What's new

Positive Things - It Helps

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I know everyone has different things that keep them "positive" moving "forward" or however you think of it.
Some may call it sappy, not real, la-la land stuff - but it helps me. We all have challenges from paying the bills, to cleaning the house, leaving the past behind, etc. From a journal, to hiking, to __________. What helps one may help others -

Today this quote landed for me... "The way to right wrongs is to turn the light of truth upon them." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett

What keeps you moving forward? What makes you feel positive? If no one is interested I will let this die.. but if you want to share you never know who else is needing a boost today.

:)

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm currently reading a book called "The Hindu-Yogi Science Of Breath" by Yogi Ramacharaka. Don't worry, I don't belong to any religion and I don't even know who the author is - I just saw the book and thought it looked interesting.

The whole point of it is that the average person tends to breathe in a shallow manner and this book teaches the correct way - filling the lungs from the bottom up to the top. It's quite easy actually but the reason I'm writing this post is that the book shows how to combine breathing like this in a rhythmic manner while meditating or even just thinking positively if you wish.

I'm going to try this out in the coming days so I just thought I'd mention it here since you asked for a response.

TomKat

Patron Meritorious
I could never relax when doing any kind of yogic breathing method. But once I did spontaneously exteriorize my etheric body from a semi-sleep state, and noticed I was breathing extremely deeply, taking huge gulps of air.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I am assuming this topic is about adults and not children or early teens.
---------------------------------------------------

IMO, the items will vary depending on a person's current time era of their life.

Activities/purposes:

1. are you in college with a major and club or sports activities?

2. are your children young and in your house or are they adults out on their own?

3. are you retired? (Hobbies will be more time spent now)

I'll bet that this list could be expanded. :)

Last edited:

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I am going through the most challenging time of my life and need aids almost on daily basis. Here are what I found to be helpful , positive and some tools of great help.

1) I practice cardiac coherence breathing technique ( breathing deeply and properly is the pillar of a better emotional physical health)

then, one of my daily ritual since I left the cult is gratefulness:

Each night I find 3 reasons to be grateful
And each morning I feel grateful for this day will bring experiences to make me grow.

If I feel very anxioius I practice tapping - it' s magic!

To live more comfortably, I concentrate on a set of important values that I try to follow.

Also, I always keep busy with something that I am passionate with and try to have fun as much as possible. Laughing each day can do wonder.

That's about it!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
One thing that makes it easier to walk my path and learn from others and from experiences is to remain open mind and don't let my ego mind to resist...it changes our views and help to remain with a positive constructive attitude while avoiding frustrations and anxiety.​

It's like saying to ourselve: I don't need anymore to proove myself, but I enjoy to learn and discover like a child;

" With an open mind and heart, the everyday occurrence of rising sun, which ordinarily seems so mundane, can kindle a sense of wonder."

Miss Ellie

Miss Ellie
I am "tickled" that others are jumping in. I hope this keeps growing.. positive quotes, good things, fun things, positive things.

I have been accused of being a "damn Polly Anna" - I am guilty as charged! I believe each new day is a gift to be unwrapped and enjoyed. Some days more... some days less but each day is a gift with no deposit no return.

:)

RogerB

Crusader
Good thread subject, Miss Ellie. Very good.

Answering your question caused me to look at what has kept me "going, alive and happy."

Indeed, my personal answer is in synch with what I have read of other notable folks of accomplishment: Terry Bradshaw (in the WSJ yesterday) and Itzhak Perlman the Israeli-American violinist, conductor, are two I was reading about recently.

The thing that stood out to me about successful (and happy) folks was that they knew at a very early age what it was that they wanted to be, do and have. They had a known to them purpose and want that they wanted to accomplish . . . it was a classic "fire in the belly" that directed all of their attention, energy and spiritual Life-Force towards the accomplishment of their known purpose.

The subject of "purpose" is, indeed, a hot subject. I wrote an essay for THE SIR JOHN TEMPLETON FOUNDATION, THE POWER OF PURPOSE INVESTIGATION, May 2004, Titled: "OBSERVATIONS ON THE SUBJECT OF PURPOSE"

Mine got switched on at age around 8 years old.

Alan Walter ("Alan" here on ESMB) articulated a formula that applies here. It runs by the acronym S.P.I.E.P.I.R.

As a Spiritual presence, one Perceives an environment and develops a want that one then Intends into the future as accomplished in precisely Envisioned terms; one then Plans out the steps and actions need to attain the intended outcome, followed by Implementation of the plan to obtain the desired Result.

Knowing this formula, and applying it, does actually keep one happily in pursuit of one's ideals and happily winning.

Alan originally, and I, developed procedures for putting this sequence under your full knowing control.

Life then, as I like to say, is a sweet song.

RogerB

F.Bullbait

Oh, a wise guy,eh?
This wonderful earth...

et-smukt-kig-ud-over.jpg

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
Fish 'n' Chips.

shoreditch-fish-and-chips.jpg

I can't figure this image out. Yes, back in the day when I was a kid and you went to the fish 'n' chip shop for a take-away, your food would be put into a greaseproof paper bag and then wrapped in newsprint (a marvellous insulator) to keep it warm - it was never served in old newspaper alone, that would be disgusting. I don't know if this is an American restaurant trying to be 'authentic' and serving it this way, but that's not real newsprint anyway - I hope!

