What's new

My Story - Need Help On What To Do

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
There's only two people that have said certain people will be able to identify me. Not sure how as the info I have given is not very much.

That does not mean that others are not thinking about it and concerned for you. Quite a few of the particulars of your situation are not common, which makes it easier for someone lurking here for the church to figure out who you are.

Anyway, back to the original post of this thread. After reading all the comments and your replies,I wondered if you have been dependent on your father since you left Scientology.

Most parents would be encouraging their 25 year old child to go out on their own. Not just loving parents, but parents who don't want to enable their kid in being dependent upon them or others. Some parents just kick them out before that age, say if they don't get a job, if they don't contribute to the household.

Does he believe you have to be dependent on him? ...Like does he feel you are not capable of being independent?

NoName

A Girl Has No Name
What are you talking about? OSA is pretty busy these days. Shes not staff or SO. Her dad isn't a whale, he's a public who sounds like he struggles to make ends meet so he's probably not as tight with the local org as one wld think, they are only in your business if they think you have money. She is not involved as an active member anymore - so she's even less on the radar. So I don't think there's any reason to make her paranoid, ESP because she's given very little identifying details, she's been perfectly vague.

EDM4 is not in the SO or on staff. She realizes Scientology is a cult and is out. She's got her freedom, she's a 25 year old adult. The main issues are she still lives with her dad and her crippling fears, some fears stemming from Scientology but others just the same fears/struggles all young adults trying to be independent face.

She's been baby-watched though, and I can tell you some crazy shit that I know goes on with people in very similar situations to her. Like parents freaking out and ransacking their adult children's bedrooms looking for evidence of the adult child seeing a "psych". And I'm talking about adult children who are SUPPORTING their still-in parents financially.

That said, I generally agree that OSA in a condition of overwhelm and has better things to do than target someone like the OP. BUT, a dying viper snake ain't as harmless as a dead one. In fact, sometimes a dying viper is the most dangerous of all. How they've tried to smoke me out is interesting (and not for public discussion) - but I know they suspect IRL me is active on entheta sites and I've not given them the satisfaction of reacting in public.

I will also add that the things that have been done to me are, at best, sophomoric. The bigger harm to me would have resulted if I'd come on here and say, "Hey, someone did [specifics] to me and I think it might be the cult!" Then they could figure out my identity and disconnect the people I cared about from me.

But fuck them. I didn't give them the satisfaction, and I got out most of the people I wanted to get out.

FUCK YOU DAVEY!!!!

I know people's experience is all over the place on this, and I respect that. I really do. But to say that there is low risk to the OP would be just as misleading as saying that what happened to me is definitely going to happen to her. Because I can't say that her experience could vary either way - I know that it depends completely on things like geography and status within the cult - both of which are working against me.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I've been targetted, I assume for posting here but it could also be for my IRL subversive acts. But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a celeb and may be higher value for the cult.

Thanks. Did you mean celeb like in entertainment industry celebrity, or as in other non-entertainment industry 'opinion leader'?

AnonLover

Patron Meritorious
EDM4 - if family is out the question for an alternative place to live to get on your feet, then it sounds like finding a roommate(s) situation might be a good first step for you. A lot of young people get out on their own by sharing an apartment with others. Craigslist or classifieds in a local paper is good place to look if you don't have friends or coworkers who are in similar situation where they need to find a place to live.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I feel like I can't go to another family member about this. I'm scared for the most part. I know my father looks down on me in a lot of ways. He has sacrificed a lot and is narcissistic to a fault. He even has a framed poem with his name on it about being a genius and what a genius is. It is crazy. I am in the process of getting a good job and getting out on my own, but I have some sort of fear. I think it was because I was isolated by myself twice under Scientology terms ("baby watch"). I was afraid that I would even kill myself and at one point I was scared of water because I thought I would slip and fall.

Scientology traumatizes people, in my opinion. It is completely inhumane and cruel beyond belief.

