What's new

TOM CRUISE; SUPERHUMAN

Joe van Staden

TOM CRUISE IS SUPERNATURAL

In reference to the story by Stephanie Bauer for Holyscoop reporting the C of S’s claim that Tom Cruise is supernatural my skepticism in this regard probably differs from the, to be expected, skepticism of many others. To begin with I don’t doubt the existence of extrasensory perceptions – telepathy, remote viewing, precognition etc. Such phenomena have been experienced and witnessed by people from all walks of life for millennia. All that seems to change from time to time is how the “inexplicable” is interpreted and the amount of attention it receives.

For a period up till recently, due to the inability of science to explain such phenomenon, but mainly because it didn’t fit the scientists worldview (confirmation bias). As far as they were concerned it didn’t exist. However in the face of the overwhelming incidents of spontaneous healing, for instance, encountered by doctors daily (placebo effect) it became impossible to ignore “powers” at work beyond the “logic” of the materialistic realism on which science is based. Consequently scientists have in recent years taken such inexplicable phenomena into the laboratory. And lo and behold, based on specifically designed scientific procedures, the existence of phenomena like remote viewing etc. have been confirmed.

The problem scientists in a lab setting are having is that they seem unable to duplicate the intensity of such powers in a lab environment compared to what is often the case outside the lab. One explanation scientists have come up with is that when an individual has intuitively sensed that something has happened to a loved one a thousand miles away, for instance, strong feelings due to a strong connection are involved – factors which can not easily be duplicated in a lab setting.

As I see it there is more to it. Imagine consciousness (theta) as H2O. It can manifest as steam, water or ice, yet remain H2O throughout. Similarly consciousness (theta) can take on increasingly more solid, fixed “ice like” forms yet remaining consciousness throughout. However, just as the nature and certain “capabilities” of H2O change when frozen so does the nature and capability of consciousness change when it collapses into something more solid like a specific point of view a particular sense of self, me or ego.

To cut a long story short, the source of the power behind any extraordinary human capabilities is consciousness (theta) beyond typical human orientation. The “purer” the consciousness – the less oriented and entangled in terms of a particular sense of self, identity, meaning, relevance or value – the more accessible and natural those powers.

When looking at these extraordinary capabilities in a typical lab setting the emphasis is on observation, measurement, analysis and attempts to capture the source of the unexplained phenomena and “locate” it – define it. Perhaps at this point reference to developments in quantum mechanics and recognition of the observer’s role in determining “reality”, so to speak, will provide a more comprehensive answer to why the lab approach is flawed.

When applying the general idea of Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle to the issue at hand it amounts to this; the more “the source” (omni present consciousness – theta) is defined, located and oriented, in terms of time, space, meaning, relevance and value the less pure consciousness becomes – the more it becomes fixed and “ice-like”; less “steam-like” – unable to be “many places” at the same time.

The heart can go where the mind cannot. Intuition (feelings – love, passion and empathy) will open doors which are permanently shut to information (thinking – analysis and logic).

Whether in a lab or under a Bodhi tree in the open, the time and place does not matter. What does matter in reaching beyond the laws we believe determine the way things work is the required presence of heart and soul. It is through “feelings” not negated by rational analysis that the “connection” is made to the “Infinite Now”, a state of consciousness beyond typical human orientation, where all possibilities reside side by side.

This brings us to the basis of my skepticism regarding the Tom Cruise story. Here is the thing; from the moment an individual enters Scientology the labeling begins. He or she is constantly made aware where they are on the bridge along with details of what this means – along with a description of the type of person they are. Add to this the various ethics conditions Scientologists have bought into along with the latest array of awards (labels) for donations to the C of S and you wind up with a formula for extreme “location” in terms of time, space, meaning, relevance and value for members. The self-image of C of S members is largely based on a blueprint designed by LRH and in recent years by David M. .

The question is; has Mr. Cruise been able to step outside his ego, his Scientology manufactured sense of self? If not, he is far less of an OT than the Shepard, whose sense of self is being one with nature, able to find lost sheep in vast mountainous terrain through intuition.
In the final analysis: Who am I? This is probably the most frequently asked question by anyone on a quest to unravel the mysteries of life and the universe. Yet, should our perspective widen to beyond that narrow band determined by typical human orientation it will be discovered that there is no final answer. Whatever answer we come up with it will be one of an infinite number of possible selves, each one of which is valid within a particular life context.

