What's new

My story and exodus out

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Miscavige revised Hubbard's books into a form that suited his purposes better than the originals. Some people have done good work tracking the changes. There is another reason though, I suspect. I suspect that Miscavige hated Hubbard, and still hates him. Hubbard was an abusive tyrant and Miscavige was a kid who ran around for him and listened to his screaming fits and temper tantrums. I can imagine him raising a glass of the best single malt to Hubbard's portrait and saying "Who'se the big guy now, fatso?" So I think part of the reason for altering the books was the pleasure of doing something that he knew Hubbard would have really, truly, hated.

But the 2007 editions are much better than the earlier ones, apart from the searing white paper that looks impressive but is hard on the eyes.

This counter-intuitive statement of mine is based on my side-by-side comparison, as detailed in this thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?2678-Comparison-of-Book-Editions. I have seen heaps and heaps of criticism based on the opinion that Miscavige would have screwed it up, but I have seen NO word-for-word comparison with reasoning for why the change is better or worse except for my own. Not one.

I expected the 2007 books to be worse too. But they weren't. The money-grubbing Basics push and library donos and stuff are criminal, but that is different to the texts themselves.

Look don't listen, and all that. :)

Paul

Smilla

Ordinary Human
But the 2007 editions are much better than the earlier ones, apart from the searing white paper that looks impressive but is hard on the eyes.

This counter-intuitive statement of mine is based on my side-by-side comparison, as detailed in this thread: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?2678-Comparison-of-Book-Editions. I have seen heaps and heaps of criticism based on the opinion that Miscavige would have screwed it up, but I have seen NO word-for-word comparison with reasoning for why the change is better or worse except for my own. Not one.

I expected the 2007 books to be worse too. But they weren't. The money-grubbing Basics push and library donos and stuff are criminal, but that is different to the texts.

Paul

I'll take your word for that Paul, as you know much more than me. But I do think that there was an ego-driven revenge factor at work in Miscavige's motivation, as Hubbard was so VERY strong about not altering a word of his writing. I suspect that Hubbard believed in his abilities as a writer and considered his writing as sacrosanct, even though he knew that a lot of his other claims were ridiculous. One of the changes I'm aware of was a re-writing of the explanation of the second dynamic, but as I say, I'm no expert.

I expected the 2007 books to be worse too. But they weren't. The money-grubbing Basics push and library donos and stuff are criminal, but that is different to the texts themselves.

Paul

"Better" is a matter of taste. They are different from the original volumes which Hubbard had approved. There is no clear reason apart from financial considerations to justify the expense of the new books and the destruction of the earlier volumes.

Those original volumes were deemed adequate and many of the finest auditors ever produced within scientology, especially among ex's, trained on those volumes. Frankly the originals were no worse than many other similar books. Miscavige's insistence on the rewrites was clearly motivated more by his wish to exercise control over the membership than for any actual need for re-editing the original texts.

Mark A. Baker

Terril park

Sponsor
"Better" is a matter of taste. They are different from the original volumes which Hubbard had approved. There is no clear reason apart from financial considerations to justify the expense of the new books and the destruction of the earlier volumes.

Those original volumes were deemed adequate and many of the finest auditors ever produced within scientology, especially among ex's, trained on those volumes. Frankly the originals were no worse than many other similar books. Miscavige's insistence on the rewrites was clearly motivated more by his wish to exercise control over the membership than for any actual need for re-editing the original texts.

Mark A. Baker

income IMO.

Veda

Sponsor

Paul

Hush. You're ruining everything. Miscavige is supposed to be the off-Source anti-RON. Otherwise, he can't be used as a scapegoat, and used as the "popularly considered evil" which the outside-the-CofS Hubbard fan club people can attack, thus changing their image from unpopular Hubbard cultists to popular Hubbard cultists. Once Miscavige is gone, the popular Hubbard cultists can take over, and the "wogs," thoroughly perplexed, will become conveniently docile.

According to Jesse Prince, from 'The ever changing tech of Scientology', written in the year 2000:

"Miscavige is doing his best to forward Command Intention, which is contained in the huge LRH orders database of the INCOMM computer system of Scientology..."

http://www.ezlink.com/~perry/CoS/Theology/jesse.htm

Hubbard's dictation of 'Science of Survival' into a sound-recorder - in the middle of the night, aided by ample alcohol - is recounted by Richard DeMille in an interview. Many of his other books were similarly dictated. His then editor, John Sanborn, and a few transcribers, had the job of putting his words into sentences and paragraphs.

Scientologists can't accept the possibility that Hubbard didn't wish to take the time to compare the spoken record with the transcriptions and editings, just as they can't accept the idea that Hubbard did such things as redefine "Clear" for PR and marketing purposes.

"Mental healing" was a means to an end or objective, not the end or objective. The primary objective had very little to do with helping people or with spirituality.

Brainwashing-front.jpg

Last edited:

FoTi

Crusader
Welcome Lori, .... and thank you for your story. :welcome2:

Glad you were strong enough and smart enough to get out of there and also glad that you had parents to welcome you home and help you to get free of the cult.

