snow and ice, a magical experience. There were so many lovely people sharing these life experiences there and I felt grateful to be part of it, despite the odd weird and nasty event. In retrospect it was those times of being away from my desk and the cameraderie that kept me going.

Unfortunately during this time I was raped by a student who I was silly enough to go for a walk with in the woods one day. I wasn’t hurt, except emotionally, and so shocked by what happened and the guilt of “pulling it in” that I didn’t tell anybody. After all, he was an upstat and respected older student and who would believe me? It took 30 years for that to come out and be acknowledged. I cried for a week when I first told someone, and actually it has had a lot to do with my subsequent healing.

This is the sort of thing that interests me, as it reflects the values of the group. I did not feel safe enough to report a rape, and lived with the certainty for many years that it was all my fault. Of course this is not unusual with rape, but here was I in the midst of the supposedly most safe place on the planet, and I could not tell ANYONE.

Back to my story….

The crunch came for me when one week I was assigned Danger or something and was not allowed to leave the premises, get food, shower etc etc. There was nothing I could do immediately to get my stats up and I ended up having to try and find somewhere to sleep the night. A friend whispered that there was a key to LRH’s camera/photography room she could get, so we spent the night there. No-one knew, and it was an interesting place! I blew shortly after that, right after my wedding and I will always remember the profound relief and excitement during the drive away from Saint Hill that day.

My new husband and I went to Scotland and after a while began to help out at a mission there. We had not been declared, and I did want to return to my family and what I still felt was the only way of life that had any sense. Life in a small Scottish village didn’t suit me, and I soon found my husband was as crazy as you could imagine. Isolated way up north, one day I couldn’t take it as he was starting to become more and more crazy in his actions, so I knew I had to get out. I got a train from one end of the country to the other and it was, for me, a terrifying experience. However I was befriended by a solider on his way back to London. I didn’t trust him at first, I was so scared (remember I was a niave 18 year old) but he bought me lunch, chatted quitely and calmed my fears. When the train reached London he found a cab for me back to EG and waved goodbye. I have never forgotten him, and thank him for looking after me.

May 1971. I was back at Saint Hill.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
My crazy husband followed me. I decided to try again, I can’t for the life of me remember why! However over the next year or so he went totally nuts. He had ‘monsters’ that shadowed him, he would end up cowering in terror in a corner of a room. He shaved his head totally and threatened suicide many times. I hadn’t gone back on staff, but he was still a threat to the organisation. He threatened to have me deported and it was becoming a serious situation. The GO were involved of course and I was informed that it had come up in one of his sessions that he had been given ECT when he was a child, (during a school trip to Russia) and that he was a plant! He had told me about the trip, whether it was true or not I don’t know, but I am sure the rest is absolute rubbish. I was ordered to handle it, and in fact my landlord was told that he wouldn't get his OT levels if he did not get him off the premises, and thankfully he was persuaded to leave peacefully.

He was a sad, deluded bloke with problems who was attracted to a ‘religion’ that he thought may have helped him. Anyway, I have never seen or heard from him again, other than swapping divorce papers.

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Wow, FTS!!!

I've heard other stories from females in Scientology where after a sexual assault, they were told that they "pulled it in".

Incredible!

So this student was an "upstat"?

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Wow, FTS!!!

I've heard other stories from females in Scientology where after a sexual assault, they were told that they "pulled it in".

Incredible!

So this student was an "upstat"?

Alanzo, the thing is that I didn't have to have someone tell me I "pulled it in", it was already so much part of my thinking that it was a foregone conclusion. So there was no point telling anyone because I already knew I was at fault and I didn't want it to become BPI and make the situation even more difficult.

Yes he was a European student who was doing well on course and to that degree I felt he was protected, and more likely to be believed if I ever said anything. It was difficult when I saw him around later though, as he had told me not to say anything and acted as if nothing had happened. I made sure to avoid him at all costs. It makes me wonder now if it happened to anyone else. :unsure:

Last edited:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Alanzo, the thing is that I didn't have to have someone tell me I "pulled it in", it was already so much part of my thinking that it was a foregone conclusion. So there was no point telling anyone because I already knew I was at fault and I didn't want it to become BPI and make the situation even more difficult.

Yes he was a European student who was doing well on course and to that degree I felt he was protected, and more likely to be believed if I ever said anything. It was difficult when I saw him around later though, he acted as if nothing had happened and I made sure to avoid him at all costs. It makes me wonder now if it happened to anyone else. :unsure:

And, about the last thing you need now is to think that you fucked up back then :)

Thanks for telling your story. The more you remember, the more it will help other people; both those in similar situations and those who aren't, but need to 'calibrate' their own reality.

Your story is a bit of reality we all need to know where we are now.

Thanks

Zinj

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
And, about the last thing you need now is to think that you fucked up back then :)

Thanks for telling your story. The more you remember, the more it will help other people; both those in similar situations and those who aren't, but need to 'calibrate' their own reality.

Your story is a bit of reality we all need to know where we are now.