Here is one link (there are hundreds of them regarding trauma and how to recover)

http://afternarcissisticabuse.wordpress.com/life/complex-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-c-ptsd/

Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD) is a condition that results from chronic or long-term exposure to emotional trauma over which a victim has little or no control and from which there is little or no hope of escape, such as in cases of:

• domestic emotional, physical or sexual abuse
  • childhood emotional, physical or sexual abuse
  • entrapment or kidnapping.
  • slavery or enforced labor.
  • long term imprisonment and torture
  • repeated violations of personal boundaries.
  • long-term objectification.
  • exposure to gaslighting & false accusations
  • long-term exposure to inconsistent, push-pull, splitting or alternating raging & hoovering behaviors.
  • long-term taking care of mentally ill or chronically sick family members.
  • long term exposure to crisis conditions.

"Traumatic stress is found in many competent, healthy, strong, good people.

No one can completely protect themselves from traumatic experiences.

Many people have long-lasting problems following exposure to trauma.

Up to 8% of persons will have PTSD at some time in their lives.

People who react to traumas are not going crazy.

What is happening to them is part of a set of common symptoms and problems that are connected with being in a traumatic situation, and thus, is a normal reaction to abnormal events and experiences.

Having symptoms after a traumatic event is NOT a sign of personal weakness. Given exposure to a trauma that is bad enough, probably all people would develop PTSD.

By understanding trauma symptoms better, a person can become less fearful of them and better able to manage them. By recognizing the effects of trauma and knowing more about symptoms, a person will be better able to decide about getting treatment.

Last edited:

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've been targetted, I assume for posting here but it could also be for my IRL subversive acts. But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a celeb and may be higher value for the cult.

What are IRL subversive acts? I wonder if I have done them? :blush:

Innominate Dude

No Longer Around
. . . I've been struggling hard with getting a good paying job so I can finally leave my house. . . . My father and I don't talk. I'm very upset with him that he's "donated" thousands of dollars and doesn't even bother to help me. . . . My dilemma here is how do I move on and earn enough money to leave? Also, how do I gain support?

I can relate to your plight. I was raised in a Scientology family, which often left me feeling an outsider to all non-Scientology social sets. I became just as alienated from Scientology in my late teens, leaving me totally socially isolated, alienated from most lifestyles and career choices, and worried about how to make my way in the world. I spent a lot of time "drifting" as they say, and wondering what in the world I was going to do as an adult and how I could start living independently. Any non-Scientology relatives I had were too remote, too lacking in resources, or both, to help me. I'll skip over things that didn't work well and give some highlights on what I learned about digging out of that rut:

1. Really desirable jobs are seldom advertised, but a fallback jobs/job skills that match frequently advertised positions will almost always include bookkeeping and accounting - with computer skills to do it modernly. Throughout my life there have always been advertised slots for skilled accounting clerks/bookkeepers in any newspaper want ads I've ever read. It's a good safety net to focus on getting some education and job experience in bookkeeping/accounting. I gained enough qualifications to be offered some very desirable accounting clerk slots merely from adult night school offered by the local high school district at very little expense. It you take these subjects in a step by step way you can acquire the necessary skill. You may never get rich working clerically in an accounting department, but they often turn out to be living wage jobs very much worth having.

2. Really desirable jobs are seldom advertised, but you can bump into them readily if you work through a temporary service and show a good work ethic and cheerful approach to all tasks. People often try to fill positions important to their company, if on a level that can be done by temps, by hiring a succession of them and observing each of the people reporting to the assignment to see if there is a good candidate. This is a more certain way of hiring the right staff than advertising for a job and relying on brief interviews to sort out the genuine prospects from the suspects. If you have computer skills, and especially accounting oriented computer skills like ability with spreadsheets, double entry computer programs or such, working as a temp for about a year should land you at least one great offer of a stable job that pays a living wage.

3. If desperate for a job, simply go door to door of the businesses in town and ask if they need any extra help at times. Don't wait for advertisements or invitations. Take care to mention that you are in the process of canvasing every business around to see who needs help. "Anything the rest of the staff likes to avoid doing, for instance." There are always tasks in a business people try to avoid but are in fact important to do or else management wouldn't create the task in the first place. The law of averages says you'll get some luck with this approach, even if it is merely a referral to someone else who might be hiring a "go-getter" like yourself. This can generate survival cash and often lead to a very desirable offer somewhere. This approach of (1) bravely canvassing everyone and (2) having a good attitude about whatever the task may be distinguishes you from other job seekers who aren't as brave as that, and it impresses the hell out of many employers to meet someone who actually will do this. The key is to carefully not intrude upon the decision maker of the business when with a customer or otherwise clearly too busy, to be cheerful and upbeat about the conversation and to accept gracefully any answer. You often can find people will refer you to someone who does need someone like you to help out, though they personally don't have need of extra help at present.