Looking forward to the rest of your story when you feel you can safely post it here. :yes:

Lori

Cheryl E Love
Welcome Lori, .... and thank you for your story. :welcome2:

Glad you were strong enough and smart enough to get out of there and also glad that you had parents to welcome you home and help you to get free of the cult.

Looking forward to the rest of your story when you feel you can safely post it here. :yes:

I look forward to telling it. Next time I will be more readable I hope! :) my parents, family and friends are all wonderfuly supportive but, having no reality of the mind warp I went through for 11 years they cannot really
Understand. That is why I thank God for this forum! It helps the loneliness and fear I still experience.

shadow

Patron with Honors
Welcome Lori,
Thanks for the story. Loved the escape-> you rock!
You have made a great start on a better life journey. Not saying that reality is an easier route, it is just more real. I am so happy you have family support, and there are many here that can provide much guidance as well.

Looking forward to more of your story as you are ready to share (it can be rather cathartic for some). The totality of the stories provides a sort of confirmation to others, that what they experienced was neither isolated, nor something they "pulled in", but rather a systematic malignancy within scn. It is also important to add your voice, so that hopefully, the noise will get too much to be ignored.

FoTi

Crusader
I look forward to telling it. Next time I will be more readable I hope! :) my parents, family and friends are all wonderfuly supportive but, having no reality of the mind warp I went through for 11 years they cannot really
Understand. That is why I thank God for this forum! It helps the loneliness and fear I still experience.

I found it very helpful to tell my whole story from beginning to end.....it blew a lot of charge for me. I've been out for over 7 years now and I'm still undoing stuff as it surfaces. Each time something untangles, and I get freer of what was ingrained/indoctrinated in me, as a Scientologist, it is win for me.

If you are fearful of writing your story here, for whatever reason, perhaps you could start writing your story just for yourself, in your own computer. It helps just to write the stuff down. You might end up with a book that perhaps you could sell and that your relatives could read to better understand what you went through. Anyway, it's just an idea.

I'm glad you have joined us.

Lori

Cheryl E Love
Well.......here it is, almost 4 years since I made the leap to freedom and sanity (or a semblance of sanity) :coolwink:

I want to sincerely thank each and everyone of you here for "being there" for each other and for the newly awoken that are to come. I know with a certainty that you were, and still are, a lifeline to me in my continued growth.

I kept, until today, scions and scion groups as "friends" on facebook. I told myself that...."if suddenly I lost a hundred fb "friends" I would have a "heads up" and know to watch my back. But........you know what? I got up this morning and said the hell with it! I was not going to be frightened any longer. I deleted them all and now feel suddenly free! It's hard to describe. I feel bigger sonehow, stronger and ready for.......whatever.

One more hurdle, (talking to my "still in" family) and I just may take that step to post as ME and not hide behind a screen name any longer. THAT is going to be the hard part. Disconnection is a bitch!

I wish I had done this in time to go up for the SP party but am there in my heart. Have fun to all that do go and hugs!!

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Well.......here it is, almost 4 years since I made the leap to freedom and sanity (or a semblance of sanity) :coolwink:

I want to sincerely thank each and everyone of you here for "being there" for each other and for the newly awoken that are to come. I know with a certainty that you were, and still are, a lifeline to me in my continued growth.

I kept, until today, scions and scion groups as "friends" on facebook. I told myself that...."if suddenly I lost a hundred fb "friends" I would have a "heads up" and know to watch my back. But........you know what? I got up this morning and said the hell with it! I was not going to be frightened any longer. I deleted them all and now feel suddenly free! It's hard to describe. I feel bigger sonehow, stronger and ready for.......whatever.

One more hurdle, (talking to my "still in" family) and I just may take that step to post as ME and not hide behind a screen name any longer. THAT is going to be the hard part. Disconnection is a bitch!

I wish I had done this in time to go up for the SP party but am there in my heart. Have fun to all that do go and hugs!!

Good on you love!

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

I'm happy for you Lori ... and wish you luck with your family but I must warn you that if you lose them to disconnection it really, really hurts.

Tread lightly eh? I went at it like a bull in a china shop and have paid the price when maybe I (and they) need not have.

Having said that real freedom does seem to need complete honesty for many of us, its a tricky one but I hope you manage to walk that road smoothly.

:yes:

Lori

Cheryl E Love
Uh oh. I think I drew some attention with my major FB deletes. I suddenly am bombarded with friend requests from the ones deleted and others who never were my FB friends. :omg:

On the positive side.....No scion emails today. Not a single one! First day w/o emails galore in months!

Oh well.......let the fun begin i guess.

Gib

Crusader
It is hard to completely get the indoctrination out of my head. Some days I miss the wins I truly had. Some days I curse the day I heard of Scientology

I hear yah.

But, if you are the boss of your life, now,

that's cool.

I don't think you need any stink'in badges. or certificates, aye.

You betcha, :thumbsup: