What's new

Would you tell?

Claire Swazey

Spokeshole, fence sitter
I never thought anyone should be "impressed". And if someone actually condescended like that to me, they'd wind up on my ex friend list.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
That's true Claire.

We have used the wog word to address our friends at work of European origins. I stress that this is amongst friends where there is no venom or hurt intended in the expression of it. If they are not the right type to accept this so called "term of endearment", then we don't do it out of respect for their feelings. In our crew at work we had a little Mongolian chap we called "Wogga" and another (Polish descent)we called "Ewog" because he resembled an Ewok (of Star Wars fame). In these cases it was sort of used a a term of endearment or as an acknowledgement thay they were an accepted part of our team. They accepted it quite happily and they gave us some curry back as well!

But, on the ouside it is a term we would never use on someone as it is classed (even in Oz) as a highly offensive term generally. It is, in reality, classed the same as the "N" word against white Europeans and many Europeans find it highly offensive.

Indeed, over here, using it inappropriately can incur a racial vilification charge.

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm guessing that during sex L. Ron Hubbard would call out his own name.

The Anabaptist Jacques

There was a girl in my department at university who used to shout out during her climax, "Oh Jesus! Thank you, Lord Jesus!"

Kid you not. She sure loved sex, and she sure loved Jesus.

Could life get any better? Sex and religion all rolled into one convenient joint.

BardoThodol

So I have this beautiful wog girlfriend who I am very happy with. It's sort of been my policy for a while to not mention my Scientology history to the girls I date. I didn't care when I first got out of the SO, but as Scn's public image gets worse and worse, I've tried to edit that part of my life out. My being here on this forum proves that I cannot fully pretend it never happened, nor do I want to as I have some wonderful memories, and I was lucky enough to not have some of the experiences others here have had (spent most of my SO time off base, so I always had my own room, cooked my own meals, etc.)

She gets calls from Scientology herself from time to time (apparently she bought a book years ago), and I've never told her about my past involvement. My family is, for the most part, equally willing to edit Scientology out of all our lives, and they are aware that I've withheld this information from her.

Part of me wants to be more honest about this (the only real lie I've told her in the last year), but there's another part of me that... It's not that I think she'll leave me or even be weirded out by it, actually she called them Christian Scientologists, proving her unawareness of what the cult actually stands for. But I just am worried that talking about this part of my life will dredge up a lot of emotions, and that I'll have to talk about it more often than I'd like. I'm comfortable with a forum like this because I can be anonymous and just not log on if I'm not into it, be she will certainly have questions. The man I was when I joined the Sea Org and the man I am now are not that different, but to an outside observer, I think they would seem very inconsistent.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody else has edited Scientology from their life history? Can you offer some insight? Am I kidding myself about this?

Just for example. I have a very, very attractive wife. Dated her for years before we got married. We'll celebrate our 21st anniversary this Friday.

Didn't mention Scientology once when we were dating. Didn't matter. Wasn't important. Still isn't. When I talk to her now about it, she's not very interested in that crap. She's got more important stuff to capture her attention.

My best friend, Emily and her friend Karen are fascinated, so we talk about it now and then. All the embarrassment. All the thwarted purposes. All the passions and emotions. For them, it's entertaining. Like hearing stories of getting caught fucking someone in a parking lot by security. Embarrassing, but...

As Sallydance pointed out in a comment I read today, (paraphrase) "Sometimes the truth will set you free; sometimes it will simply fuck you up." My daughter loved the concept.

Like feeling compelled to tell your significant other that you jerked off last night, you might see her shrug and reply, "I don't care. What movie are we going to see tonight? And I want to try that French cafe on the Square."

Some "truths" which we find embarrassing, and which we feel compelled to reveal simply have little or no importance to those we do find important.

Scientology is simply unimportant. It's simply not a deal breaker. Seriously.

Not all truth is important. Not all truth is relevant to all relationships.

What's important is sharing experiences and making a life together.

Reasonable

Re:WOGS

WOGS--very offensive

I even fount the word WOG to be offensive and evaluative (even while I was in)

I saw the same definitions as the rest of you but I also saw the following:

common, everyday garden-variety humanoid ... He 'is' a body. [He] doesn't know he's there, etc. He isn't there as a spirit at all. He is not operating as a thetan.

Someone who operates on the datum that if someone else loses then he wins - so in order to "win" he tried to make others lose.

Someone who isn't even trying.

Can you be more offensive than that?

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
You've kinda hit the nail on the head. I'm not worried she'll leave. I'm worried she'll be interested and want to talk about it. I'm worried that this will be a conversation topic in our lives. To me the ideal reaction would be to tell her and have her say "ok" and never speak of it again, but I don't really see that happening.

You might be surprised. I was in the Sea Org for 14 years. I got out over 15 years ago. My husband has never been in. He knows I have. He's never shown any interest in that part of my life at all.

It probably means a whole lot more to you than it will to her.

Lulu Belle

Moonbat
Just for example. I have a very, very attractive wife. Dated her for years before we got married. We'll celebrate our 21st anniversary this Friday.

Didn't mention Scientology once when we were dating. Didn't matter. Wasn't important. Still isn't. When I talk to her now about it, she's not very interested in that crap. She's got more important stuff to capture her attention.

My best friend, Emily and her friend Karen are fascinated, so we talk about it now and then. All the embarrassment. All the thwarted purposes. All the passions and emotions. For them, it's entertaining. Like hearing stories of getting caught fucking someone in a parking lot by security. Embarrassing, but...

As Sallydance pointed out in a comment I read today, (paraphrase) "Sometimes the truth will set you free; sometimes it will simply fuck you up." My daughter loved the concept.

Like feeling compelled to tell your significant other that you jerked off last night, you might see her shrug and reply, "I don't care. What movie are we going to see tonight? And I want to try that French cafe on the Square."

Some "truths" which we find embarrassing, and which we feel compelled to reveal simply have little or no importance to those we do find important.

Scientology is simply unimportant. It's simply not a deal breaker. Seriously.

Not all truth is important. Not all truth is relevant to all relationships.

What's important is sharing experiences and making a life together.

That's what I was trying to say. You said it better.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
You might be surprised. I was in the Sea Org for 14 years. I got out over 15 years ago. My husband has never been in. He knows I have. He's never shown any interest in that part of my life at all.

It probably means a whole lot more to you than it will to her.

That's funny. My wife used to demonstrate with her mother at the Church in the 70's, before I ever met her (or was involved with the Church). She understands my interest, and shares it.

Boomima

Patron with Honors
Most of the people I know have only the vaguest sense of what Scientologists believe. If it's weighing that heavy on you, tell her. She might have some questions but I think BT is right; it shouldn't be a deal breaker for her. It's not a topic that most people give any thought to, even down here, close to Flag.

Some of the nicest and most thoughtful people I've "met" online are here on these boards and were Scientologists for a very long time. No reasonable person would hold their former involvement with Scientology against them.

Adam7986

Declared SP
The frustrating part dude is that in scientology the truth is so important, and you're taught that everyone needs to know everything about everything. Scientologists by nature are nosy, obnoxious know-it-alls because that is what you are taught you are supposed to be. You're taught that the ”truth” and a lie is the difference between life and death. And unless you tell your mom that you took 50 cents from her purse when you were 7 you'll never be free.

In the real world it's much different. Lying is important. Not sharing certain things with people is important. It's a part of every day life to omit and alter things to make yourself and life more palatable to others. Not everyone needs to know that you masturbated last night, or that you experimented with drugs in college. It just doesn't matter.

The only people that need to know the whole truth are your lawyer, your doctor and your therapist. And there is a reason there are laws in place to keep them from sharing your shit with other people.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
The frustrating part dude is that in scientology the truth is so important, and you're taught that everyone needs to know everything about everything. Scientologists by nature are nosy, obnoxious know-it-alls because that is what you are taught you are supposed to be. You're taught that the ”truth” and a lie is the difference between life and death. And unless you tell your mom that you took 50 cents from her purse when you were 7 you'll never be free.

In the real world it's much different. Lying is important. Not sharing certain things with people is important. It's a part of every day life to omit and alter things to make yourself and life more palatable to others. Not everyone needs to know that you masturbated last night, or that you experimented with drugs in college. It just doesn't matter.

The only people that need to know the whole truth are your lawyer, your doctor and your therapist. And there is a reason there are laws in place to keep them from sharing your shit with other people.

Hubbard, poorly plagiarizing from game theory, posited that games couldn't exist without lies and not-knowingness. Then he created an organization whose purpose was to play games with other organizations and governments. He stressed that people in good shape were great players of games, or game-makers, whereas others were merely pawns or broken pieces, who often didn't know they were part of a game.

The ostensible purpose of auditing is to remove charge, lies and not-knowingness from the case. At a certain point, then, a person should become a good player. At that point, Hubbard then wanted them made into HIS player, playing HIS game. From that point forward, all auditing is focused on making people his pawns in a game with a being known as Xenu or other "implanters".

It stops being about becoming more aware and capable, and starts being about indoctrination and control.

Anyone who dares become a source, on their own, of a new game, or that points out the fraud of his game, becomes a "suppressive".

It's pretty simple.

Adam7986

Declared SP
Yep, what was that scale again, with KNOW on top...you just know things...

It's hard to get yourself out of the habit of randomly spewing irrelevant ”truths”. Trust me I still do it. But the fact of the matter is, no body gives a flying rat's ass about most of the stuff that scientology would consider a matter of eternal damnation. Only Scientologists care about everything you did, from when you took a crap in the morning to what position you did with your girlfriend at night and they want a exact count of beers you had at that party two Weeks ago.

normal people just don't care because we know it doesn't matter.

Adam7986

Declared SP
Hubbard, poorly plagiarizing from game theory, posited that games couldn't exist without lies and not-knowingness. Then he created an organization whose purpose was to play games with other organizations and governments. He stressed that people in good shape were great players of games, or game-makers, whereas others were merely pawns or broken pieces, who often didn't know they were part of a game.

The ostensible purpose of auditing is to remove charge, lies and not-knowingness from the case. At a certain point, then, a person should become a good player. At that point, Hubbard then wanted them made into HIS player, playing HIS game. From that point forward, all auditing is focused on making people his pawns in a game with a being known as Xenu or other "implanters".

It stops being about becoming more aware and capable, and starts being about indoctrination and control.

Anyone who dares become a source, on their own, of a new game, or that points out the fraud of his game, becomes a "suppressive".

It's pretty simple.

My understanding of the mind control functions of scientology is fairly thorough. That douchenugget named Hubbard was a genius. I wish I knew how he learned all that. His studies in human psychology must have been what he was really doing instead of becoming a nuclear physicist.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
My understanding of the mind control functions of scientology is fairly thorough. That douchenugget named Hubbard was a genius. I wish I knew how he learned all that. His studies in human psychology must have been what he was really doing instead of becoming a nuclear physicist.

It's really quite obvious where most of it came from, to me.

Freud. Pavlov. Korzybski. I'm not sure where he got his induction to game theory, but it is quite evident throughout the "goals-problem-mass" portion of the tech that it was highly influential, as well as with the org board and earlier with books like "Fundamentals of Thought".

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Yes, that's always a hot area. Whenever Hubbard said "don't look there", you should read that as "look there", and check your wallet.

Hey Stick! How's it going? :)

Has any of this been helpful or useful to you at all?

Have your thoughts or feelings about this changed or do you have any more clarity on this?

Wishing you and your girlfriend all the best for harmony and happiness between you...give us an update, if you can. :arose:

If you're still just mulling it all over, that's o.k. :)

:goodluck:

StickbyMe

Patron with Honors
Hey, so this thread was helpful. Ultimately I decided that it was my right to put certain things behind me, just as it is hers. If it comes up, i.e. getting recognized by a body router or something, I'll fill her in then.

Or maybe when she sees me laughing the day they show Miscavige getting arrested on the news.