In the words of G B Shaw; Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Joe van Staden.

Student of Trinity

Silver Meritorious Patron
However in the face of the overwhelming incidents of spontaneous healing, for instance, encountered by doctors daily (placebo effect) it became impossible to ignore “powers” at work beyond the “logic” of the materialistic realism on which science is based. Consequently scientists have in recent years taken such inexplicable phenomena into the laboratory. And lo and behold, based on specifically designed scientific procedures, the existence of phenomena like remote viewing etc. have been confirmed.

Fraid not. The placebo effect is real but small. It mainly affects subjective symptoms like pain. It does not produce miracles. The reason why the effects of experimental drugs are compared to those of placebos is precisely that placebo effects are not big enough to be worth anything. Effects slightly bigger than placebo might be a sign that you're onto something, which could perhaps be improved until it was really something. Effects no bigger than placebo mean that there is no sign that you're getting anywhere at all with this drug. Better try something else.

Moreover, although the small placebo effects are real, there is nothing about them that disproves "materialistic realism". On the contrary, they are entirely consistent with materialism. People who feel hopeful often tend to feel better, and even do a bit better. Thinking that one has taken a good pill, and feeling hopeful, is a neurochemical phenomenon. Neurochemical phenomena affect the rest of the body, in lots of ways. For example, they can make fingers type words. The exact mechanisms by which beliefs can have slight effects on some medical conditions are not known, but there is no reason to think the mechanisms aren't there. The brain is a giant jungle full of such mechanisms, after all.

The existence of remote viewing has certainly not been confirmed. It hasn't been taken into any serious laboratory in 'recent years', but it was studied a long time ago. In 1974 some very preliminary claims were published in Nature, based on some poorly controlled experiments involving subjective judgements about how much resemblance there was between drawings and scenes. Even if those experiments had been perfectly executed as what they were, the kind of measurements they involved were inherently iffy. These were not smoking guns like accurately reading a nine-digit number hidden in a lead box ten miles away. And since that preliminary article was published forty years ago, no stronger evidence has turned up. That's not what any solid phenomenon ever looks like, forty years later. Forty years later, a real phenomenon is in your house or your car or your pocket, making some gadget work. One forty-year-old paper that never went anywhere is what a mistake looks like. It happens all the time. There's no shame in being wrong. Mistaking one paper that never went anywhere for 'scientific confirmation', though, is a serious misunderstanding of how science works.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
TOM CRUISE IS SUPERNATURAL

For a period up till recently, due to the inability of science to explain such phenomenon, but mainly because it didn’t fit the scientists worldview (confirmation bias). As far as they were concerned it didn’t exist. However in the face of the overwhelming incidents of spontaneous healing, for instance, encountered by doctors daily (placebo effect) it became impossible to ignore “powers” at work beyond the “logic” of the materialistic realism on which science is based. Consequently scientists have in recent years taken such inexplicable phenomena into the laboratory. And lo and behold, based on specifically designed scientific procedures, the existence of phenomena like remote viewing etc. have been confirmed.

The problem scientists in a lab setting are having is that they seem unable to duplicate the intensity of such powers in a lab environment compared to what is often the case outside the lab. One explanation scientists have come up with is that when an individual has intuitively sensed that something has happened to a loved one a thousand miles away, for instance, strong feelings due to a strong connection are involved – factors which can not easily be duplicated in a lab setting.

As I see it there is more to it. Imagine consciousness (theta) as H2O. It can manifest as steam, water or ice, yet remain H2O throughout. Similarly consciousness (theta) can take on increasingly more solid, fixed “ice like” forms yet remaining consciousness throughout. However, just as the nature and certain “capabilities” of H2O change when frozen so does the nature and capability of consciousness change when it collapses into something more solid like a specific point of view a particular sense of self, me or ego.

To cut a long story short, the source of the power behind any extraordinary human capabilities is consciousness (theta) beyond typical human orientation. The “purer” the consciousness – the less oriented and entangled in terms of a particular sense of self, identity, meaning, relevance or value – the more accessible and natural those powers.

When looking at these extraordinary capabilities in a typical lab setting the emphasis is on observation, measurement, analysis and attempts to capture the source of the unexplained phenomena and “locate” it – define it. Perhaps at this point reference to developments in quantum mechanics and recognition of the observer’s role in determining “reality”, so to speak, will provide a more comprehensive answer to why the lab approach is flawed.

Have you met Tom_Booth?

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Well, I saw TC do a superhuman feat : he nor only jumped up on a couch & maintained his balance BUT he did on the Oprah show with a worldwide audience !

And I also saw TC down Marr Lauer.........Bigtime ! Who else does that ?

I did ya see his flying in Topgun ? World class hot right stuff !

And he is at least an inch taller than DM.

Elronius of Marcabia

Silver Meritorious Patron
His superhuman telepathic abilities seem to stop at knowing what his
wives were thinking.

You know thinking a mental process scientologists are saying they
are the experts on :hysterical:

Kemist

Patron with Honors

I'm sorry if you're disappoint, but, erm...

r-GRUMPY-CAT-NO-large570.jpg

I don't by whom these things have been "confirmed", but I've never heard an actual scientist nor read an actual paper that purported to "prove" these things exist.

There's also a standing offer of a million dollars (http://web.randi.org/the-million-dollar-challenge.html), since many many years, to anyone who can prove them.

So far, no one has been awarded that money.

Leon-2

Patron Meritorious
Joe's got it right.

You ability to Do and Have is entirely dependent on the Beingness you adopt.

And the range of potential beingnesses that can be adopted is infinite.

Anonycat

Crusader
Joe's got it right.

You ability to Do and Have is entirely dependent on the Beingness you adopt.

And the range of potential beingnesses that can be adopted is infinite.

I think you mean "your" and "adapt". And "Beingness" is not a word. That includes the plural. I think what you're trying to say is: stay in school.

Joe van Staden

To respond and do justice to each point raised will be time consuming. Albeit somewhat presumptuous on my part, suffice it to say that this discussion essentially boils down to a chicken and egg question. What came first, consciousness or the brain? As I see it, your argument is founded on materialistic realism, which amounts to the brain being the source of consciousness. I see it the other way around and all that that implies. And should we take into consideration the powerful and determining influence of CONFORMATION BIAS I will, as will you, bend information to fit our respective orientation. (Google conformation bias).

However, having said that I must add; my views on these matters aren’t finally based on what I have read or information I have come across. My views have primarily been formed through various personal experiences of “inexplicable nature throughout my life. One in particular which I enjoyed and hoped would reoccur, but so far hasn’t. The first and only time I ever went to a race track was on my insistence due to me desperately in need of cash and a dream I had. The dream gave me the numbers of the 4 winning horses in a Jackpot, that paid out more money I have ever seen before and since. To this day, I am sure, my ex-girlfriend, who was with me on that day still holds it against me for not sharing the info with her.

I have had more profound inexplicable experiences than winning some money on a horse race, none of them to be passed of as mere coincidence.

Joe van Staden. .

AngeloV

Gold Meritorious Patron
Your posts reek of the same stench as one L. Ron Hubbard who expounded in a similar fashion as you do.

You do realize that your audience here knows that what you are peddling is pure snake oil - 'facts' created out of thin air; anecdotal stories used to 'prove' your superior understanding of 'theta' and 'supernatural' abilities; assuming the stature of guru while us readers are lost souls thirsty for your superior spiritual knowledge.

Your OP is full of lies and exaggerations and I don't have the time nor inclination to pick it apart.

I hope you have another dream that tells you the winners in tomorrow's horse race because you ain't gonna make any money off your concocted snake oil.

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
Yes, and it got what it deserved imo.

Yes but this is interesting in a way. Leaving out the psychic stuff, which to my mind can' be explained away purely stochastically, what he is saying is that by defining the individual the individual is bound by the definition and conforms to the boundaries the definition requires. That is, in the $cn universe, making the able stupid, which TC demonstrates admirably.

