What's new

Where are they now?

Just curious what all the "celeb SPs" do for money, Rinder, Rathburn, Scobee, Headley's, etc. I know some have written books, and Mike & Marty have blogs, but how do they pay the day to day bills? Anyone know?

myrklix

Patron with Honors
Well, rather than have us speculate, ask them. If they'd like to answer, fine. If not, that's fine, too.

Just curious what all the "celeb SPs" do for money, Rinder, Rathburn, Scobee, Headley's, etc. I know some have written books, and Mike & Marty have blogs, but how do they pay the day to day bills? Anyone know?

Dean Blair

Silver Meritorious Patron

How do you make money? If your like everyone else you work for it. Personally Big Pharma and the psyches pay me to post here and so I make a ton of money. Every time I say something to denigrate David Miscavige I get a big bonus. David Miscavige SCOHB. See, I just made a hundred bucks. It's easy

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Ya know, in many parts of the world, it is considered very impolite to ask what you do for a living. This is something that is offered, not asked about.

As well, there is no reason other than curiosity (then ask them, not else-wise), for this type of trolling, frankly it is none of your business.

:grouch::whistling::biggrin:

Gib

Crusader

Headleys have some sort of construction business I believe. Marty is a stay at home Dad whilst da wife works, Karen #1 mentioned this on a post here on ESMB.
Rinder & Scobee I don't know.

I always ask folks what they do for a living or how much something costs them. I just am always curious and looking for new ideas or maybe I can relate or maybe I can help. If somebody doesn't answer me, I don't push it as I figure they don't want me to know. :confused2:

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
Headleys have some sort of construction business I believe. Marty is a stay at home Dad whilst da wife works, Karen #1 mentioned this on a post here on ESMB.
Rinder & Scobee I don't know.

I always ask folks what they do for a living or how much something costs them. I just am always curious and looking for new ideas or maybe I can relate or maybe I can help. If somebody doesn't answer me, I don't push it as I figure they don't want me to know. :confused2:

Mark headley has a very successful business installing sound systems, stages etc. His wife Claire has a book keeping business. Amy has a successful business with her husband matt. No idea what Mike Rinder does

BunnySkull

Ya know, in many parts of the world, it is considered very impolite to ask what you do for a living. This is something that is offered, not asked about.

As well, there is no reason other than curiosity (then ask them, not else-wise), for this type of trolling, frankly it is none of your business.

:grouch::whistling::biggrin:

By the same token, in the US where all these SPs live, asking what you do for a living is probably the very first and most common question asked after being introduced to someone. (But asking how much you make is considered rude and totally inappropriate.)

I think Rathbun and Headleys were answered in a previous post (Headley has been using his immense audio-visual tech skills to make a living since leaving the SO, so he did at least learn something useful at Gold unlike too many others.)

It was mentioned on Marty's blog 2 years ago that Rinder worked for Ex- Scio whale Robert Almebad (sp). It came up when Rinder was harassed at a expo conference, he was at it to help promote an ice machine design by Almeblad, by Squirrel Busters. Idk if he still has a working relationship with him. I will say that having run a blog myself that, whatever else he does, running a blog with as much content as his - takes almost as much time as a full time job. Idk if it's a total labor of love or if donations help defray the huge amount of time it takes - but it is a LOT of work. I'm very glad he was able to fill the void left when Marty had to scale back at his blog d/t the lawsuit. It's an invaluable site for new exes especially.

Gib

Crusader
Mark headley has a very successful business installing sound systems, stages etc. His wife Claire has a book keeping business. Amy has a successful business with her husband matt. No idea what Mike Rinder does

that makes sense for Mark, since he probably self taught himself doing that kind of work at Int base. Claire too actually since she was sort of a book keeper in a sense too while on [STRIKE]staff[/STRIKE] slave at Int base.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
IMHO it should not matter enough to ask, if it was genuine concern then you'd just ask the person. In all consideration though, people do seem to do much better out of the cult, than in.
In some ways I think that the human work ethic (from being a slave in a cult) is really something that, in some weird twisted way ala LRon, can be used, though there are many other ways that can/was be gained. (going off topic, i stops)
I maintain that it is rude to ask certain things without certain levels of familiarity, but each to their own, and on the flip-side, often well to say it is none of yer business too.

:)

Sindy

Crusader
By the same token, in the US where all these SPs live, asking what you do for a living is probably the very first and most common question asked after being introduced to someone. (But asking how much you make is considered rude and totally inappropriate.)

I think Rathbun and Headleys were answered in a previous post (Headley has been using his immense audio-visual tech skills to make a living since leaving the SO, so he did at least learn something useful at Gold unlike too many others.)