4. Seek to live at first and for a while after leaving home in a rented house with many housemates, preferably in a college town if you can. Skip studios and apartments - go for the jointly rented house. Trying to afford your own apartment sounds like the next step from living at home, but there is an IMMENSE advantage in mingling with about 4-5 other housemates PLUS whatever social networks they may have going. I first did this simply to afford rent after living in very unsatisfactory conditions on my own, and found out what a life changer it can be for a young adult to live with a large set of housemates. Even a meager McJob wage can help you afford this kind of living. The real boost it gave me was to see that other people's lives seldom follow stereotypical scripts that you might think you need to follow for success and independence. Real life happens to people with stellar academic records and bright prospects who need to interrupt their lives for a rehab visit, and real life happens to people who you'd think have meager prospects but are brave enough to get out there and scratch and are envied for the opportunities they find by those people with stellar academic records and background. The experience of living with 5 other housemates revitalized my entire life. I moved beyond being someone originally alienated from the "wog" world by my upbringing and alienated from the Scientology world because I detested its corruptness and how often it attracted unscrupulous and callous people into it. I went from that to someone thrilled with all the prospects before me. I actually decided to go to college from this first experience.

5. Be willing to try out the conventional "helping" sets in society. This includes psychological counseling agencies that are often priced on ability to pay, and various religious groups who offer introductory classes in their denomination's views or other forms of initial participation in activities.
You'll find some religious groups show you very promptly that you want no further contact with them, but simply break off contact with them. Groups with Scientology's leach-like grip on anyone in reach is not a universal trait of religious groups. This broadening of religious exposure is helpful to you, if for nothing more than teaching you that there is a vast pool of people out there injured by their own families religious background, which wasn't Scientology. You are far from alone. It can teach you that there are so many unprovable religioius ideas out there that Scientology's little package of them aren't that important to fuss over. The real point is to commit to principles that you feel make you a good or better person. And actually many religious people are not doctrinaire so much as practical about life choices and their consequences. Many of them are genuinely helpful, even if the help is imperfect.
It was a very big step for me to actually visit a licensed psychologists and then also a psychiatrist for medication to help with the depression I fell into at one point. It was worthwhile though, and I found all the indoctrination I'd received about psychs as willing to do anything underhanded to seize control of you are nonsense. Modern therapists are about "client centered" counseling and bolstering independence, not trying to take over your life or deride you for religious background or beliefs.

The above 5 points are what I'd write to myself as a young adult if I could as the very best advice for how to dig out of the raised-in-Scientology rut and achieve an independent and worthwhile life. I'll mention in addition, though, that I think you should simply stop talking about Scientology with people. Their opinion of it doesn't matter, there are a lot of assholes who aren't the least bit interested in being helpful about what you have to relate in the first place, and frankly what is behind you in life doesn't control your life going forward. Also, accept that your dad is kind of a judgmental and stingy prick. There are worse character flaws in life and worse fathers to have than that. Also, IT ISN'T NECESSARY FOR YOU TO HAVE GOOD COMMUNICATION WITH HIM - because judgmental and stingy pricks are never really good for you in the first place. Do not let a relationship with any other person be the critical test of whether you are going to succeed in life the way you wish to. Your life doesn't revolve around improving your relationship with your father, it revolves around improving your life. Let years pass, perhaps even a decade, and notice if he's interested in improving relations with you on his initiative. If not, then just accept that no one was ever dealt a completely winning hand in life, there are always bad cards dealt you, and having this as your father is simply one of them. Focus on something else to make life fulfilling. He may, though, be willing to help finance your education or other efforts towards independence if he sees you making a serious well planned effort, even if he is a prick generally. It has to do with motives almost all fathers have, callous prick Scientology fathers or not. And this may sound hard or harsh for me to say, but there's merit in not teaching someone "learned helplessness", like simply giving them cash despite this not being critical to support some earnest effort they are clearly making to become independent. Your father may be doing you a favor in not being as generous as you'd like, though its a favor that is kind of hard to receive.