Kemist

Patron with Honors
To respond and do justice to each point raised will be time consuming. Albeit somewhat presumptuous on my part, suffice it to say that this discussion essentially boils down to a chicken and egg question. What came first, consciousness or the brain? As I see it, your argument is founded on materialistic realism, which amounts to the brain being the source of consciousness. I see it the other way around and all that that implies. And should we take into consideration the powerful and determining influence of CONFORMATION BIAS I will, as will you, bend information to fit our respective orientation. (Google conformation bias).

However, having said that I must add; my views on these matters aren’t finally based on what I have read or information I have come across. My views have primarily been formed through various personal experiences of “inexplicable nature throughout my life. One in particular which I enjoyed and hoped would reoccur, but so far hasn’t. The first and only time I ever went to a race track was on my insistence due to me desperately in need of cash and a dream I had. The dream gave me the numbers of the 4 winning horses in a Jackpot, that paid out more money I have ever seen before and since. To this day, I am sure, my ex-girlfriend, who was with me on that day still holds it against me for not sharing the info with her.

I have had more profound inexplicable experiences than winning some money on a horse race, none of them to be passed of as mere coincidence.

Joe van Staden. .

I find it fascinating how people's interests in supposedly supernatural / immaterial things relies on them having a material effect. This is not suprising, since things that can't interact with matter litterally don't matter.

One problem with this is that to have an effect on matter, things must be material themselves. Another is that all material effects can be measured directly or indirectly. So if you claim to have a material effect, there must be a way to measure it.

For instance, if you have a gift for finding lottery numbers, statistics (actual statistical method, not the childish Hubbard version) should show it. If you're capable of remote vision, you should be able to get information in situations where you have no other means of getting it. If you don't need to eat to live, then it should not make you sick if your access to food is restricted. But each time people who pretend to have such gifts are placed in a controlled situation where it is not possible for them to use trickery, they fail. For me this is enough to conclude (temporarily, as are all conclusions in science) that these faculties don't exist. I'll change my mind of course, when actual, convincing evidence is presented. In this there is a helpful saying to remember : the plural of anecdote isn't data.

Personal experience, beliefs and feelings are just that. They may be accutely meaningful to you personaly and help you get through life, which is great, but they mean nothing about the nature of the universe. The more we actually examine the universe, the more it gets weird, way weirder than any supernatural stories, which are really stale, simplistic and boring in comparison. That's because most of the universe is outside the normal range of human perceptions in many ways, and our stories tend to stick closely to those perceptions.

I think people who talk about "just matter" have no idea just how interesting and beautiful it really is. For instance, we humans turned sand into machines which right now are interconnected into a network with a behavior no one really understands anymore. With this in mind, for me it isn't really farfetched to think that brains, which are made up of a great number of interconnected tiny but complex organic machines, can generate what we call consciousness. I fail to see why this would diminish anything human minds can do - I find it awe-inspiring that matter could evolve into something that can collectively contemplate itself. It makes me wonder what else it is capable of.

BTW, it's confirmation bias, not conformation bias.

This is something that is very well known in science and it is the reason why we insist on the controlled experiments and double-blind trials to which you seem to object, and why we don't trust personal experience and anecdotes, which are inherently biased.

Last edited:

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Here's what I noticed in the OP and other posts in this thread;

The adherents of this philosophy always interpret any supernatural phenomenon as resulting from their own superior state of consciousness or something. 'OT abilities', 'psychic powers' in non-scilon terms, etc. I find this ironic, as the whole idea behind their secret core belief is that we are all constantly being influenced by malevolent spiritual beings distinct from ones own self, which only the upper level auditing can get rid of.

Do you see the dichotomy here?

I don't care if you believe me or not, but both my wife and I have had many, many prophetic dreams. And other stuff. I kept a dream journal for a long while, so I have no doubts about this myself. No way I could. It's hard to believe something like this unless you have experienced it, so I will understand anyone's skepticism.

But here is the thing; this isn't an ability, it's a gift. I can't just do it whenever I want to, it just happens. It isn't my superior awareness or condition that causes this, and it damn sure isn't my will or 'intention' as it's defined in the cult. It's coming from an outside benevolent spiritual source. And apparently that source isn't constrained by space/time.