Thanks

Zinj

Thanks - I was thinking about that today. By reliving some events it's exorcising some ghosts, though it's not pleasant. I find myself immersed in a mish mash of memories that I did not think I needed to visit again and had been dealt with. Yet my purpose is for myself, and perhaps others, to find those indoctrinating beliefs that can still affect a life so long after I thought they had gone.

And one of those is "you pulled it in". That is such a mind control concept, because you can never be right! There is supposed to be no blame, shame and regret, and so accepting full responsibility for ANYTHING that happens to you has been a burden I carried all my life. I did it, I caused it, it was my fault sort of shit. What a terrible, ineffective and pathetic person to not be able to 'make it go right', to be abused and in supposed victim mode. :angry: That keeps the door open for it to continue. But I didn’t know anything else.

If I fucked up back then, I now know it was a matter of self esteem, of being convinced I was not capable of thinking for myself, or that I had any rights beyond the ones the group allowed me, as long as I did what I was told. I am ok with all this now, really, and it is because of true friends that I survived to shine on. :happydance:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Moving right along

I didn’t rejoin staff at that time (1971) but instead ventured out into the world. What an experience, as I had no concept of what it was like to have a normal job. So my intensive education of myself was to be able to pass for normal. :ohmy: I managed it reasonably well and found out what it was like to buy myself clothes and THINGS. I met people too, and they didn’t bite or cause me to cave in. I ended up working in the same company as another ex staff, she helped me a lot but got sacked I think for speaking out about something. I often wondered what happened to her.
I did a lot of volunteer work, like Reception SH.

Case wise I had been audited up the grades by a family member. I did the HSDC and lots of staff hatting. I bought an intensive for NED I think. Over the years I ended up having my grades single flow, triple flow, quad flow and Expanded. Method I. I hated NED and ended up getting very frustrated and making up space opera events. They read…hey! I didn’t really, in my heart of hearts, ever feel that I gained anything from the auditing, other than say relief from ruds. Of course this thought could never be expressed, in ANY way. However during a session with a lovely lady I apparently voiced the Clear cog and she went to bat for me to be able to attest to it. There was much consultation and disagreement and I remember her banging someone’s desk in her determination that it would not be dismissed. I was allowed to attest to “keyed-out Clear”. This was before everyone and his dog attested to Clear, that came later.
All I knew is that I felt validated, that the thoughts I had told her were simply normal to me, that it was a state of how I had always been and had never put into words. I mean after all, I was far from the top of the Bridge.

I also was given special processes straight from LRH which he was supposedly going to C/S. I was a guinea pig, though happy at the time to do it, feeling very special. I think from what I have read now it was either L10 or L11, whole track O/Ws in there somewhere. Heavy stuff. I apparently did OK, I didn’t ever hear anything more about it that I can remember.

Mish mash memories

Being on Reception and having a woman run in screaming that her husband had just killed himself. I can’t remember who it was or what happened other than her wanting a GO person to make it right, and her extreme distress.

Being locked in a tent after some event where no-one was allowed to leave until they had signed up for their next level. The angry queue of people waiting to get out that door!

The secrecy.

Things that had to be done yesterday.

The drama of flaps to be handled.

Not having anything you had produced with blood sweat and tears taken into account or remembered beyond the time it happened.

Being so tired, and often hungry.

Being stressed about finding a lift into EG as it was an awfully long walk. I was once stopped by the police walking down that road, a young female late at night. They gave me a lift. Most of the time you waited in the car park until someone took you home, or close by. I remember the crowding of many more students into cars than was safe, especially when it was snowing.
Getting a lift with a US celebrity in his wonderful Lotus, what a trip that was!

Sitting on the grass above the Castle talking to people in the sun, that was good.

I’m sure there is more. Anyway in 1977 I decided my life was going nowhere in the UK and returned home.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Coffee break

Wanna hear something cool? My Dad is reading this thread and told me on the phone today he is proud of me for writing this. Most of my family is out now (there is only one left and I am concerned for that one) yet we have never all really discussed our different and varied experiences without reserve. My family is scattered all over the world, due to our early export to the UK, and not being sure of our individual Scn status at any particular time meant there are huge gaps in our ‘realities’. That is changing.

:dance3:

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Wanna hear something cool? My Dad is reading this thread and told me on the phone today he is proud of me for writing this. Most of my family is out now (there is only one left and I am concerned for that one) yet we have never all really discussed our different and varied experiences without reserve. My family is scattered all over the world, due to our early export to the UK, and not being sure of our individual Scn status at any particular time meant there are huge gaps in our ‘realities’. That is changing.

:dance3:

This is so wonderful!!!! I am very happy for you!!

ozzie

Patron with Honors
Great story Free to Shine!

I probably know you - I did much the same - came from another country toUK in 1967, was there all the way through November 1971 when I went away to Flag ship Apollo. Was staff at WW originally, then AOSHUK.
I used to type and print all the GO issues (except of course the really confidential ones). Jane Kember used to scare the crap out of me.

I also remember walking miles into East Grinstead and then out to where I lived in Forest Row. In the snow, rain and good weather.

I also remember a foreign student doing to the same to me. Our stories are so similiar it is unreal.

My parents are declared. I have two siblings still in and one missing in action.

Maybe one day I will write my story.

Look forward to reading more. :yes:

Ozzie