What's new

Panorama: Secrets of Scientology (Showing BBC1 28th Sept 2010 9pm UK)

5 million viewers!!

It is a hot item for TV, so indoubtedly we will get more.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/29/john-sweeney-church-of-scientology

John Sweeney's Church of Scientology rematch draws almost 5m

Panorama journalist's follow-up to his 2007 BBC1 documentary is the most popular show in the 9pm hour

(3)

Jason Deans
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 29 September 2010 14.30 BST
Article history

John Sweeney in Panorama - The Secrets Of Scientology. Photograph: BBC

Journalist John Sweeney's return match with the Church of Scientology attracted nearly 5 million viewers to BBC1 last night, Tuesday 28 September.

The Secrets of Scientology was a follow-up to Sweeney's 2007 BBC1 documentary, which produced a viral hit when a video of him ranting at one of the church's officials was posted on YouTube.

Last night's programme attracted an average of 4.819 million viewers and a 20.3% audience share, making it the most popular show in the 9pm hour.

Competition on the other main networks included BBC2's new Alan Davies chef comedy Whites (2.373 million/9.9%, BBC HD 105,000/0.4%) and the start of a new series of Harry & Paul (1.992 million/8.5%).

Other 9pm competition included ITV1/ITV1 HD's 71 Degrees North (3.425 million/14.4%), Channel 4's Ramsay's Best Restaurant (1.321 million/5.6%, C4 +1 139,000/0.8%) and Channel 5's CSI: Miami 2.052 million (8.7%).

Channel 4's Shane Meadows drama This Is England '86 concluded with 2.112 million viewers (12.3%, C4 +1 317,000/3.6%) from 10pm.

Five main terrestrial analogue networks

Carmel

Crusader
Carmel,

Stop with all this! Indies like Squeakster and myself are tired of your pretending to not know that Marty is the man-- until Ron returns. This is a self-evident truth, just admit that you are hopelessly trapped and join us after a suitable amends project.

ML,
HH
:coolwink:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
Journalist John Sweeney's return match with the Church of Scientology attracted nearly 5 million viewers to BBC1 last night, Tuesday 28 September.

Last night's programme attracted an average of 4.819 million viewers and a 20.3% audience share, making it the most popular show in the 9pm hour.

INT EXEC
(rushing into COB's office breathlessly)
Sir, sir, sir! 5 million viewers saw the Xenu data on TV.

COB
Prepare the body bags.

INT EXEC
Yes, sir! We will issue a press release that Ron warned
back in 1967 that there would be millions of wog deaths
if they learned our secret Wall of Fire!

COB
What Wall of Fire? The body bags are for all you
Int Mgt cocksuckers who let the truth about our scam come out.

bts2free

Patron with Honors

INT EXEC

COB
Prepare the body bags.

INT EXEC

COB

The only problem with this is that there are no more Int Execs on post. So, the body bag must be for his dog who rushed in to report the bad news...

HelluvaHoax!

The only problem with this is that there are no more Int Execs on post. So, the body bag must be for his dog who rushed in to report the bad news...

lolololololol

When Man's Best Friend flows power to Mankind's Greatest Friend.....

"Dog Org reporting in, sir--
All stats are in power, sir!
"
stuart.jpg

COD (Chairman of the Dogs)

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
The question with the E-meter isn't whether it's only measuring skin resistance or truly detecting thoughts. It could in principle very well be doing both. This post is being written because my laptop keyboard is measuring a simple physical property of my fingers, namely the force they exert on the keys. Yet it's clear to me, at least, that this simple physical property is a direct consequence of my thoughts. I think, therefore I type.

That's why there is no big surprise in the 'pinch test', that shows the E-meter swinging when I get pinched, or even when I think about a pinch I just got. If I imagine a tiger bursting through the door to attack me, my pulse will go up a bit, too. I'll probably raise a slight sweat. My muscles will tense unconsciously. And all that will affect the electrical resistance of my arms and hands. A deliberately unstable resistance meter will indicate even such slight changes with wild swings of the needle. So there is in general no surprise at all in the fact that an E-meter responds to thoughts and feelings.

The question is how well it responds. It's apparently a very crude device. And I know of no good reason to believe that skin resistance is efficiently correlated with important thoughts in particular. I would strongly suspect that a lot of what an E-meter reads is unimportant noise, and that if it does read anything significant, a lot of that information is also visible just by looking at a person's face or listening to their tone of voice.

But since it is at least a potentially independent information channel, I can imagine it might be of some use in therapy. It might sometimes show things about how a client is feeling or thinking, which are not apparent from voice and face alone, and which are significant. Or at least it might provide some supplementary evidence to guide the therapist.

And if one or both of client and therapist believe that the E-meter is a valuable tool, then the added confidence this gives them might also be beneficial (though that might also be bad, if it gives false confidence or points in wrong directions). The confidence benefit would be a kind of placebo effect, independent of how well the E-meter actually works. But up to a point placebo effects do work, and they do help people.

Only up to a point, though. Placebo effects don't cure cancer. And E-meters cannot possibly be infallibly clear windows on the soul, let alone oracles for cosmic history.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sweeney did a good job. None of the 'raw meat' who watched that program will ever become Scientologists.

<snip>

<snip>

Yep, 4,819,0000 people who will never become scientologists!

Almost makes you feel sorry for the UK poopers still busily trying to "clear" the UK!

And you can add on all the others who saw the trailers and didn't bother watching because they already know it is a wierd cult!

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
The question with the E-meter isn't whether it's only measuring skin resistance or truly detecting thoughts. It could in principle very well be doing both. <snip>
I suspect you are right.. The whole post..

But then.. Why make the 'reads' even more erratic by 'holding tin cans'? - Instead attach the wires to the skin with an adhesive patch and some goo to ensure connectivity..

And besides.. When I was in I learned to make the needle float when I needed it to. Irrespective of what mood I was in.. This was a neccesary 'survival' skill, since the meter was used for passing exams, with unaccptable consequences for failure, and questioning to reveal 'evil intentions and 'overts'.. This too with the risk of much wasted time and troubles if any such were found.

Hmm.. Even so.. I think the meter could be useful if there was confidentiality and the 'auditor' was good.. Problem for me was that I'd become aware that confessional folders were used against members who wouldn't toe the line.. So it was: 'Anything you say in session might be used against you in the future' -
That rendered 'auditing' unworkable for me. Meter or no meter..

:yes:

Last edited:

La La Lou Lou

Crusader
I just hope that as many as possible UK scientologist public and staff watched it, we should see a lot of newbies, here, if that's the case.

Meccaanon

Patron
Hooray! We are on the front lines now! Of course, everyone around here knew that already. :happydance:

One thing that struck me is how Sweeney subtly dissed M&M. He introduced them as "true believers who have left the church," then aired that bit where they interrupted him over and over again. Even as a demonstration that clip seemed creepy and anti social. I mean, people should never do that to one another and certainty not with intent. I think the entire show was a very slick and well done piece of work. Hopefully it will start getting some play here in the States, especially in and around the city of Clearwater.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation

INT EXEC

COB
Prepare the body bags.

INT EXEC

COB

LOL LOL LOL ...

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
ripples in a pond

Yep, 4,819,0000 people who will never become scientologists!

Almost makes you feel sorry for the UK poopers still busily trying to "clear" the UK!

And you can add on all the others who saw the trailers and didn't bother watching because they already know it is a wierd cult!

It's not just that 5 milllion people saw the episode. It's how many willl watch the YouTube mirrors, and BBC Panorama archives, and read internet reviews which direct them to the show. These people will talk to their friends, and family. It spreads out like ripples on a pond. The 2007 episode was up over 7 million watches total after a few months, and that was a half hour. This was an hour special, which was the most watched show in Britain in the 9 O'clock hour. It is a huge win for John Sweeney pulling this off after the best parts of the show had to be edited out. It is reverse-dissemination on a massive scale. Sleepless nights ahead for OSA, I'm afraid to say.

VaD

Gold Meritorious Patron
I watched this Panorama video.

Music was great!
Message was clear (Scientology is a CULT).
John Sweeney and his team picked "jewels" out of "humangous" amount of info about Scn, and presented to the World the summation of what Scn is - its church and beyond.

I thank John Sweeney personally.
It's a very honorable act for a reporter to have enough guts to go inside and report about Scientology.

Question. The secrets on the editing room floor.

Were there really any secrets on the editing room floor?

If there were, were they really the juice that we were told they would be, or just routine editing?

ALL of the jaw dropping secrets were edited?

Really?

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Was it explained what those purported text messages were? If so, I missed it. Were they according to the memory of M&M, or actually recorded electronically somewhere, or invented, or what?

Paul

Big Farmer

Patron with Honors
Was it explained what those purported text messages were? If so, I missed it. Were they according to the memory of M&M, or actually recorded electronically somewhere, or invented, or what?

Paul

Not explained very well what they were, however, I don't doubt that they exist in some form as with Carter Ruck waiting in the wings to sue any misinformation that might have been reported I can't see the BBC taking a chance with this. Could have been M Rinder's phone used to communicate with DM :confused2:

HelluvaHoax!

Paul

Dunno, but you gotta LOVE the Impersonator they hired to do the Voice Over in Tommy Davis' inimitably jaded, insincere, effeminate manner.