What's new

What does SO do with you when you die?

Wisened One

Crusader
Hey all:

Just curious but: What does the Sea Org do with your remains when you die?

(morbid question, I know).

Do THEY pay for your burial or do they make your family do so or what?

I mean, since there is no retirement-age/benefits in the SO (or is there?)..I figure you probably work till the moment you die....

Wisened One

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I haven't seen any policy on this specifically.

The obvious thing would be to handle the flap so as to involve the least cost, bad PR, and distraction from normal production.

Which means family preferably, definitely. Also legally, the family would have first claim on the remains.

Paul

SabinaM

Patron
I mean, since there is no retirement-age/benefits in the SO (or is there?)..I figure you probably work till the moment you die....

No, there isn't. Usually when you get too old to work you get offloaded, which happened to one woman while I was there. I don't think she had any family outside, and her husband (also SO) had died a few years earlier.

One other elderly woman died while I was there. Her kids were all in the SO. She died at the base in Sydney and her body was taken away to a funeral home. No one knew where her body was after that and one of the guys on the decks at the time had to call around to every funeral home in the area trying to find her body, which he eventually did. I'm not sure who paid for it or how cheap/extravagant it was because I didn't go, but there was a funeral.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Scientology is ideally a closed system, so, from Raw Meat to clamburger (no cheese; hold the Mayo) where possible.

Every Mystery Sandwich needs some mystery meat.

Zinj

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Hey all:

(morbid question, I know).

Do THEY pay for your burial or do they make your family do so or what?

Wisened One

There isn't any policy AFAIK. Of course the first thing that would happen would be that everyone would rifle the desk to get any admin supplies and any snacks hidden there. Anything like an iPod (though, given the amount of money most so have it would probably be a walkman...)would go walkies of course.

Everyone would walk around with their TRs "in" - no case on post here! There would be none of the downtone he&r griefy crap going on.

And, of course, they would be assigned non-existence.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
Hey all:

(morbid question, I know). Do THEY pay for your burial or do they make your family do so or what?

I'll tell you, precisely, what they do... they did the same thing with Uwe Stuckenbrock when he was dying. Scientology & the SO pays nothing.

It is well-known in Scientology circles that in Los Angeles,if you're in need of medical care, have no funds or insurance, you go to the Los Angeles County Hospital aka USC Medical Center. They treat indigents and undocumented aliens without charge. SO's have been going to USC for decades.

When someone in the SO is dying, the SO first contacts family members to deal with the matter. If the family can care for them, they're off-loaded to the families. If there's no family, there off-loaded on the County to take care of.

The SO is way too busy clearing the planet to having to deal with dregs slowing their progress down; even if those "dregs" had devoted their lives & sacrificed their personal health & well-being for years in blind servitude to Scientology.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
what does the S.O. do with you when you die?

JPGGreetingsFromCEXcopy.jpg

Commander EX offers this Helpful Tip:
"Be sure to count all your 'terminals' on the Org's Weekly Completion Stat!"

Lurker5

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is so sad

This is very sad - and you folks have made me laugh - some of these are hsyterical. Gallows humor - Good Going ! :whistling:

XSO

Patron
I was in the SO when several members died, one had MS, one was a car accident. I have also seen injuries (someone got their hand cut off while on the RPF working on top of an elevator). The injured get workers comp and offloaded. The departed usually are dumped on their remaining family members, if there are any.

Hoodwinked

Patron with Honors
An elderly AOLA SO member named Eunice Ford was sent off to die at a convalescent home paid for by the U.S. taxpayers (i.e. Social Security).

Only public Scilons are required to "take responsibility" -- does not apply to those who run the Cult.

AnonKat

Crusader
I was in the SO when several members died, one had MS, one was a car accident. I have also seen injuries (someone got their hand cut off while on the RPF working on top of an elevator). The injured get workers comp and offloaded. The departed usually are dumped on their remaining family members, if there are any.

First Sorry for your loss

I was under the impression they prefered cremation or is that onley at Gold ?

Mest Lover

Not Sea Org Qualified
This is very sad - and you folks have made me laugh - some of these are hsyterical. Gallows humor - Good Going ! :whistling:

It shouldn't be funny though, its a serious subject that unfortunately their confront is to dump rather than handle with compassion for the person.