Last edited:

JustSheila

Crusader
I have a sinus infection that keeps coming back and I'm real sick. No, that's not the positive thing, heh. :coolwink:

The positive thing is that this last time, I figured out what kept aggravating it and once I got rid of the allergen, my immune system kicked in. Instead of getting worse, bit by bit, I'm getting over it on my own.

I know I'll get better. Wow, sounds like a Life Repair completion! :roflmao:

Well, it's a big deal. I've been battling this for two years and the last three months have been awful. So having an immune system that is working now really cheers me up.

(My apologies to my wonderful friends that I haven't gotten back to in PMs and emails this past week or two. It's been a hard go.)

chipgallo

Patron Meritorious
In no particular order:

caring for our canines, who in turn always have time for me;
listening to music (lights up different areas of the brain);
selective use of social media (can be motivational);
expanding my culinary experiences (started sampling locally made fermented cabbage for example).

Last edited:

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Fish 'n' Chips.

shoreditch-fish-and-chips.jpg

I can't figure this image out. Yes, back in the day when I was a kid and you went to the fish 'n' chip shop for a take-away, your food would be put into a greaseproof paper bag and then wrapped in newsprint (a marvellous insulator) to keep it warm - it was never served in old newspaper alone, that would be disgusting. I don't know if this is an American restaurant trying to be 'authentic' and serving it this way, but that's not real newsprint anyway - I hope!
Well, that "newsprint" is obviously fake. And as I don't see grease on it, it is probably greaseproof.

But, when I was happily living in England, my fish and chips were wrapped in newspaper and it was just fine. My favorite memories of England were -- I'd buy fish and chips, go to the nearest pub, sit at the largest, empty table with my fish and chips and a pint of bitter. Before I'd finished my meal, the table would be full of friendly blokes and the evening would be (drunken) great.

strativarius

Well, that "newsprint" is obviously fake. And as I don't see grease on it, it is probably greaseproof.

But, when I was happily living in England, my fish and chips were wrapped in newspaper and it was just fine. My favorite memories of England were -- I'd buy fish and chips, go to the nearest pub, sit at the largest, empty table with my fish and chips and a pint of bitter. Before I'd finished my meal, the table would be full of friendly blokes and the evening would be (drunken) great.
Let me get this right. Your fish and chips were served in nothing but newspaper? If so, that's something I have never ever seen or heard of, and I've lived in England (and eaten fish and chips from one end of the country to the other) for most of my 70-odd years.

But yeah, as a kid, going to the local chip shop in the evening and ordering up some Cod or Plaice and chips and a couple of pickled onions or a pickled gherkin was something I did at least a couple of times a week. Delicious, nutritious and cheap.

Nothing seems to taste as good as it did back then IMO. The fish 'n' chips, The Granny Smiths or Cox's apples, the fresh bread from the bakers, the Sharpes Express potatoes, the frozen peas we used to buy all seem to have lost that wonderful flavour they once had - or is it just that I'm getting old?

Where in England were you living Bill (if that's not being too nosey)?

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Let me get this right. Your fish and chips were served in nothing but newspaper? If so, that's something I have never ever seen or heard of, and I've lived in England (and eaten fish and chips from one end of the country to the other) for most of my 70-odd years.

But yeah, as a kid, going to the local chip shop in the evening and ordering up some Cod or Plaice and chips and a couple of pickled onions or a pickled gherkin was something I did at least a couple of times a week. Delicious, nutritious and cheap.

Nothing seems to taste as good as it did back then IMO. The fish 'n' chips, The Granny Smiths or Cox's apples, the fresh bread from the bakers, the Sharpes Express potatoes, the frozen peas we used to buy all seem to have lost that wonderful flavour they once had - or is it just that I'm getting old?

Where in England were you living Bill (if that's not being too nosey)?
As I recall, there was also a small wax paper sheet between the f&c and newspaper, no bag. I lived in London for a while. Later in Edinburgh.

strativarius

As I recall, there was also a small wax paper sheet between the f&c and newspaper, no bag. I lived in London for a while. Later in Edinburgh.
Whew! You had me worried there for a second, can you imagine the mess having greasy fish 'n' chips served up in newspaper. Some believe that's how we brits do it though. LOL.

London eh? Well, that's my home town but I won't press you for any further details.

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Judeochristian scripture

Bohemian poetry

Victorian architecture

small amounts of cocaine

numerous memories of things I've done that may be evidence, contrary to popular belief, I'm not a totally worthless piece of shit

watermelon

the fading hope I might see my sons before I die

The Boston Red Sox!!!!

The COHE

Daily newspaper comic section

long legged hip swinging ponytail bobbing pretty girls with dark eyes flashing like a careless match in a fireworks factory

Bogart

old Hank Williams tunes

Satchmo

taking naps on a San Francisco sidewalk in warm sunshine

the star spangled banner fluttering in a gentle breeze

the knowledge that Il Caudillo is still dead

autumn in New England

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
Whew! You had me worried there for a second, can you imagine the mess having greasy fish 'n' chips served up in newspaper. Some believe that's how we brits do it though. LOL.

London eh? Well, that's my home town but I won't press you for any further details.

Does the Super Bowl command much attention in your sceptred isle?