It was mentioned on Marty's blog 2 years ago that Rinder worked for Ex- Scio whale Robert Almebad (sp). It came up when Rinder was harassed at a expo conference, he was at it to help promote an ice machine design by Almeblad, by Squirrel Busters. Idk if he still has a working relationship with him. I will say that having run a blog myself that, whatever else he does, running a blog with as much content as his - takes almost as much time as a full time job. Idk if it's a total labor of love or if donations help defray the huge amount of time it takes - but it is a LOT of work. I'm very glad he was able to fill the void left when Marty had to scale back at his blog d/t the lawsuit. It's an invaluable site for new exes especially.

Certainly in any country talking about people (gossip) while they're not around is never a crowd pleaser. I mean really, what was the purpose of the OP? Just to have friendly banter about what these people do? I find that distasteful, frankly. If you want to know, ask them yourself. Otherwise, who gives a shit.

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
Well, suppose the OP was doing a Doubt Formula, and had to compare the true statistics of two groups, brushing aside all bias and prejudice. Are they making ten times what they made while on staff, or a hundred times?

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
Well, suppose the OP was doing a Doubt Formula, and had to compare the true statistics of two groups, brushing aside all bias and prejudice. Are they making ten times what they made while on staff, or a hundred times?

Money money money, gah, but. is everybody happy?

:p

Gib

Crusader
Money money money, gah, but. is everybody happy?

:p

I'd agree familiarity. I know the folks I ask such questions too.

I don't make that much money, I make a living, I'm doing what I want to do, I'd like to make more, but I'm also happy.

BunnySkull

Certainly in any country talking about people (gossip) while they're not around is never a crowd pleaser. I mean really, what was the purpose of the OP? Just to have friendly banter about what these people do? I find that distasteful, frankly. If you want to know, ask them yourself. Otherwise, who gives a shit.

I didn't ask the question. Just pointed out that in the US asking what someone does is for a living is far from "offensive" or "rude" question. Asking what a person does, while they are not around, isn't rude either. I've been in plenty of social gatherings where someone's name is mentioned and in a friendly manner someone will inquire "oh, what do they do?" hell, it's considered a basic conversation starter in the US.

It is weird at how touchy the subject is around here. One's livelihood isn't generally a super private or secretive matter. I'm pretty sure most people the OP asked about would be more than happy to give them a general answer to the question. It's usually considered odd or suspicious if someone is highly secretitive about what they do. However, in my neck of the US it just usually means they grow pot for a living. Lol.

The over reaction to the inquiry does cast it all in an odd light, like it IS some super secret matter, when it's not. You're actually fanning the flames of suspicion when you over react to such a mundane question and accuse someone of trolling for even asking. Unless I missed the memo on it being a top secret subject not to be discussed.

Sindy

Crusader
I didn't ask the question. Just pointed out that in the US asking what someone does is for a living is far from "offensive" or "rude" question. Asking what a person does, while they are not around, isn't rude either. I've been in plenty of social gatherings where someone's name is mentioned and in a friendly manner someone will inquire "oh, what do they do?" hell, it's considered a basic conversation starter in the US.

It is weird at how touchy the subject is around here. One's livelihood isn't generally a super private or secretive matter. I'm pretty sure most people the OP asked about would be more than happy to give them a general answer to the question. It's usually considered odd or suspicious if someone is highly secretitive about what they do. However, in my neck of the US it just usually means they grow pot for a living. Lol.

The over reaction to the inquiry does cast it all in an odd light, like it IS some super secret matter, when it's not. You're actually fanning the flames of suspicion when you over react to such a mundane question and accuse someone of trolling for even asking. Unless I missed the memo on it being a top secret subject not to be discussed.

The question isn't the point. It's the intention. What is the purpose of the thread? Really, this is an embarrassingly stupid thread. It has nothing to do with some taboo about asking an American how much he or she makes. The point is that the Americans in question are not here and are not being asked themselves. Anyway, I wish not to belabor the point. I feel like I've gotten ensnared into some trap even caring about it enough to comment. It's just ridiculous. :)

Jump

Operating teatime
IMHO it should not matter enough to ask, if it was genuine concern then you'd just ask the person. In all consideration though, people do seem to do much better out of the cult, than in.
In some ways I think that the human work ethic (from being a slave in a cult) is really something that, in some weird twisted way ala LRon, can be used, though there are many other ways that can/was be gained. (going off topic, i stops)
I maintain that it is rude to ask certain things without certain levels of familiarity, but each to their own, and on the flip-side, often well to say it is none of yer business too.

:)

But you don't seem to realise .. their certificates get cancelled!

</ScioSpeak> :duh: