What's new

My (new) Philosophy

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I’ve had a lot of time to think lately and a lot of that thinking has been about what is it I want for myself in the way of spiritual fulfilment.

It’s a new question for me as for nearly 30 years my philosophy was “solved” for me because I was a devout Scientologist and all I felt I had to do was follow those teachings to live the perfect life. And so everything I did and thought and said I evaluated through what Scientology taught was correct or incorrect.

Prior to that, I was usually too stoned or drunk to coherently speak, let alone ponder any deep and meaningful reasons for my life or anyone else’s. In my moments of abstinence I flirted with various philosophies and had decided Buddhism fitted my life and experiences.

After finally deciding recently that I desperately needed to do something to fill the huge void left by renouncing Scientology as a career choice, I had a talk with a very spiritual lady and I realized I lost my way in life when I became an atheist as a twelve-year-old in high school. Soon after that, I began to flirt with drugs as they filled the emptiness I felt when I decided death was the end and what I did in between now and then wasn’t probably going to make a difference to anything, one way or the other.

It’s taken over forty years for me to get back to the path I was heading down back then. I haven’t been in control of my life at all in that time, if I want to be bluntly honest with myself. Back then I had hopes and dreams and several possible career paths mapped out for myself. They all fell under the bus of my self-destruction by drugs and alcohol.

So for the last two years I’ve been again drifting aimlessly with only a determination to end the abuses of Scientology as the focus for my life. Oh yes, I’ve re-discovered a lot of pleasures I’d denied myself as an “on-purpose Scientologist” and life has been steadily getting better and better and my relationships with people and life in general have improved out of sight. And I believe I’ve achieved some amazing things in these two years despite the obstacles I’ve hit. But I haven’t really had a direction, despite searching earnestly for one.

But the trap I fell into was I wasn’t looking for a direction for ME. I was after a career path or how I could fix relationships with people I’d estranged or how I could safeguard my future or something other than what was the direction I needed to look for ME. And, as someone who recently turned 54, I was getting frantic. My body isn’t really up to being a labourer any more and anyway it doesn’t pay enough to put my kids through school and maybe university or set myself up for a graceful retirement from the workforce.

But happily it’s all beginning to untangle now that I’ve asked myself the right question – what do I want for my own personal sake as a spiritual being, however you may define a “spiritual being.” And what is it that’s made me feel good about myself and has helped others at the same time?

It all comes down to stories.

I love stories. Any stories. I’ve always had people tell me their stories on the train or bus or wherever I met them, even total strangers. I loved hitchhiking around because I got to sit in a car or a truck and hear the driver’s stories. I love giving lifts to strangers because I got to hear their stories. I loved being a Scientology counsellor because I got to hear people’s stories. I talk to strangers all the time – in the carpark at the shops, at the kids’ school, at a new job, everywhere I go. I’ve always done it and I just thought it was what everybody did.

And people love to tell stories. We all have our stories and they are all unique to us. It seems to me now that we all have our own lessons to learn from life and we have to do that for ourselves. No system of belief or thought can ever replace the process of living and learning from life, no matter how much it promises to.

And I believe now that it’s an essential part of my life that I’ve overlooked. Because if you are just going to learn from life by living it, that’s going to take a hell of a long time.

But if you listen carefully to the lives of others, you’ll see the lessons they’ve been trying to teach themselves. Not always successfully, but they’ve been trying nevertheless. That’s what I now believe.

Everyone and maybe even everything has a story to tell. I think that’s why gossip magazines and newspapers and soap operas are so popular. They all tell stories that don’t involve any effort on the part of the listener to seek out new people to listen to. We all crave stories to learn from.

I still haven’t solved all my life problems just by realizing this. But I don’t expect to. I don’t believe life can be solved suddenly and dramatically anymore. I guess ending thirty years as a deluded cult member thoroughly taught me THAT particular lesson. And I happily pass it on to others, hoping that it saves them the time I used up learning that.

So – I hope this helps you too. I’ve no idea if it’s true for everybody or not. I just know that it seems right for me and so I’m going to stick with it and see where it takes me.

I think I’m in for a hell of a ride.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Nicely put Paul, I am rooting for you mate, of anyone I know you deserve the best and that is what I hope for you.

Lots of love,
James

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
:goodposting: Scooter.

Life is full of lessons. I think you just have to evaluate it as you go, extracting every bit of truth that you can along the way.