Perhaps on a final note, "real life" happened to me by getting severe depression after everything was starting to look so great for me. As I related, living with a large bunch of housemates and enjoying each of their social circles revitalized my life immensely. I went on to college and wound up graduating with top honors from a respected university in a very difficult area of study. I had been a mere drifter uncertain if I really even belong in this world just a few years earlier and had become someone who felt immense pride and self-worth when I graduated. I had enrolled in each semester of college certain that this next one would be the one to kill my dreams of becoming highly educated, but fought like hell to make it through each one as it came along, and surprised myself by actually succeeding and getting a degree. The economy I graduated into was abysmal for someone of my qualifications, wasn't hiring and wouldn't be for person with that type of education for years to come. After a while I began to wonder if struggling to make something of myself wasn't a stupid thing to have done and if maybe there really isn't ever a way for a person like me to find a place in the world. Maybe just killing myself was the best choice, and I'd have realized it sooner if I wasn't deluding myself about ever being able to fit into the world. Depression strikes many adults at some point, often for no really good reason, and it can be fatal sometimes. It isn't something that you can just snap out of or somehow shows you have defective character, etc. Make plans for how you might cope with it should you encounter it, which you might as the next phase of your life just after something great is achieved or happens for you. Downloading off the internet a book on "cognitive behavioral therapy for depression" from a torrent site or Googling this topic to find out about it is probably the best thing you can do to prepare for this possibility. "Cognitive behavioral therapy for depression" is an amazing advance in psychology that is almost as effective as drug therapy for digging out of depression. I'd recommend it as reading for everyone, either as a fallback for themselves or to point out to someone who needs it so they know about it.

Lord Xenu

Patron Meritorious
But at least out here, you have a CHANCE. A very good chance, because you WANT IT. Hang in there.

:console:[/QUOTE]

A very good point. Once you say to yourself 'this is the situation, I have to leave for my own good' you have started. How easy or difficult it is has a lot to do with your own strength. I had to say to myself (even though I had known for many years) that many of my flesh and blood relatives were not to be trusted and did not have my interests at heart. It has been quite a journey reclaiming my life back, but now I have done it I wish I'd had the fortitude to do it sooner. You have support and advice available here
.:thumbsup:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I question what I even want to do with my life. It's very scary. I feel looked down upon and I am not sure how to go about doing college when I want to get out of my house and I wouldn't have enough money.

I appreciate that you read and thought a bit about my suggestion.

For certain you are not the only one who questions what they want to do in life. There are two places that come to mind that help individuals with that.

1) your local job/employment center
2) your local college

I highly recommend you get your feet a walkin that a way regardless of the fear. When you get to one of them you can let them know how scared you feel and they will take that into account in helping you. I know, I know it is hard to get in motion on this. You likely can even register online and communicate via emails if you are uncomfortable about going 'in person'

Money IS available for someone who wants to A) wants to get away from an abusive environment and or B) wants to get some more education.

There is nothing wrong at all with trying out different studies or different jobs. That is a great way to find out what you enjoy doing and what you absolutely abhor doing. Trying things out is a great way to narrow down what is best for you. There is a world of difference between 'thinking it over' and actually physically 'doing it'.

Fear, in its many forms such as fear of failure, fear of rejection and ...you can probably put in your own fear(s) there, is fairly common a lot of people experience it and if you can just accept that you will experience some little or a lot of it trying to 'kick you in the teeth' then you can move to the next step. ACT anyhow, the most likely thing that will happen is that you end up putting your attention on the thing you are doing and the fear diminishes and may go away completely.

It is not easy trying to help you and I too feel some fear that I might say the wrong thing to you but to hell with it. I typed this, and it is in response to you overcoming your fear(scary) you had when you first posted. Now look at ya...dang you are firing off responses left and right. Who is winning? The fear that said don't post because.........or the action of posting and .....what did it bring? Probably NOT what the fear told you would happen. I could be in error(wrong) here but so what....I for sure will discover something.

Keep at it. Now I will go read the rest of the thread because I am only as far as the post of yours that I quoted.

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
Even as I am reading this, I am compartmentalizing Scientology terms with people and situations. I'm scared that I will run into something worse than what I am already dealing with and I don't want to make a mistake.

Being afraid to make a mistake is a young person's thing, kind of normal. :) Try to think of it a bit differently. When you make a mistake, recognize you can do something about it, do something different. Change horses, and go another direction. Make amends,if necessary. There are repercussions for some mistakes, but most young mistakes are minor and correctable, without lasting effects. And youth is the best time to do it, but it can be done at any time. How else are you going to learn?

Yes, you need someone to talk to about these things, since your dad isn't there for you. But then maybe he doesn't know that it is OK to make a mistake, admit wrong. :duh: I mean, if he could do that, he'd probably have gotten out of scno/co$. So you are very much on your own, as a young person. You need to know that young people often feel like you do. It's OK. Find someone to talk with, and don't dismiss a short term therapy either. You'd be surprised how much it helps to have someone to talk to/with. If it is the money, having to pay someone for therapy, THAT I get, :lol:. After being ripped off by scno/co$, I can see how one would be gun shy about ever 'paying' for 'help' ever again. Fair enough. So find someone trustworthy, NOT A SCNO, and talk through what is going on with you. It will become more clear, and you will feel more secure when you can air out your fears. If you disguise your identity, :unsure: change names, date, ages, sexes, and jumble up circumstances a bit, etc., you can write about it here with some sense of safety and protection. It's OK to lie to protect yourself, your identity, in this case.

Hang in there. You are doing fine. :clap: Better than your dad. :yes:

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron

I can relate to your plight. I was raised in a Scientology family, which often left me feeling an outsider to all non-Scientology social sets. I became just as alienated from Scientology in my late teens, leaving me totally socially isolated, alienated from most lifestyles and career choices, and worried about how to make my way in the world. I spent a lot of time "drifting" as they say, and wondering what in the world I was going to do as an adult and how I could start living independently. Any non-Scientology relatives I had were too remote, too lacking in resources, or both, to help me. I'll skip over things that didn't work well and give some highlights on what I learned about digging out of that rut:

1. Really desirable jobs are seldom advertised, but a fallback jobs/job skills that match frequently advertised positions will almost always include bookkeeping and accounting - with computer skills to do it modernly. Throughout my life there have always been advertised slots for skilled accounting clerks/bookkeepers in any newspaper want ads I've ever read. It's a good safety net to focus on getting some education and job experience in bookkeeping/accounting. I gained enough qualifications to be offered some very desirable accounting clerk slots merely from adult night school offered by the local high school district at very little expense. It you take these subjects in a step by step way you can acquire the necessary skill. You may never get rich working clerically in an accounting department, but they often turn out to be living wage jobs very much worth having.

2. Really desirable jobs are seldom advertised, but you can bump into them readily if you work through a temporary service and show a good work ethic and cheerful approach to all tasks. People often try to fill positions important to their company, if on a level that can be done by temps, by hiring a succession of them and observing each of the people reporting to the assignment to see if there is a good candidate. This is a more certain way of hiring the right staff than advertising for a job and relying on brief interviews to sort out the genuine prospects from the suspects. If you have computer skills, and especially accounting oriented computer skills like ability with spreadsheets, double entry computer programs or such, working as a temp for about a year should land you at least one great offer of a stable job that pays a living wage.

3. If desperate for a job, simply go door to door of the businesses in town and ask if they need any extra help at times. Don't wait for advertisements or invitations. Take care to mention that you are in the process of canvasing every business around to see who needs help. "Anything the rest of the staff likes to avoid doing, for instance." There are always tasks in a business people try to avoid but are in fact important to do or else management wouldn't create the task in the first place. The law of averages says you'll get some luck with this approach, even if it is merely a referral to someone else who might be hiring a "go-getter" like yourself. This can generate survival cash and often lead to a very desirable offer somewhere. This approach of (1) bravely canvassing everyone and (2) having a good attitude about whatever the task may be distinguishes you from other job seekers who aren't as brave as that, and it impresses the hell out of many employers to meet someone who actually will do this. The key is to carefully not intrude upon the decision maker of the business when with a customer or otherwise clearly too busy, to be cheerful and upbeat about the conversation and to accept gracefully any answer. You often can find people will refer you to someone who does need someone like you to help out, though they personally don't have need of extra help at present.

4. Seek to live at first and for a while after leaving home in a rented house with many housemates, preferably in a college town if you can. Skip studios and apartments - go for the jointly rented house. Trying to afford your own apartment sounds like the next step from living at home, but there is an IMMENSE advantage in mingling with about 4-5 other housemates PLUS whatever social networks they may have going. I first did this simply to afford rent after living in very unsatisfactory conditions on my own, and found out what a life changer it can be for a young adult to live with a large set of housemates. Even a meager McJob wage can help you afford this kind of living. The real boost it gave me was to see that other people's lives seldom follow stereotypical scripts that you might think you need to follow for success and independence. Real life happens to people with stellar academic records and bright prospects who need to interrupt their lives for a rehab visit, and real life happens to people who you'd think have meager prospects but are brave enough to get out there and scratch and are envied for the opportunities they find by those people with stellar academic records and background. The experience of living with 5 other housemates revitalized my entire life. I moved beyond being someone originally alienated from the "wog" world by my upbringing and alienated from the Scientology world because I detested its corruptness and how often it attracted unscrupulous and callous people into it. I went from that to someone thrilled with all the prospects before me. I actually decided to go to college from this first experience.

5. Be willing to try out the conventional "helping" sets in society. This includes psychological counseling agencies that are often priced on ability to pay, and various religious groups who offer introductory classes in their denomination's views or other forms of initial participation in activities.
You'll find some religious groups show you very promptly that you want no further contact with them, but simply break off contact with them. Groups with Scientology's leach-like grip on anyone in reach is not a universal trait of religious groups. This broadening of religious exposure is helpful to you, if for nothing more than teaching you that there is a vast pool of people out there injured by their own families religious background, which wasn't Scientology. You are far from alone. It can teach you that there are so many unprovable religioius ideas out there that Scientology's little package of them aren't that important to fuss over. The real point is to commit to principles that you feel make you a good or better person. And actually many religious people are not doctrinaire so much as practical about life choices and their consequences. Many of them are genuinely helpful, even if the help is imperfect.
It was a very big step for me to actually visit a licensed psychologists and then also a psychiatrist for medication to help with the depression I fell into at one point. It was worthwhile though, and I found all the indoctrination I'd received about psychs as willing to do anything underhanded to seize control of you are nonsense. Modern therapists are about "client centered" counseling and bolstering independence, not trying to take over your life or deride you for religious background or beliefs.

The above 5 points are what I'd write to myself as a young adult if I could as the very best advice for how to dig out of the raised-in-Scientology rut and achieve an independent and worthwhile life. I'll mention in addition, though, that I think you should simply stop talking about Scientology with people. Their opinion of it doesn't matter, there are a lot of assholes who aren't the least bit interested in being helpful about what you have to relate in the first place, and frankly what is behind you in life doesn't control your life going forward. Also, accept that your dad is kind of a judgmental and stingy prick. There are worse character flaws in life and worse fathers to have than that. Also, IT ISN'T NECESSARY FOR YOU TO HAVE GOOD COMMUNICATION WITH HIM - because judgmental and stingy pricks are never really good for you in the first place. Do not let a relationship with any other person be the critical test of whether you are going to succeed in life the way you wish to. Your life doesn't revolve around improving your relationship with your father, it revolves around improving your life. Let years pass, perhaps even a decade, and notice if he's interested in improving relations with you on his initiative. If not, then just accept that no one was ever dealt a completely winning hand in life, there are always bad cards dealt you, and having this as your father is simply one of them. Focus on something else to make life fulfilling. He may, though, be willing to help finance your education or other efforts towards independence if he sees you making a serious well planned effort, even if he is a prick generally. It has to do with motives almost all fathers have, callous prick Scientology fathers or not. And this may sound hard or harsh for me to say, but there's merit in not teaching someone "learned helplessness", like simply giving them cash despite this not being critical to support some earnest effort they are clearly making to become independent. Your father may be doing you a favor in not being as generous as you'd like, though its a favor that is kind of hard to receive.

Perhaps on a final note, "real life" happened to me by getting severe depression after everything was starting to look so great for me. As I related, living with a large bunch of housemates and enjoying each of their social circles revitalized my life immensely. I went on to college and wound up graduating with top honors from a respected university in a very difficult area of study. I had been a mere drifter uncertain if I really even belong in this world just a few years earlier and had become someone who felt immense pride and self-worth when I graduated. I had enrolled in each semester of college certain that this next one would be the one to kill my dreams of becoming highly educated, but fought like hell to make it through each one as it came along, and surprised myself by actually succeeding and getting a degree. The economy I graduated into was abysmal for someone of my qualifications, wasn't hiring and wouldn't be for person with that type of education for years to come. After a while I began to wonder if struggling to make something of myself wasn't a stupid thing to have done and if maybe there really isn't ever a way for a person like me to find a place in the world. Maybe just killing myself was the best choice, and I'd have realized it sooner if I wasn't deluding myself about ever being able to fit into the world. Depression strikes many adults at some point, often for no really good reason, and it can be fatal sometimes. It isn't something that you can just snap out of or somehow shows you have defective character, etc. Make plans for how you might cope with it should you encounter it, which you might as the next phase of your life just after something great is achieved or happens for you. Downloading off the internet a book on "cognitive behavioral therapy for depression" from a torrent site or Googling this topic to find out about it is probably the best thing you can do to prepare for this possibility. "Cognitive behavioral therapy for depression" is an amazing advance in psychology that is almost as effective as drug therapy for digging out of depression. I'd recommend it as reading for everyone, either as a fallback for themselves or to point out to someone who needs it so they know about it.

:wow: OUTSTANDING ! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS. :clap: :wow:

Terril park

Sponsor
[

Brilliant!

How to get a job and improve your life for dummies.

Apart from a few years on staff I've most of the time been self employed
so have not much experience of what you write.

Self employment is another possible direction.

Becoming a cab driver is very easy to do and brings in money immediately
Did it for a couple of years. Limo driver is better paid but not sure if that's easy to start.

edit: Although I live in the UK I know quite a few people in the states. I know some areas or states have poor job prospects, and
some are much better. Worth bearing that in mind.

olska

Silver Meritorious Patron

This is some of the best advice I've read EVER for a young person wanting -- but scared -- to get out on their own, from just about ANY uncomfortable situation! Thank you thank you thank you!

EDM4EVER, while everyone on this thread cares about you, here's the step-by-step practical advice that will get you there... if you already have some kind of job with even a little income, start with point #4 and just MOVE! then do the other things. I've highlighted a point I think will help you get past your scientology background. If you need to talk about it, do that HERE at ESMB, not out there in the world in the new life you'll be starting.

The best place to start college is the local Community College -- it's cheap (free if your income is low enough) and will have students of all ages, offers the "remedial" courses you might have missed in high school, lower pressure, and as far as I know they HAVE to accept all applicants. It's a good place to try out various classes and see what's best for you, as well as meet new friends and get involved in some interesting activities -- sports, arts, music, etc. Basic requirements credits are transferrable to a higher university; and they often offer short-term career-training programs to get you into a better job. Just go talk to the people in Admissions and they will help you figure it out.

best of luck to you!

CO2

Patron Meritorious
depending on where you are, there are blue collar jobs available (meaning work with your hands) that, if done well, pay much better than white collar jobs (like bank clerk).

In 1980, there was a major recession. We lost everything when the real estate market sunk. With two adults and 4 or 5 kids living at home. I was one of the adults. I put an ad in a free paper or two, for painting and wallpapering and for gardening services. Within a month, I had so much business, I dropped one of the ads.

Doing work that people with money don't want to do pays better than work that is clean gentile, and polite.

You can quickly learn from on the job experience how to paint, how to mow lawns, trim trees, drive a truck, or answer 911 calls. None of those jobs are going to be as cool as being a barista at Starbucks, but they will get you paid.

get some money from work that you can be happy with, and move out.

there is a saying in LA, "do what you gotta do to do what you gotta do"

get a job, and start working

get paid and move out

don't waste money on fast food and coffee drinks, get food stamps, eat cheap fresh foods, and save every penny for important stuff

buy clothes at thrift stores like Goodwill and Salvation Army.

You might even get a job there.

Don't buy a new car on credit. Pay cash for a beater that runs.

find someone, who you can really talk with, who will listen, and maybe point you toward jobs, and a place to live.