Maybe there is a reason we all got into Scientology. It sure did attract an interesting array of people, and mostly very good people. I don't think the reason was that Scientology was the be all and end all, that's for sure. But the subjective experience of being drawn in to a cult is something else! Do we now know how to spring the ultimate mind trap? Do we have some mission to straighten out the mess in CoS? Salvage some people trapped in there? All of the above?

Good luck on your personal journey, Scooter. :goodluck:

RogerB

Crusader
Nice, Scoots!

Well done on sorting that out.

It looks like you might just have found the answer to the question: "What game are you playing?"

It's an important find, Mate!

Well done.

Rog

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
I think it's a grand plan. :)

I've had the same experience of people telling me stories (and I can tell some too :D) and I love it. The other day I had a marvellous conversation with an 89 year old lady at a bus stop, wow was she inspiring and funny.

Often you can find that the questions going around in your head can be answered in real life....if you listen. I remember realising years ago that no matter how dramatic some parts of my life may have been, there are millions of people out there experiencing life as well and the to and fro of real listening and telling can bring new ways of looking at life. We couldn't do this with a built in automatic response system in our scientology heads that distorted the input.

Good on ya mate.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
<snip> It all comes down to stories. </snip>
.. And everything else told.. Think about 'knowledge'.. about everything n' odds and ends. History is this.. So we can know about Caesar and Napoleon.. The invention of writing somewhen, that enabled stories to be preserved.. Science! - All the discoveries accumulating.. So that we can have a handheld computer/phone to hear more stories with.

We can fly! - Ordinary and even boring these days.. But we fly across the world and even to the moon, albeit the latter is still newsworthy.

The sophistication of our minds and knowledge has become an awesome thing! - Civilization right now is the highest ever achieved by man, or so it seems..

Hot Day'um! - I'm impressed!

:yes:

Scooter,

You should write down the stories you've heard. It is a valuable thing to historians and future generations.

Plus you'll have the pleasure of reliving it all again.

The Anabaptist Jacques

FinallyMe

Silver Meritorious Patron
GREAT post, Scooter! While reading, I realized that I had come to essentially the same conclusion, and that hearing other people's "life lessons" helps a great deal. It's very helpful to hear my own realization stated in other terms - it helps to clarify it. THANKS!

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scooter,

You should write down the stories you've heard. It is a valuable thing to historians and future generations.

Plus you'll have the pleasure of reliving it all again.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Funnily enough, TAJ, I've been doing just that.:D

I've moved 1,200 k.s recently and am in the middle of the inevitable upheaval that creates so my time to visit esmb is strictly limited but I collected a lot of stories from people who went through the bushfires last year in Victoria and sketched them down - a hell of a lot of interesting and heart-wrenching stuff there from just working as a labourer on a casual basis and listening to their tales at lunchtime.

I've also been getting stories from my fqmily very avidly too - and finding that there was a whole world of interesting stuff going on that I missed.

Plus I've been writing more of my own stories too - hope to get them up for you all to share. So thanks everybody for the nice comments here - I'll be a stranger for a bit more yet as moving is such a pain in the behind and we,ve hit a few unexpected hiccups but I'LL BE BACK:coolwink:

FoTi

Crusader
This is great Scooter! I love stories.....always have. Instead of show and tell, stories are live and tell. You just gave me some good ideas, Scooter. Thank you. :thumbsup:

cantsay

Patron Meritorious
My dad was a brickie, and as a kid I loved to hear the stories he would come home with from work. Funny people doing funny things, the sort of stuff only someone at the top of a wall watching the world go by gets to see. He loved to tell them. He also got stories from his clients - racehorse owners, vineyard employees, families, immigrants - he got stories from them all. I wish he had written them all down!
I still tell some of those stories to people now, and hopefully will to my kids one day.

Something my grandfather told me when I was finishing uni, was to keep a diary of all the things I did and where I went when I traveled - for work I have travelled a lot. So I did, and Im hoping one day I can put it all together in a book and hand it down to my kids, like my grandfather did with his just before he passed away. I love telling my funny stories to other people (did I tell you about the time a pocupine ate my tent? Or the time I was nearly arrested in Brazil? Or the time I got yodelled at in a US laundromat? etc etc) I love it, hopefully Ill have my very own collection of stories similar to the book "Dont tell Mum I work on the rigs".

Good on you for finding a passion - I hope you have a ball!